Culture-specific units

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
For my mod, I want each culture group to have it's own equivalent unit, e.g. European civs build Kinboat's Crusader whilst Middle Eastern civs build Lab Monkey's Arab Horseman. Here's the breakdown so far:

Legend: European Mediterranean American Asian Middle East

European Swordsman Firaxis Swordsman Native American Warrior Chin Swordsman Elven Warrior

European Spearman Hoplite/Legionary/Numidian Firaxis Spearman Otomo Spearman (PTW) Elven Spearman

Pict Firaxis Archer unknown Otomo no Makuta (PTW) Elven Bowman

British Spearman Firaxis Pikeman unkown Ashigaru Spearman unknown

Norman Knight Firaxis Horseman unknown - possibly not mounted, mobile foot unit? Shoni no Kagesuke (PTW) Horse Archer

Medieval Infantry AoK Longwordsman unkown Warrior Monk (PTW) Turkish Swordsman - need name

Crusader Firaxis Knight unknow, again possible foot unit? Keshik/Rider/Nakamaro Horseman/Minamoto Samurai (PTW) Arab Horseman (called Saracen)

Firaxis Muketman (called Arqeubusier) unkown Indian Rifleman - need name Oda Arquebusier unkown

British Foot Guard SM's Grenadier Dark Sheer's Musketman unknown unknown

British Colonial Rifleman unkown Firaxis Rifleman Japanese Rifleman unkown

Hussar Firaxis Cavalry Bandit unknown unknown

That'll do for now. As you can see, I'm missing some units - so any suggestions (or offers!) are welcome. I do, however, have some questions:

1. What should I call the Turkish Swordsman (medieval infantry replacement)?

2. 1. What should I call the Eleven units (middle east swordsman, bowman + spearman replacements)?

3. 1. What should I call the Bandit unit (american cavalry replacement)?

4. I need a unit for an early 20th century cavalry unit - any ideas?

5. Should American + Canada be in the European, or American culture groups?

6. Should India be in the Asian or Middle Eastern culture groups?

American and Canadian should be European.

India...hmmm...that could go either way, I'd probably lean toward Asian personally.

Zulu, I have been doing exactly that kind of mod myself.

1. could it be Janissar/Yaniczar/howtheheckdoyouenglishspeakersspellit!!!

2 No idea

3. National cavalry?

4. Motorcycle with a sidewagon&machinegun?

5. American, since there are so few civs in the american culture group (aztecs & iroquoise).

6. Asian.

Aaglo, American and Canadian civ's though are not American culture group. This basically refers to Native Americans.

The question is, do you choose reality or gameplay? The Euro culture group is already the largest and the American culture group is the smallest. While I would agree in terms of the real world, America (and Canada if you add it as a civ) is very European, you just further the cultural imbalance. Ignoring the fact that the culture group has a small effect in terms of attitudes and such in the game, it also matters for zulu's graphic changes; having so many of the civs in one culture group and so few in some of the others takes away from the graphical variety, IMHO.

Originally posted by zulu9812

How about "Mounted Infantry", as used in the Boer War? :)
This is essentially what cavalry had become by the 20th century.
And as much as they liked to dream of the good old glory days of dashing cavalry charges, the reality was that they were trained to dismount and fight with rifles.
(I'm not sure which animation would be best however)

Originally posted by zulu9812
That'll do for now. As you can see, I'm missing some units - so any suggestions (or offers!) are welcome. I do, however, have some questions:

1. What should I call the Turkish Swordsman (medieval infantry replacement)?

2. 1. What should I call the Eleven units (middle east swordsman, bowman + spearman replacements)?

3. 1. What should I call the Bandit unit (american cavalry replacement)?

5. Should American + Canada be in the European, or American culture groups?

6. Should India be in the Asian or Middle Eastern culture groups? [/B]

1: I agree with aaglo, Janissary fits as a name.
2: I just call them eastern swordsman, and such.
6: India should be in both ;) I have them in the asian group in the game, but they use apropriate units, for example the Janissary, I mean, India HAS to have at least one unit with a turban. India shouldn't use most of the japanese units, as they are VERY japanese.

Top Bottom