They really should fix peace deals.

Sharples

Prince
An AI declares war on you, pretty typical right?

AI doesn't bring any units or very little units to your borders. Still typical.....

AI offers one of it's biggest cities or all of it's luxuries, GPT and Gold just for peace, even if you don't counter-attack.

Plz fix it. I've seen it with other cities where Spain was losing a war against Germany and Spain had a city WITH LAKE VICTORIA IN IT. And she just gave it away in a peace deal. Wtf?

I must say I always have to fight for a favourable peace deal. I have to either destroy their entire invasion force, start pillaging his lands, destroy trade routes and, my favourite, destroy their entire navy/fishing boats.

I get silly, broken peace deals too. If they offer a city, you can also ask for lots of GPT or luxes instead. Or you can sell the city to another civ for lots of GPT.

One time I sold an enemy city to Atilla and he gave me something like 25gpt for it. Then he razed the city. :lol:

I think firaxis is of the opinion it's working as designed.

AI does not actually care about unit loses much. (And why would it on high difficulty levels where it can replace units as fast as it loses them?)

It instead cares about economic loses, if you capture an AI city they'll be willing to talk. If all your doing is killing their attack waves as they come in, then they don't care. This is the main reason to avoid "Swords into Ploughshares", since you can be in a position where the fastest path to overall victory is just killing anything the AI sends your way but ignoring the war by continuing your normal peacetime builds. (This is particularly the case during portions of the game in which defense is stronger the offense)

It also does care about what it's military adviser thinks, so sometimes you can bring them to the peace table by upgrading Crossbows to Gatling Guns even if you prefer the range of the Crossbow in combat.

It makes some sense even if all you've done is hold the line and smashed their army. They ought to be worried about your counterattack... it has to assume you're planning one even if you're not.

Higher difficulties will offset this as they can replace losses fast enough that the AI never feels 'behind'. Taking one of their cities gets their attention, but you might have to stack the bodies ten deep to make that happen.

It's why I find Honor (and the Aztecs) better on higher difficulties. Lower level AIs can't feed the finisher bonus of Honor and the Aztec's UA well enough, but that problem vanishes on a higher difficulty.

There should be some actual negotiation involved in diplomacy. Civs should be trying to get an advantage, but you should be able to make an actual counter-offer that is modified by circumstances like the size of your military.

There's no gambling involved in diplomacy, and so it's rather boring. Everything seems to be a fixed value.

But unless Firaxis decides to take a serious look at the underwhelming diplomacy, it seems that we will forever be trading our luxuries for 7 gold per turn (or maybe 8 gpt if they really, really like us.)

that has never happened to me the AI always sends tons of units my way and i have to counter attack for them to offer me a good peace deal it must be the difficulty your playing on

In my experience all that the AI considers when checking whether they are losing or winning a war is the military score they have compared to the military score you have.

So let's say an AI declares war on you, loses 20 units and 3 cities (while you lose none) but it still has overall more "pointed sticks", they think they are winning and when dealing for peace they'll ask YOU to pay them even though they are clearly getting owned.

On a completely different case they declare war on you even though you are miles away (this often happens when they were bribed or convinced to attack you by another civ) and never once in 30 turns you even get close to attack each others, but! Somehow in those turns you managed to build several strong military units. Then they'll think they are losing the war and they will offer their cities for a peace treaty.

Now it's not wrong that they consider the military strength in their equation, but they should also keep track of either loses to each sides since the start of the war. Unfortunately that's not the case, and there isn't much that can be done about that.

The AI is completely stupid and boring to play against. Play with humans.....

The AI is completely stupid and boring to play against. Play with humans.....

The trouble with MP is that people often use Exploitative Tactics that are not ethical at best. One example is building the Great Wall, and then never researching Dynamite (which makes it obsolete) on a Pangaea Map. Tactics of that nature get quite annoying very quickly in MP. As such, playing a serious MP game usually requires a lengthy pre-game discussion/agreement as to what Tactics are not allowed. In many cases people get shirty about 'so many rules' and pop off after saying something rude to everyone :(

Top Bottom