Why can't I see the AI's trade routes?

Its really annoying. I can see my own trade routes, but now those of the AI (if this is wrong and I can see them somehow then please tell me how).

Why is this? Trade routes aren't some kind of war secret, so why can't I see AI trade routes just like my own? When I want to know whom the AI is trading with and from where not being able to know is very annoying.

They've never been hidden from me from what I remember.

So you see some waves in the ocean, and you think "a cargo ship must have passed here 10 turns ago". Or something.

It is logical you don't see AI trade routes, but only when you see the Caravan/Ship yourself. Makes for better gameplay too.

You see it of you mouse-over a cargo ship or a caravan, I think.

Yes. When an AI Cargo Ship/Caravan passes by, you can hover your cursor over it to see its route.

Also, the Tile Description box (The one that appears above the world map when you hover your cursor over the tile) will tell you all the Trade Routes that transverse that tile.

It is logical you don't see AI trade routes, but only when you see the Caravan/Ship yourself. Makes for better gameplay too.

How is logical and why does it make for better gameplay? Trade routes aren't some secret military operations that are kept hidden, they are just civs trading goods with each other. They aren't something that should (or realistically, could) be kept hidden.

If the game already feels it is ok to show me the AI trade routes if I hover the mouse over an AI trade unit, then why can't it just show me the AI trade routes in the same manner I can see my own trade routes as well?

Having to manually locate an AI trade unit and then hover my mouse over it every single time I want to see where the AI is trading is very annoying, not to mention that it doesn't actually allow you to see all of the AI's trade routes.

Yeah, it must be annoying not to see everything about your opponents. You should be able to go into each of their cities at any time to see their information just as you would all of your cities. :rolleyes:

Also on the declare war new window you can see if they have trade routes to your cities.

but i think this information should be accesible by some menu, this game lacks all that advanced ways to get information: no graphs, you should at least be able to view AI status with one another (guarded, friendly, etc), they tried to simplify the spionage window but its a mess (try it on a huge map), etc, etc.

guess you can blame all those casual gamers that dont spend money on a game if thay dont understand a graph...

So you see some waves in the ocean, and you think "a cargo ship must have passed here 10 turns ago". Or something.

i thought the waves were a graphical glitch :rolleyes:

Yeah, it must be annoying not to see everything about your opponents. You should be able to go into each of their cities at any time to see their information just as you would all of your cities. :rolleyes:

That's a strawman.

I don't want to see everything the AI does, only their trade routes. Which as I have already mentioned, isn't something that logically should be hidden in the first place.

Do you see real world countries go out of their way to hide information in regards to whom they are trading with? Could they even do so if they wanted to?

Do you see real world countries go out of their way to hide information in regards to whom they are trading with? Could they even do so if they wanted to?

:rolleyes: Well, Duhh!
Like Iran or North Korea? Along with others during the cold war, and many more throughout history.*

While you can see other civ's trade routes with YOU (in the tab of the Trades Overview), I can imagine how the map would be cluttered with ALL trade routes in the late game. I know it's inconvenient, but it should NOT be 'easy' to cripple one's economy (if that's what you were after).

* ADDENDUM: Of course, those that successfully conceal commercial transactions aren't known. Covert trades, black market, smuggling, ....

How is logical and why does it make for better gameplay? Trade routes aren't some secret military operations that are kept hidden, they are just civs trading goods with each other. They aren't something that should (or realistically, could) be kept hidden.

If the game already feels it is ok to show me the AI trade routes if I hover the mouse over an AI trade unit, then why can't it just show me the AI trade routes in the same manner I can see my own trade routes as well?

Having to manually locate an AI trade unit and then hover my mouse over it every single time I want to see where the AI is trading is very annoying, not to mention that it doesn't actually allow you to see all of the AI's trade routes.

I can see both sides here. I do agree that if they allow you to know what trade routes go through a hex when you hover over than you certainly should show all the trade routes vs me having to hover over a bunch of tiles.

I use the info addict mod though so I am of the belief if you can get to info via menus or pulling up stuff, you should have it readily available.

Thx
jonpfl

Top Bottom