Votes: 10 10.6%
  • whenever I lose an important unit

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • whenever I make a horrible mistake

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • I NEVER reload

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters
Yes, of course it IS cheating. Playing the game as you describe isn't even playing a game at all, really. It's pointlessly wasting time building stuff with no consequence of loss or failure. Have fun with your silliness.

Hmmm, nerd rage? :)

That's more than a little harsh. If you are playing on your own, for your own pleasure, what you do is your business. I have found not reloading to be a much more rewarding game experience, and a real learning experience, but when I am learning a new mod, I will reload often, so I can try different tactics, or if I make a clear newbie mistake.

Yes, of course it IS cheating. Playing the game as you describe isn't even playing a game at all, really. It's pointlessly wasting time building stuff with no consequence of loss or failure. Have fun with your silliness.

haha the 12 yr old rages. epic.

i reload when i lose a special unit, heroes mostly. never on bad and/or random events. though the only time was this game im playing now, some dude did a surprise attack on me and declared war and took like 6 of my workers. so i just reloaded a few saves back and repositioned my troops near the other border. thats about it though

i also save/reload when playing the card game. since the game is too heavily luck based, i just win or lose then reload.

If I'm playing Halo I don't force myself to start over from the beginning every time I die. That would be silliness.

But all the same, thank you, I will have fun with my silliness! Anyone who is not having fun shouldn't be playing.

Ok, normally I can turn my head when "internet" flares up in a discussion, but since you are in the Fall Further subforum, which is kinda my baby, I'll step in and say to PLEASE stop the bickering. It is devolving to the level I see outside of CFC now.

Direct and personal attacks aren't cool. They lead nowhere for either party involved. Play how you like to play, and for now, drop this discussion please :)

(Yes, I feel dirty when I load worldbuilder to restore a champion I lost on 99% odds 3 turns after my scout kills Orthus with 1% odds. And yes, I play Solitaire with single card draws instead of 3 card draws, and will even go so far as to slip cards in UNDER a stack when I am otherwise stuck. I bet all of you are also on the other side of the fence from time to time, but maybe you aren't, that's cool too... Sometimes you aren't playing for the rules, you are just playing for the sake of playing. Thus you make your own fun)

Really, I hate the luck-based screw-yous in Civ. I feel like Civ is supposed to be a game of careful planning and skill, yet there are too many things like "hitting a goody hut released a 15 Str unit that kills all your units", or "you lose a battle at 95% chance to win", or "stupid AI Civ somehow builds wonder you based your entire strategy around, and 60 turns of building are completely wasted". I'll reload any of those, though occasionally not so much with the losing the battle unless it's an important unit.

It's just incredibly frustrating to have you careful strategy borked by completely random chance, and since I don't enjoy being frustrated, I'll cheat. And I refuse to feel bad about it. :D

Really, I hate the luck-based screw-yous in Civ. I feel like Civ is supposed to be a game of careful planning and skill, yet there are too many things like "hitting a goody hut released a 15 Str unit that kills all your units", or "you lose a battle at 95% chance to win", or "stupid AI Civ somehow builds wonder you based your entire strategy around, and 60 turns of building are completely wasted". I'll reload any of those, though occasionally not so much with the losing the battle unless it's an important unit.

It's just incredibly frustrating to have you careful strategy borked by completely random chance, and since I don't enjoy being frustrated, I'll cheat. And I refuse to feel bad about it. :D

The last one is not random, that just shows the AI got to it faster than you and your strategy failed. :p

The last one is not random, that just shows the AI got to it faster than you and your strategy failed. :p

Unless you calculate that you mathematically cannot be beaten to a certain wonder, there's always a random chance that an AI can build it first. Assuming you don't have an engineer at the time or are building something before you could reasonably get an engineer. Plus, isn't it possible for the AI to get an engineer through a random event and rush a wonder with it?

Anyway the frustration isn't entirely about it being random, but about the paradigm in Civ that the first to finish the wonder gets it, and anyone else that's trying gets essentially nothing. It's extremely swingy - just being off by 1 turn means a huge swing in results. And thus, it's frustrating. If I have to reload an auto-save from 10 turns earlier and build a Thane of Kilmorph to rush it, or put the city into starvation mode to get enough hammers to get it done on time, then I will. Whereas, though you could just *always* put a city into starvation mode when you're building a wonder, it's not the optimal strategy unless there's some way of knowing when another civ is building it...

If playing against humans, I'd be annoyed if I got sniped by a turn on something, but obviously there's nothing you can do about it other than suck it up and congratulate the person on getting there first. But when the AI does it, I'm gonna reload, because the AI doesn't have feelings and won't be upset when I cheat.

