Announcement: CIV Gold - Map the World!

Wyz_sub10

CIV Gold - Project Lead
For those of you who visit the CIV Gold Development Forum, you know that version 4.0 has been in development for some time and that the release thereof was slated for the first week of March.

Well, there is some good news and bad news. The bad news is that the release has been delayed a couple of weeks. But the good news is that an enhanced version of 4.0 is on the way, including over a dozen civs above and beyond what was originally planned for the release.

Q: So who's coming to the party?

A: A total of 43 new civs will be added to CIV Gold, doubling the current total. (That's a total of 86 new civs for the mathmatically challenged)

Q: Whoa! Who are they? Will I have heard of them? Are they significant?

A: Well, it depends on your historical expertise, I suppose. Significant? Absolutely. Several civs are pioneers of agriculture from the dawn of society. Others are modern powers. Many are empires that rose and fell, like those before them and those to follow.

(see the map image for the full roster)

Q: I see several "questionable" civs. Who are the Aniyonega and Dinnehih?

A: In order to cover the globe, some native peoples were grouped into populations representative of geography and influence. The Aniyonega include the Cherokee and Seminoles, while the Dinnehih include the Apache and Navajo. While it's true that many of these groups are more closely related to distant populations than they are to each other, their grouping represents a sort of "what if" scenario involving trade and cultural learnings.

Q: Aren't the Yangshao a culture of China? Isn't the Jomon considered a period of Japan?

A: The Yangshao culture is representative of the neolithic cultures that populated the Yellow River basin in China. They were among the first populations to develop agriculture. The Jomon is indeed identified as a period in Japanese history, but they too were a neolithic culture, far removed from the feudal Japan represented in Civ IV.

Q: With all these new civs, you still haven't included (insert civ here)!

A: I think it's fair to say that thousands of population groups - both modern and historical - remain unrepresented in CIV Gold. Do we add the Franks or Bretons or Confederate State of America? What about modern ethnic enclaves like Quebec or Basques or Chechnya? Or long-time contained populations like Luxembourg and Switzerland? Fully autonomous nations like Belarus and Chile didn't make the cut. Papua-New Guinea, alone, has over 850 indeginous population groups!

CIV Gold 4.0 is a sincere attempt at representing most of the globe in some capacity - by some associated,

at some point in time. It has evolved around several major concepts:

- adding civs from past editions (Portugal, Netherlands)
- adding civs popular among the fan base (Canada, Ireland)
- adding civs of historical significance (Maya, Nubia)
- adding civs with historical and modern influence (Sweden, Magyar)
- adding civs that represent the world's "overlooked" populations (Aborigines, Tupi)
- adding civs that enable CIV Gold to touch all four corners of the earth (Upaajut, Buryat)

Q: So is this the final version of the mod?

A: More or less. If the community demands, additions can still be made. But it would be interesting to see in which direction the franchise is heading, especially with regard to expansion packs.

Q: Great. But why tell us this now? Why not just release it and say: "here you go!"

A: Well, an increased project scope requires increased project resources. It's not uncommon on these boards for people to offer help but have no real knowledge of XML or python or graphics work. Luckily we don't need XML/python experts as much as we need people who can type. :)

There is some tedious work involved and in order to meet deadlines, more hands are required. If you can help out - spare 20 or 30 minutes *total* - drop me a PM.

Attachments

• CIVGoldMap1.jpg
    CIVGoldMap1.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 143
Yes !!! I can't wait men ! :eek:

A total of 43 new civs will be added to CIV Gold, doubling the current total. (That's a total of 86 new civs for the mathmatically challenged)
Wow! :eek: I feel so inadequate. Great work Wyz, I know how hard it is to do this. :goodjob:

I can already tell that this is going to be pretty awesome.
Incidentally, is the "West Indies" civ supposed to represent the aborginal populations or the modern nations of the region?

Wow WYZ, very cool! I wasn't expecting this! PM if you need help with anything.

I can already tell that this is going to be pretty awesome.

Thanks!

Incidentally, is the "West Indies" civ supposed to represent the aborginal populations or the modern nations of the region?

Modern. I'm going to have 15 (I think) civs based on Aborignal populations of the Americas, so I wanted to have something more modern - something that reflected mid- to post- colonial development to autonomy.

sámi? awesome! this looks simply amazing guys. I play nothing but civ gold 3 atm and have been awaiting 4 as soon as 3 came out, looks great and i can't wait to play :D

:D With your persmission, of course.

lol go for your life. I take it as a compliment that you would want to include my work in your mod! I was just stoked when you added Romania, now Baktria too! man if you could see me now, I'm doin' back flips! :lol:

Can't wait for the new version! It looks like it's going to be great.:goodjob:

This is for warlords right? I only have vanilla 1.61

This is for warlords right? I only have vanilla 1.61

This version will be Warlords only. Sorry about that but there's no way I can maintain two separate version.

I'm proud of version 3.0 for vanilla, so I hope you like it if you've had a chance to play.

Arg! I wish there was a vanilla version for it... sighs....:(

Arg! I wish there was a vanilla version for it... sighs....:(

The easiest way to do that would be to strip out the extra XML lines in the Warlords version and to just keep the extra art whether you need it or not. The problem is that a vanilla civ would need to add the 6 civs removed for Warlords.

Maintaining this - even getting it set the first time - is a huge undertaking.

Top Bottom