Votes: 3 0.6%
  • University of Sankore

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Versailles

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • The Internet

Votes: 44 8.5%

• Total voters
The Mausoleum is one of the top tier wonders anytime you can afford to build it. It's often far better than the Taj in every way - if you get 2 or more golden ages it beats or ties the Taj for every benefit, and is cheaper and earlier.

That caveat fails though, because the assumption that you have ALL the techs in the game before completing the ship is somewhat ridiculous. If you're trying to actually end the game sooner, you research the technologies you need first. I showed that even a very dismal hammer empire can build the last ship part in 10 normal speed turn or less usually, which means even if robotics is the first thing you tech after researching techs you *actually need*, you would have to research robotics, build space elevator, and do so before your part completes + soon enough that it affects construction speed.

Not likely.

Really? Well, you and I must be playing very differently (which does seem probable), but I'm inevitably finished the tech tree before launch. Not being a complete imbecile, I don't research anything I don't need :rolleyes:, but when the game is over and during the lag between discovering Fusion and Composites (they always seem to be the last spaceship techs I get) and building engines and casings, or because I have the internet (normal in spacerace games) the chances are I'm going to pick up Robotics. And all the other techs too. Am I doing something wrong?

In any case, I can hardly be construed as defending the Space Elevator by describing it as something you build out of sheer boredom when the game is already won, so there's no need for you to get all red in the face and call me ridiculous, you cheeky youngling. :lol:

TMIT's crankiness aside, the Shwedagon Paya is a good wonder. Most of the techs that unlock religious civics are very skippable. SP makes them completely skippable, unless you want the wonders. And Free Religion is often worth going for first out of all the religious civics.

Why so many people hating on the Chicken Pizza? If I've got access to stone, it's usually one of my automatic choices. 25% Defense on the cities stacks very nicely with hilltops and units with defensive bonuses. Obviously without stone, I wouldn't bother with it, but it's hardly the worst wonder on the list. That's reserved for the MoM, probably.

If you have 2 Golden ages, then the Mausolleum becomes practically as good as the Taj.

@everyone on the Shwedagon
So if you have Gold then its 225 hammers, I could see it if your spiritual or are somehow able to run pacifism without getting dogpiled. I guess its not the worst, but I've never given it a passing glance.

Really? Well, you and I must be playing very differently (which does seem probable), but I'm inevitably finished the tech tree before launch. Not being a complete imbecile, I don't research anything I don't need :rolleyes:, but when the game is over and during the lag between discovering Fusion and Composites (they always seem to be the last spaceship techs I get) and building engines and casings, or because I have the internet (normal in spacerace games) the chances are I'm going to pick up Robotics. And all the other techs too. Am I doing something wrong?

In any case, I can hardly be construed as defending the Space Elevator by describing it as something you build out of sheer boredom when the game is already won, so there's no need for you to get all red in the face and call me ridiculous, you cheeky youngling. :lol:

TMIT's crankiness aside, the Shwedagon Paya is a good wonder. Most of the techs that unlock religious civics are very skippable. SP makes them completely skippable, unless you want the wonders. And Free Religion is often worth going for first out of all the religious civics.

You want to get composites quick because you need to build 5 casings.

I always tech fusion and then ecology(? the one that lets you build the life support - a cheapo part) as my last 2 techs. Sometimes it's worth beelining to fusion though especially if an extra great engineer allows you to start another golden age.

A golden age is going to be a lot better though ;)

EDIT: As soon as you finish the last tech you want to have all your towns turn into workshops/farms the same turn (use your workers to replace the town with the required improvement until it would only take 1 turn to replace).

You also want to have pre-chopped any remaining forests around any cities building parts as well.

You want to get composites quick because you need to build 5 casings.

I always tech fusion and then ecology(? the one that lets you build the life support - a cheapo part) as my last 2 techs. Sometimes it's worth beelining to fusion though especially if an extra great engineer allows you to start another golden age.

If you go for computers + internet:

Superconductors ----> genetics ----> Fission/fiber optics/fusion ----> Satellites/composites ------> ecology

It is OK to flip genetics and fusion, if you think you can get something from internet that way or the fusion race is tight and you want the engineer for a golden age.

Reasoning: This gives you access to the more expensive parts earlier, and assumes you have at least 5-6 cities geared to build parts or one very powerful city (if you aren't running OCC, there is no reason you shouldn't). Ecology has the easiest part to construct in the game and you have a small chance of grabbing it from internet, so either way it makes a good last tech...you can build casings in 5 cities at once and make up production variances between them by building the ecology part in one that finishes early (or one that was previously working on the engines). A good hammer city can build that last part very, very quickly, while your other cities had more time to work on the others.

