Roman Gold City

GhOsTCiV

Chieftain
When playing the Romans, what is the best and quickest way to establish a strong gold city?

I usually go for currency and put the free market in a city thats equal in growth and gp. But I want production too. So I find a good spot with fish, whales dye and hills. I want the hills for a free workshop/ free market combo. Usually this is hard to accomplish because im looking for this spot on the mainland. Now why do I want the hills? Well I want to get a bank, couthouse, harbor, collosus, trade fare in this city. So to cut down the time to get these buildings production from hills with a workshop should help.

Is this the best way to go? whats everyones opinion?

I don't usually go this route, because this means you'll be combining your gold and wonder/production city early. Of course you want to get as many production cities as you can with the Romans, but lots of times the map only give you about 2 or 3 if you are lucky, and usually that means finding Oak in a city that you don't get the free workshop in.

Basically, you'll be robbing yourself of early gold, because you will be splitting time in between your production, gold and growth, and it's not always easy to find a bunch of hills with fish next to it.

I prefer to get my market in one city, and then find a city that has some growth, and is surrounded by at least three hills, and put my free workshop city there. then get hanging gardens, barracks, and any other wonder I can get, with a priority on East India Company. Later you can get Leonardos Workshop easily. You can go the cultural route in the city really easy, get a temple and Shakespears theatre, but this is usually only when I run out of wonders to build in that city. And then later get Oxford at the right time.

The gold from the market city early on will help you get more units and settlers, and make you a lot more balanced. If you get the workshop and market in the same city, you're basically shooting for an eventual gold powerhouse on a rare city location. The true power of that city won't kick in till later in the game. If you build Trade Fair in a production city, it's basically a market, and then you can go back and get the market pretty easily with the gold you'll be raking in.

Once I get done moving houses, the Roman strategy that me and Pedal2Medal from 2kforums, it will be posted hopefully as soon as I get the time to write it up.

I already wrote 2 romans strategies, don't you like them? I have hardly ever lost games with those strategies and I'm writing the third one maybe. If you want a good production city, to build wonders I mean, you should look for:

2 grasslands - 2 hills at least, that will be at least 6 production, not huge, but then with hanging gardens you can better it. You can still use the settlers, adding them to that city. I don't think market plus workshop is a good idea.

I like your strategy but you dont go to in depth with it. Which with the Romans you need to go in depth because they are a harder civ to play with. I follow the expansion part. My tech tree looks like this

Bronze - Archers
Pottery
Masonry - Wall... why not and its on the way to irrigation
Irrigation - Give all the cities an extra pop
Currency - Get the Free Market for units and settlers
Lit- Plus 1 sci in each city
Construction - Free workshop for the Production/Growth city
Iron working - Legions, might get this tech earlier depends on the situation Or I might just buy the tech.
Math
Navi - Hit the ISlands
Democ

I should Have 15-20 cities by this point. I hit up the Libraries and Finish the Game with a oxford Advance flight kill or do whatever by this point.

I like your strategy but you dont go to in depth with it. Which with the Romans you need to go in depth because they are a harder civ to play with. I follow the expansion part. My tech tree looks like this

Bronze - Archers
Pottery
Masonry - Wall... why not and its on the way to irrigation
Irrigation - Give all the cities an extra pop
Currency - Get the Free Market for units and settlers
Lit- Plus 1 sci in each city
Construction - Free workshop for the Production/Growth city
Iron working - Legions, might get this tech earlier depends on the situation Or I might just buy the tech.
Math
Navi - Hit the ISlands
Democ

I should Have 15-20 cities by this point. I hit up the Libraries and Finish the Game with a oxford Advance flight kill or do whatever by this point.

Why do you buy iron working? You just have to switch or backfill it. If you see others got it, just switc to science and get at least 30 beakers, without working on it.

I would get literacy before currency, really, literacy is a bonus for the long run.

Why do you buy iron working? You just have to switch or backfill it. If you see others got it, just switc to science and get at least 30 beakers, without working on it.

I would get literacy before currency, really, literacy is a bonus for the long run.

Ur right about Iron working. Currency is for the long run too. It can generate 12-20 gold per turn when you get the free market. The Free caravan can get you 50-100 gold which is nice. Plus if theres no chinese I can get lit right after currency no problem. But all in all Lit is more for the long run.

Top Bottom