Team Mavericks Intra-Team TEST Pitboss

DMOC

Mathematician
At long last ... I finally figured out part of this whole pitboss hosting thing. If Civ5 weren't about to come out soon, I'd really take the time to write out a full-fledged guide on this sort of stuff.

Anyway, please login the pitboss game and select your leader. Since this is a test pitboss, it doesn't matter what leader you pick since I'll be disbanding the game in a couple of days. This test is to ensure that:

1. You can connect to my computer

and

2. My computer's internet is stable (my parents claim that it is - I disagree)

--------------

Game IP: 192.168.0.250
Game Password: themavs1
CivStats: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=1775

(Next time I won't put a game password since it's not really needed)

Please login to an AI leader unclaimed, since there are 15 and I would like people to login to 1 leader so that we know who has successfully connected or not.

Hey DMOC, tried it out and its not working for me... Not sure if i'm doing the right thing, pressed "Direct IP Connection" then entered your IP and the password but it didn't connect and kept timing out...

Crud. I exited out to the desktop instead of the main menu. Now I've got to restart again ... :mad: And yes I don't know how to restart a pitboss game. :mad:

-Try coming back in 10 mins. tomorrow

I'm giving up for the night. It's just too stressful trying to figure out how to get these pitbosses to work. Let's hope tomorrow brings more luck and hopefully at least one of the 7 people I asked will respond.

@DMOC,
That IP looks suspiciously like my wireless router IP. Are you sure you have a dedicated address? I don't have any experience with Pitboss, but I could never get a "Direct IP Connection" game to work through the router. Needed to hardwire my computer.

We might use the same wireless router. I have a D-Link DIR-628.

Maybe you could try putting :2056 at the end of the IP?

So: 192.168.0.250:2056

(I put the game back up)

I'm not optimistic that it'll work but it's always worth a shot.

So here's what I do know and what I don't know so far:

I know

1. How to start a pitboss game
2. How to connect to CivStats
3. How to re-start and re-load a pitboss game
4. How to reupload a game on CivStats that timed out
5. How to display a message of the day to people.

But what I don't know is ...

1. How to get the right IP.

Maybe I have a dynamic IP, in which I'll have to look at Sommerswerd's PM in more detail since he elaborated on it. If I could just figure out that we'd be up and running now ....

still not working. However, I do think that the :2056 needs to be there on the end...that much I think you've gotten right...;)

All right everyone, I've switched over to "hamachi" as per Sommerswerd's advice.

Sommerswerd:

Private Network Log in (This is for your team mates playing)

1. When Hamaci starts Go to the Hamachi Menu bar and select Networks-->Join Existing Network
2. enter the Network ID
3. enter the Password

Pitboss Log in:
1. With Hamachi Turned On and Logged in, Start CIV BTS
2. Goto Multiplayer--> Direct IP
3. In the IP box (on the right) you enter: The Private Network IP
4. Choose your Civ

So I assume that you all have to install Hamachi (I did the unmanaged version, not sure if it matters but go with unmanaged). Then, install it. And you should get a popup which allows you to join networks.

So follow Sommerswerd's advice, and my info is:

Network ID/name: mavmavmavmavericks (you need to request to join this network by clicking "Join an Existing Network")
Network Password: mavericks (if that doesn't work, do "maverick" without the "s")

Do that and try to join the network. Then try and login to pitboss via civ4-directIP and login using 5.98.130.28 and the password for this pitboss game "themavs1" see if that works. For the official pitboss game, I set no password, so just use the number IP.
I was able to logon using

You're very close... except you need the IP from www.whatismyip.com

Thanks, but I tried that, and it didn't work. The IP displayed from that site (today) is different from yesterday so my IP is probably dynamic.

I think that might be wrong, my hamachi says "This network does not exist"

Unless you have hamachi closed at the moment I tried

I tried doing that, but don't use the #, use "mavmavmavmavericks" as the network ID, sorry. Not the #

192.168.X.X is a home network. That's bound to be the address your home router assigns your computer. The whatsmyip number is what you need, but if you have a dynamic IP that's bound to cause problems. So better use Hamachi then...

... and I was able to connect to your Hamachi network using mavmavmavmaverics/mavericks as id/pwd. But there is one other computer on that network (Daniel-PC) and it's showing as offline. Nothing to connect to with Civ then. Have you turned off your Hamachi again?

Hm ... maybe this is the problem.

I left my computer on (it is indeed Daniel-PC) and left it on for a couple of hours. I think my internet connection is, as a result, unstable. I've noticed that if I let the computer "sleep" the internet goes off, then when it wakes up, the internet comes back up. (Like now.)

Unfortunately, I guess this means I can't host. :( Is there anyone else here willing to do so? I suggest using hamachi to solve IP issues. Worst case we can always ask someone outside of the team.

...well when the computer sleeps of course the internet connection drops...on vista and windows 7 you can set it to shut off the display but not sleep. That way the internet connection will always be there...

......on vista and windows 7 you can set it to shut off the display but not sleep.

DMOC said:
Really? I'll have to try that.

Well...I think you can...:mischief: I'm using XP right now and haven't used vista or 7 for a while...just because i haven't bothered upgrading yet...

Top Bottom