When is a small map too small?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Hi everyone. I recently started a new game on a small map, but I wasn't expecting it to be as small as it is. I've played standard size on the last two games but got tired of having to change production on 50 plus cities after I took over most of the known world.:crazyeye:

One turn was taking forever, so I decided to try a small map this time. But I have to say the small map is probably less than 1/4 of a standard one. Is there any map size that is sort of in between small and standard?:confused:

Hmmmmm? Thanks for any ideas. :)

If you raise the water level and remove ~2 civs on a standard size map or lower water and add ~2 civs to a small map you should get what your looking for.

Hum, you can always mod, this part is in one XML file.

But yes, you can raise or lower water level to change ratio of land to water.

The Ice Age scripts also have the effect of reducing the number of cities that it's possible to found. So Standard size on that might also be what your looking for.

Also, I think there is a map that earth tidally locked to the sun, and that script has bigger than normal sizes, so the Small size on that might also be.

Note that religion founding is actually set by map size instead of number of starting players, so playing a standard map size with fewer than normal major AIs will cause a higher percentage of players to found religions.

In addition, the standard map size actually has a 110% modifier to tech costs. (On small and below its 100%) and so tech rate is faster on a map whose size is small with 6 civs than it is a on standard map size with 6 civs.

Standard size archipelago might give you what you're looking for as well. Just build a navy! Not too much land for cities but retains all the terrain types in their set ratios (with the exception of ocean of course).

Choose Standard Size, up your Difficulty, and play Tall instead of Wide if you dislike sprawling Empires that make for long Late Game Turn Times.

Top Bottom