Coal plant to hydro plant to coal plant?

rschissler

King
This really confuses me. I built factories in my large cities then coal plants, and then hydro plants. How come now I have the option of building coal plants again? Why would I want to? If hydro plants are better, then why shouldn't coal plants dissappear from the option list when I have a hydro plant built?

Also I have the Hoover Dam wonder which is supposed to give hydro plant effects in river cities, but it seems I can still build a hydro plant in those cities. That doesn't seem right either.

hehe, I used to make the same mistake. That's because the 4 major plants (coal, hydro, nuke and solar) all replace each other. (think Sim City)

I used to do the same thing also ;)

Coal plants are what's available first, at the same time you get Factories, but they cause addition pollution.

Then you get hydro, which cuts the pollution but has to be near a river.

Then solar, same as hydro but doesn't have to be near a river.

Then nuke, which doubles the production output (the other 3 just increase it by 50%) but adds the risk of meltdown.

Also I have the Hoover Dam wonder which is supposed to give hydro plant effects in river cities, but it seems I can still build a hydro plant in those cities. That doesn't seem right either.

I know in conquests Hoover Dam gives you hydro plant in every city, not just river ones. You need a factory to get the benefits from it though.

Hoover has never been limited to only cities on rivers (for its effect - it needs to be built in a city on a river though).

Just a technicality, but hydro / solar plants do not reduce pollution, they just don't directly generate additional pollution.

And I agree - I've always found it a bit annoying that lesser power plants would still show up as build options.

So if I have the Hoover Dam it gives me the effect of a hydro plant in every city?

If so, then why do I have the options to build them? It should work like The Great Pyramids and Sun Tzu Art of War.

Back when I first played Civ3 (before PTW), I use to build one and then build the other thinking that it's just another improvement, I got pretty mad when I had to build a coal plant about 50 times.

You don't normally get the option to build a hydro dam when you have it. Things may get messed up if you go and build another power plant type though. The other option is that your city is on a different continent. I believe Hoover is one continent only.

yep, hoover is only for the continent it's built on

since hyrdos and solars require more shields, it would be nice to build a coal plant on the other continent if you need the shields quick.

Also if you build Hoover after a city has a power plant the original power plant, coal or even hydro, is still there. It no longer costs upkeep but don't forget to sell it - you might as well have the gold.

Top Bottom