Meanwhile the AI in Jakarta...

Crikey, I'm on Immortal as Washington, settled a mountain in a sea of desert hills with Lake Victoria and that's kind of what my capital looks like :D

Same thing last night on Immortal. Babylon had tons of wonders (14 in total going into Renaissance not counting nationals) he also had 9 city states as his allies and the highest 22 pop capital.

Playing as America I was right next to him. My start involved me rushing for Petra since almost all my tiles but 4 benefited from it. I thought I had to stop Babylon as he was also still 9% ahead in literacy I got my minutemen and Cannons before he had any equivalent military tech and went after him but it was just impossible. He only had 3 cities but they where so close plus the Great Wall and the fact that he was getting free units from all his allies. I couldn't even set up canons well cause of really bad terrain.

I eventually just quit. No way should he have that many city states (they where all like 150 influence as well) and so many wonders. I had the best GNP I don't see how he was buying them all off I believe he only had 2 polices in Patronage.

What speed were you playing on? Unless it's Quick, I usually nominate a CS as my whipping boy and farm xp to get a bunch of Range Logistics Xbows and a couple of GGs. I've yet to meet a preindustrial Great Wall that can stand up to that kind of onslaught.

It would be helpful for everybody if he settled new cities in different continents. If you know what I mean.

I have only played a couple BNW games, but I am only using the new civs for now. I have yet to see Indonesia settle off-continent, and I am not playing Pangaea or anything, so the opportunities are there. Does the Indonesian AI routinely fail to make use of his UA? That would be a shame.

I have only played a couple BNW games, but I am only using the new civs for now. I have yet to see Indonesia settle off-continent, and I am not playing Pangaea or anything, so the opportunities are there. Does the Indonesian AI routinely fail to make use of his UA? That would be a shame.

I played as Siam on a Ring map with Jungle as the dominant terrain, and there were only a few islands in the middle of the central ocean with tundra :confused: terrain. That was where the world's sum total of three city-states were located (just great for my Siamese UA...) but there was still room for three decent cities which Indonesia could have used to get Nutmeg, Cloves, and Pepper. As usual they only bothered to take one of those sites. Late in the game I settled one of those tundra islands to get furs to trade. The AI really doesn't know how to use some of the UAs.

I played as Siam on a Ring map with Jungle as the dominant terrain, and there were only a few islands in the middle of the central ocean with tundra :confused: terrain. That was where the world's sum total of three city-states were located (just great for my Siamese UA...) but there was still room for three decent cities which Indonesia could have used to get Nutmeg, Cloves, and Pepper. As usual they only bothered to take one of those sites. Late in the game I settled one of those tundra islands to get furs to trade. The AI really doesn't know how to use some of the UAs.
To be fair, doesn't the Indonesian cities have to be on different land masses each time, or am I mistaken?

Yes, but I am reading Kirin to be saying that the islands inside the ring provided good opportunity for that. For Indonesia UA, a 1-hex island == different land mass than cap. I don't think the Indonesian AI know about its UA at all. And maybe it has a low expansion flavor?

Right, I read an island instead of "a few islands", so that was my mistake.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/631913116748722606/9D92667E33E7A1BB146B30EA405B8C2E0EE27B7D/

;)

A rather old screenshot from 2012 or 2013, but as one can see I faced a very similar shocking moment when revealing Rio by around Turn 100 ...

Lost that game in the end, because I was unable to invade Brazil because of a very bad coastal line of his Island, which made his capital impossible to reach with SoTL.

When he reached Bombers all he did was building them, when I gave up he had like 60(!) of them in his cities (that was the days when it was still possible).

Top Bottom