English Victory Strategy Question

Lord Dante

Chieftain
When playing England, must you play as a warmonger? As in, do you have to choose Honour as your social policy path, or would Tradition/Liberty be better? I know she can make a big push in the Medieval and Renaissance eras, but does that push have to carry through the other eras? Or can I have a one push to glory kinda thing and then coast?

Also, what is better? Tall, Wide, or an in between?

Not necessarily, you can go for the other victory types as England just as easily. For England, you could go either tall or wide, again to your preference/starting area/neighbors.

You don't have to play as a warmonger as any civ in Civ V; you can even win against the AI playing the Mongols and ignoring your UA.

Also, at least in Vanilla and G&K, even if going warmongler, you're often better off first completing Tradition and then going right half of Honor than full Honor.

And every Vanilla and G&K civ can be played 4 city tall tradition.

Tradition 1 is simply too strong to ignore. The border expansion is actually more important that it might seem and having the option to progress further along the tr. path later is good too.

Liberty on the other hand is the worst thing in the whole game. I know most people would not agree with me on that, but I find it completely useless except for rare cases where going Lib1-Citizenship to pick the free worker and bonus and then go tradition or honor would be alright. The other 4 policies are just horrid, with the exception of the finisher, but let's say that a policy is more important than a GP, let alone 4.

I myself don't see any reason for getting Honor with England. Their special units are after all ranged. The Ua is also not perfectly geared for war. I'd tech hard and get a great general and admiral the hard way given the chance. It'd be good to have a GG with a well timed longbowman siege though..

I've played as England a lot, but not above King, if this is any help.

I don't bother with Honor but go full Tradition.
I only fight defensively (unless there is too good an opportunity to miss) until I have Ships - then I go all out to conquer all coastal cities worth having.
I never play England with any map larger than continents so that there will be plenty of coastal cities.

I find that this strategy allows you to tech well and get decent gold from your puppet cities - you can decide during Industrial if the map best suits Domination or Science victory and make your choices accordingly.

I myself don't see any reason for getting Honor with England. Their special units are after all ranged. The Ua is also not perfectly geared for war. I'd tech hard and get a great general and admiral the hard way given the chance. It'd be good to have a GG with a well timed longbowman siege though..

I always pick honor as seconf tree when i play England. (Full tradition and left side of Honor). Militray Tradition is awesome for their UU: you can get longbow with logistics very quicly, and if you build galleass with barracks+armory, you can gain Range promotion before Ships of the Line..

I don't even play warmonger as Greece (two UU for war XD). Ok I lie, I usually mop up the nearest neighbor because I want the good spots to settle/keep for myself, but I never won a domination with them. Englands UU are superb but as it has been told, there are so many different conditions to win that all civs can do them.

I always pick honor as seconf tree when i play England. (Full tradition and left side of Honor). Militray Tradition is awesome for their UU: you can get longbow with logistics very quicly, and if you build galleass with barracks+armory, you can gain Range promotion before Ships of the Line..

Yeah, I didn't make myself clear.. I usually go tradition/honor no matter the civ, because liberty and piety are a bit weak and commerce/patronage get unlocked a bit later. I just focus more on tradition with peaceful civs and more on honor with militaristic ones.

Top Bottom