Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

What do you mean, that when a laser unit strikes a shield, it hurts itself? If that is it, why would they attack?...

Yeah, we could never think of a way to implement the lasers vs shields = explosion lore in a way that would actually be fun from gameplay point of view.

What do you mean, that when a laser unit strikes a shield, it hurts itself? If that is it, why would they attack?...

The fact is it should have be a similar nuke explosion when a laser strike a holtzman shield. So in dune lore the usage of both is dangerous but not useless : you could want to kill something protected by a shield and so use a suicidal guy whith a laser for it. You could also force your ennemies to not use laser by hide some shield-trap.

In gameplay what could be done ?
shield melee fighters, can have a bonus when attacking laser unit, because they can't use laser for defending them, and conventionnal weapon shut down by the shield. But laser unit can have a bonus when attacking shield melee because then it's them who can't use their shield.
Or it could be have a random chance to both destroy if theses types of units fight each other.
For city shield, it could be more simple. Laser unit can't attack or cause always a nuke. Player should find a way to disable the shield first (or attack without laser, which seem obvious solution). But in hopeless war, sending suicidal laser trooper could be an option easiest than use nuclear weapon. In this case, it should be possible to manualy stop your own shields.

Furthermore, the breaking of great convention by use real nuke should make all other faction declare war against you (except maybe fremen who don't care of imperium law - maybe could be done in game by force war follower of imperial, choam an quizarate religions, but not those which follow mahdi, shai-hulud, tleilax or thinking machine)

For the best it should be possible to choose your policy : always use shield / laser no matter the danger, or be carefull. It could be an another way to personalize leaders by made some more or less carefull or audacious.

I think I understand your idea, but it's too complicated and changes the balance of things too much. I doubt it can really work for practical gameplay.
Don't worry about it, I had to put aside many of my ideas too. One must find that good mixture of practical gameplay and flavour and not simply go for something just because one fancies it.
You know, sometimes achieving a well crafted simplicity can be harder. It requires thought aimed at making things work as a whole.

Anyway, we just have to assume that in this Dune Universe the holtzman field works differently. Otherwise, we would have nothing but Melee units.

You know, sometimes achieving a well crafted simplicity can be harder

I totally agree. I just said ideas about the last thing which don't fiit the lore in this game.

Anyway, we just have to assume that in this Dune Universe the holtzman field works differently. Otherwise, we would have nothing but Melee units.

I don't think that. Shield aren't used in desert because they made sandworm mad, and that why muad'dib give fremen conventionnal weaponry. I tinhk it is precisely because shields have huge counterpart, they are not panacea.

In the books, a lasgun striking a shield results in both being destroyed. It would be useful only as a suicide attack. It is not very clear if a single hand weapon striking a city shield would be enough to destroy it. Probably, not many people tried these experiments :)

Ok, some petty screenshots from when I was testing the new sonic attack (work in progress) that spreads across 3 plots.
You can thank Deliverator for the new art!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Civ4ScreenShot0089.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0089.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 230
  • Civ4ScreenShot0090.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0090.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 198
  • Civ4ScreenShot0095.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0095.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 204
Uploaded v.1.00: many improvements, features, new art, a new civ, etc...
Check first post.

:cool:

Thank you!

JosEPh

Loving it so far, very good work and the new movies (the intro movie was a great surprise!) and all the graphical improvements really bring it too life.

I have a question, and this relates to the original Dune Wars too it seems, but is it possible to play on a map where the north and south borders can be crossed? Or was this a basic Dune Wars thing that can't be changed? I see no options in the game setup to allow this?

Edit: And just one other thing, if i chose to 'exit to the menu' to leave a game it CTD's CivIV. Not sure if that is a known bug or not. Tested Dune Wars itself and it does not do it.

Loving it so far, very good work and the new movies (the intro movie was a great surprise!) and all the graphical improvements really bring it too life.

I have a question, and this relates to the original Dune Wars too it seems, but is it possible to play on a map where the north and south borders can be crossed? Or was this a basic Dune Wars thing that can't be changed? I see no options in the game setup to allow this?

Edit: And just one other thing, if i chose to 'exit to the menu' to leave a game it CTD's CivIV. Not sure if that is a known bug or not. Tested Dune Wars itself and it does not do it.