I can't think of a single variation on the space tech order path that would give you time to research MULTIPLE TECHNOLOGIES before finishing the ship, unless your hammer output is downright terrible and tech rate is stupidly amazing (cmon man, build some workshops, it's not hard to get 30-50 base :hammers:, and usually possible to get much more). If you are able to research robotics and somehow build the space elevator and actually save a turn on it after you've completed ecology, you're doing something wrong or there's a way to do this quickly that I've not seen (nor has anyone put on this thread or otherwise).

People seem to be shying away from attempting to prove the math behind teching robotics and building space elevator for some reason.

Wonder why.

People seem to be shying away from attempting to prove the math behind teching robotics and building space elevator for some reason.

Wonder why.

People can't resist posting "Chicken Pizza".
- :crazyeye:

I can't think of a single variation on the space tech order path that would give you time to research MULTIPLE TECHNOLOGIES before finishing the ship

Are you telling me that you have never got into the future techs before launch? :eek: Now I'm beginning to wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong...although Space is not my favourite way to win by any means so I'm probably not very good at it.

I often have say a dozen cities at the very most building spaceship parts at one time. I either can't build any more because I haven't got the techs; or it's actually faster to wait for my 70+ base hammer city to finish what it's building and then build something else than it is to build a part in an inferior city; or, there are just not enough parts left to build. All the other cities, of which there might be twenty or so, build wealth until I'm at 100% science, and then they build research. When my last half-dozen parts are being finished it's quite trivial to finish the tech tree, especially with the internet. This really doesn't seem so far-fetched to me (and I've done it numerous times), but whatever.

Stop researching when you research the last tech for quickest finish. There's no need to get Future Techs unless you need health and happiness in part building cities.

Future Tech is just for increasing your score.

Stop researching when you research the last tech for quickest finish. There's no need to get Future Techs unless you need health and happiness in part building cities.

Future Tech is just for increasing your score.

But how can teching slow down your spacehip parts? I don't get it.

It can be handy to have some techs at hand for trades too, for the sake of late-game diplomacy.

You turn your towns into workshops or farms/watermills (if you need to support the pop to work the workshops).

But how can teching slow down your spacehip parts? I don't get it.
You don't build SS parts with techs, but with hammers ... if you're teching faster than you can build SS parts , that is a clear symthom that you are not putting enough hammers/turn in the SS parts ... in other words, some of those towns could become watermills or workshops :p

Bah, one always has to repeat one's self around here. I blame the internets for the lack of attention spans. :mischief:

To reiterate:

I often have say a dozen cities at the very most building spaceship parts at one time. I either can't build any more because I haven't got the techs; or it's actually faster to wait for my 70+ base hammer city to finish what it's building and then build something else than it is to build a part in an inferior city; or, there are just not enough parts left to build.

To labour the painfully obvious - I'm a moderately intelligent person. I know I don't need non-spaceship part techs to build a spaceship. But when the game is over, who really cares? How can using my surplus, idle cities to tech possibly slow down my spaceship building? Or to put it another way, how can idle cities speed up launch when there aren't enough parts to go around? :crazyeye:

To imply that I am stupid because I'm not building spaceship parts when I should be is doing a disservice to us all by deflecting the discussion from what is actually being discussed. More importantly, who even cares? This is a discussion about the most irrelevant wonder in all of civ. We've wasted too many words on it already. Let's just agree that the Space Elevator is garbage and leave it at that, shall we? :goodjob:

@ Rolo - trust me, I build workshops and watermills. In fact, I build very little else but workshops and watermills. :D

You can always try to oracle Robotics when trying to launch before 1AD.

Sh. Paya is occasionally useful when you're trying to save great scientists on non-Liberalism paths.

which makes me wonder (see what I did there? :) Ah whatever :sad:), in regular game there is the mission into another solar system with our current technology and it has SE while you have mission to MARS which starts much later in Next War. Very weird. Anyone understands what I'm talking about?

What an ignorant idiot I am... :blush: I actually thought that in "Next War" you build the space ship to go to mars instead of alpha centaur. That's why I found it weird and it didn't make any sense to me! :wallbash:
Now that I actually read the entry in civilopedia, it seems that you do mission to mars IN ORDER to then build interstellar ship to alpha centaur, like you do Apollo program in regular game. :blush::blush::blush::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:
Now it makes sense. What an idiot! :wallbash:

Paya would be better if it came a lot earlier (Think Stonehenge early). It comes close to pacifism which really hurts it.

Itza Chicken is so expensive and good if you are being invaded. But if you are being invaded you best build some units instead of wonders.

TOA is one I don't like a lot because of the GP points you can't expect what you are going to get which can be problematic.

Notre Dame comes with engineering which the AI likes and is expensive itself. All for +2 to the :) cap.

Why are people saying SOZ? great for denial and culture fights because it comes with aesthetics which most humans are first to.

Top Bottom