Oh, I agree that it's annoying. I've even reloaded before (not really for a wonder, but for a religion yes).

Was only saying that it's not necessarily random, in that instance. ;)

Fair enough. I'll concede that I'm not really great at this game, either vanilla or modded (although I haven't played vanilla since about the time I found out FfH existed - maybe one or two games when BTS came out - so maybe I'm great at it now?). So yeah, sometimes I reload because of randomly getting screwed. Sometimes I reload because my strategy was crappy to begin with. :D

I occasionally reload when I'm too quick with the enter key and find myself playing the Mercurians or agreeing to something I didn't plan, but mostly I have to reload when my laptop decides to hang at the end of a turn and reloading is the only way of continuing.

Until I can afford a supercomputer, I'm happy to use reload as required.

Oh and there were a few times when I accidently declared war by using maelstrom too close to my allies. Oooops

I occasionally reload when I'm too quick with the enter key and find myself playing the Mercurians or agreeing to something I didn't plan, but mostly I have to reload when my laptop decides to hang at the end of a turn and reloading is the only way of continuing.

Until I can afford a supercomputer, I'm happy to use reload as required.

Oh and there were a few times when I accidently declared war by using maelstrom too close to my allies. Oooops

I just bought 64 bit Win 7 Pro. I'm really hoping that will end my memory issues. I have 4GB of ram and a 512MB ram video card, but with 32 bit you only get 4GB total, so 512 is wasted, and of course with 64 bit you don't have the issues with the 2GB limit per process. I can't wait. :)

However I am in the process of playing through a huge game of Fall Further with all the leaders in the game, and I'm getting pretty late in the game and I don't think I've had any crashes so far. The game is behaving extremely well for some reason.

I try and reload only when something really devastating occurs. I can remember a game I played where I was staying closely allied to the AI civs on my left flank, while going after those on my right flank in an Inner Sea game. The Aztecs were on my left, and Montezuma were was 'pleased with me'. Suddenly out of the blue he attacked me with stacks of doom in plethora (sneaky bastich) and before I could blink I lost three cities.

I reloaded two saves ago and beefed up that flank...he disdained from doing it again.

I play for enjoyment, and if something happens that causes my enjoyment to be curbed I reload.

I dont see how it can hurt if you are playing SP. Its not like theres some law thats being broke. I am sure my computer doesnt care. ;)

Llewen u lucky, i have to reload cause of crashes in late games so many times x.x but having an army of skeletons is just too fun XD (ashen veil ftw)

Llewen u lucky, i have to reload cause of crashes in late games so many times x.x but having an army of skeletons is just too fun XD (ashen veil ftw)

All I have to say is, Win 7 64 rocks. I'm late in the game on a huge map with all the leaders in the game and I think I've had exactly two crashes (lockups in this case). So if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend upgrading to Win 7 64 (you should also have at least 4GB of ram).

Well I voted for whenever I get a bad result. It is not entirely true but I tend to reload more often than only when an important unit is lost so to be honest...

Mostly I reload when the game gives me alleged favorable odds only to then kill my unit anyway (somehow anything lower than 99.9% ends up meaning I have to reload because even 96.9% chance of winning in my case usually means I'm the other 3.1%... and that annoys me). If on the other hand I choose to attack even though the odds are very much against me, I usually don't reload after (I knew it was a long shot and was willing to loose the unit for the chance of also being the remaining 3% this time... there usually I'm not though).

Oh no I just cheated myself... I'm so angry with myself now! How can I do this to myself? Cheat myself and also in my favor too? You have a funny deffinition of cheating.

When you have a couple of hours play time after a work day it just tends to be more fun to see things work out for you for a change, even if it means repeatedly casting the reload spell until things do work out.

Nothing wrong with playing a game for a challenge... but just the same, nothing wrong with playing civ just to watch your civilization grow and excell, even if it means extensive use of divine intervention via reload. Some of us don't need more challenge when we come home, we just want to relax a little.

Some of us don't need more challenge when we come home, we just want to relax a little.

Can I get an Amen!

This is why I typically play my 'for fun games' at a low challenge level.

Although Ive recently started playing hot seat multi-player games with me playing each civ...:lol: with each having a written set of different goals. More as a reminder to me to not forget to play them differently :crazyeye:

There is one option missing in the poll...
I reload whenever my ffh 2 crushes (crashes?). And still hate to do so, cause i hate redoing the same things over.

Top Bottom