French Translation

calvitix

C2C translation Team
Hi,

I'm testing the mod for a few Weeks, and started a french translation of the mod.

as you don't use everywhere the gametext files, strings are directly translated inside the infos.xml files.

I'll perhaps update all of them, in order to enable multilangage release.

here the modified files from the 1.8 version, for french players :

Attachments

• Dune Wars-French translation - v0.12.7z
    843.1 KB · Views: 241
Cool idea!
Hopefully this is something we can incorporate (I will let others comment on this), but anything that lets us expand the audience base is fantastic.

Thanks calvitix. I will definitely incorporate into the 1.9 beta. There's likely to be quite a lot more text to translate in the new release so any help of this kind is appreciated. I know from blog posts such as this that Dune Wars has some French fans.

I 'have done a small review of the mod on another french civfan site too :
http://www.civfr.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20812

I'm glad to help. To be sure that we don't do the job twice, does it make sense that I convert the english hardcoded descriptions from 1.8 version in standard gametext files ?
or is the beta 1.9 advanced enough so that it'll be done directly ?

edit : I just saw there was the 1.8.0.2 patch : here the new french update

Attachments

• Dune Wars-French translation - v0.13.7z
    834.1 KB · Views: 290
To be sure that we don't do the job twice, does it make sense that I convert the english hardcoded descriptions from 1.8 version in standard gametext files?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but perhaps you mean the following:

If we're going to make Dune Wars multi-lingual the proper way, we should not be having display text in description fields, but should use TXT_KEYs instead.

So instead of having two versions of for example CIV4UnitInfos.xml, the English one with:
Code:
<Description>Light Scorpion</Description>
and the French one with:
Code:
<Description>Scorpion Léger</Description>
we'd have a single one with:
Code:
<Description>TXT_KEY_LIGHT_SCORPION</Description>
and then an entry in DuneWarsText.xml:
Code:
<TEXT>
	<Tag>TXT_KEY_LIGHT_SCORPION</Tag>
	<English>Light Scorpion</English>
	<French>Scorpion Léger</French>
	<German>...
</TEXT>

This is the proper way to do it. We have been lazy wth this because no one has expressed an interest in other translations until now.

There is a bit of work to do to replace all our descriptions with TXT_KEYs. I also think we should consider merging all our Text xmls into a single file since this is what big mods like FFH2 have done and it is tidier.

I'm still not exactly sure when I'll be done with 1.9, but if it would be helpful I can post my current work-in-progress XML.

There is a bit of work to do to replace all our descriptions with TXT_KEYs. I also think we should consider merging all our Text xmls into a single file since this is what big mods like FFH2 have done and it is tidier.

You are right about the proper way to do this. Since there is no way to distribute an English and French version of the unit xml, this is in fact the only way to do it. There is some relevant history.

In DW 1.0, keldath did a lot of his editing by removing TXT_KEY_... in the unit, building, etc files. In a few cases, later in DW development, I put this back. But not in all cases. In particular the unit and building files have this problem, which means hundreds of changes are needed to put this back to the right way.

All of the DW specific text is in fact in a single file, DuneWarsText.xml. However, DW is built on top of dozens of different mods, all of which came with their own text files, some of which do have language translations. I don't recommend to move the text from different mods, into the DW text file; that would just be more confusing. So there is no "cleanup" we should do here. For translating DW, focus on DuneWarsText.

In order to be language-friendly, the DuneWarsText.xml file contains copies of the English text for all the other languages. This way, if a player has their language set to German for example, at least the mod will still come up. If the language tags are missing, the mod won't start at all. But at the same time, a mod developer should not be slowed down by the need to make five copies of all his new strings. So instead, all of the strings currently go into DuneWarsText.txt one time, and a script is used to make all the language copies of the string into DuneWarsText.xml. (If you just look into these two files this will be quite clear.)

Adding a French file is an excellent idea, but the existing script approach will no longer work. One possibility is to stop using DuneWarsText.txt and the script. In this case we will maintain DuneWarsText.xml only, and developers will have to make four copies of the text strings plus ask calvitix to provide the French string. Another possibility is to change the script so that it has two input files DuneWarsTextEnglish.txt and DuneWarsTextFrench.txt, and it merges them intelligently to create DuneWarsText.xml. I don't have the time to create such a script right now.

I hope that helps a little to agree on the best approach.

Yes Deliverator, that's what i meant (sorry for my English, I'm only french ;) ). I think I have a small script i used for another translation, that can perform the conversion with the TXT_KEY. It check if all the standard tags (English, French, German, Italian, ...) are there.

I'll check if I find it and provide you a multilingual version soon, based on 1.8.0.2.
if there is not too much updated strings in the 1.9 beta, I'll update it manually. Or you can provide me your current files, and I'll convert them too.

For the other gametext.xml files, I already translated the Rise of Mankind mod, that include revDCM and a lot of other mods, so it won't be a problem.

I'have done the Multilingual update, using my conversion tool. there is now some additionnal DuneWars_...._CIV4GameText.xml files, with both english and french entries.

here my tool : it all to load CIV4GameText, and extract one specific langage. It also can be used to add new tags : just load the CIV4GameText file (button on the right), write the tag and the content of the tag, and then click 'generate GameTextFile'. It will automatically add the tag and the 5 standard langages with the same text.

Attachments

• Dune Wars-French translation - v0.17.7z
    399.6 KB · Views: 267
  • GameTextconverter.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 263
davidlallen said:
One possibility is to stop using DuneWarsText.txt and the script. In this case we will maintain DuneWarsText.xml only, and developers will have to make four copies of the text strings plus ask calvitix to provide the French string.

I think this is the best option all things considered. It should be too hard to do a diff on the XML/Text folder to see what new entries have been created and thus require translation.

calvitix said:
my conversion tool

This looks helpful, thanks. After a big push to get the first 1.9 beta done, I probably won't look at this immediately, but I would definitely like to get a French translation included with the final version of DW 1.9.

I go on with the French translation :

+ Converted all the city names into multilangual tags
+ Update the dynamic city names generation to use multilangual prefixes
+ Translation of specific Events : Offworld Trade contract + Mentats
+ Strategy translation (partial)

I added also a small Interface update, that sort the Unit, Building and Wonders icons in the city screen and the popup that is displayed when the city production queue is empty.

here the files :

Attachments

• Dune Wars beta 1-9-B-1-4 - French translation - v0.56.7z
    330.9 KB · Views: 231
1.9.7 French Translation.

Was a long time since I wasn't on that page.

I upload an update of the French translation for 1.9.7 Patch.

Attachments

• Dune Wars 1-9-7 - French translation patch - v0.1.7z
    548.2 KB · Views: 293
Top Bottom