Thanks.
Play with the DuneArchipelago map. With it you can choose a World Wrap.
Also, I can use "exit to the menu" just fine. Does it happen only with this mod and does anybody else experience this?

If it helps, if i choose 'Exit Game' that works fine and does exit to desktop as per normal. It's not a big issue, and now i've repeated it a few times i know to work around it.

So some more play-testing bug hunting :)

In the 'Info Screen' (graph graphic icon top right), once i get to 'Statistics' the menu looks a bit odd (the info does not fit in the menu space) and i can't seem to close it within the game screen or move to other catagories in that menu. Using 'Esc' key does close the menu and takes you back to the game, but if i open the 'Info Screen' again it remains 'stuck' on the 'Statistics' tab. Maybe there is a keyboard shortcut to shuffle through the catagories but i've not found one yet.

You redid a bunch of graphics too, resources etc? Or maybe that was an update to base Dune Wars i never got? Anyway it looks really nice, loving the ambience, thank you very much for the obvious hard work that went into it :D

If it helps, if i choose 'Exit Game' that works fine and does exit to desktop as per normal. It's not a big issue, and now i've repeated it a few times i know to work around it.

So some more play-testing bug hunting :)

In the 'Info Screen' (graph graphic icon top right), once i get to 'Statistics' the menu looks a bit odd (the info does not fit in the menu space) and i can't seem to close it within the game screen or move to other catagories in that menu. Using 'Esc' key does close the menu and takes you back to the game, but if i open the 'Info Screen' again it remains 'stuck' on the 'Statistics' tab. Maybe there is a keyboard shortcut to shuffle through the catagories but i've not found one yet.

You redid a bunch of graphics too, resources etc? Or maybe that was an update to base Dune Wars i never got? Anyway it looks really nice, loving the ambience, thank you very much for the obvious hard work that went into it :D

Regarding the Statistics screen, what resolution do you use? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Deliverator did most of the new graphic stuff and I bothered him quite a bit in the end; I was very picky. I'm sure he's glad you like it.

Btw, the Atreides Intel Visibility is not working as intended and if you select multiple air units together in the homeworld screen you can launch them even if the air cap of the city has been reached. These are due to oversights (its hard to notice everything) that have already been corrected in my version. After a certain period I'll post another version with such corrections and more tweaks (this version is quite polished enough though, but there's always something wrong that time reveals).

Sure on the screenshot, it will look a little blurred due to the re-sizing, but it should show what i mean. I use 1920x1200 fullscreen resolution in my CivIV modded games.

Now each time i go into the 'info screen' it just takes me to this 'Statistics' screen, and i can't select any of the usual options for this screen, so it is now stuck!

The CTD when using 'Exit to Main menu' is just a typical non-informative windows one saying that CivIV has stopped running and needs to exit.

Ok El Cid. I didn't take into account such high resolutions, I personally use the standard "1024x768" and so the info screen occupies my whole screen.

Do the following: Download the attached file, change it from .txt to .py and put it into your Mods\DuneWars Revival\Assets\Python\Screens folder (overwrite the old file). It should work now.

Regarding the crash, I suspect a specific problem in your computer: try to reinstall BTS and also see if it crashes when you exit in the very first turn, btw, and if it also crashes when you use the retire button.

Attachments

• CvInfoScreen.txt
    137.7 KB · Views: 134
I have also a problem with stats screen but in the victory conditions :

There no informations about how far we are to achieve victory ? (I also play in 1920x1200 )

Very nice work, anyway :)

Ok, LeBashar, there you go. Just follow the instructions in my previous post.

Attachments

• CvVictoryScreen.txt
    90.3 KB · Views: 115
so yay dune wars. Installed a fresh copy of civ bts from steam. downloaded the 1.00 exe. run it as admin. but sadly he doesnt see my civ install. even if I point it manually to my civ bts folder the Next> button keeps greyed out. Im that special snowflake with only that problem?

Thanks Mr.M, that infoscreen fix did the trick and it all works perfectly now. I had not noticed the missing data in the Victory Screen that LeBashar mentioned, but yes that fix also worked and i now have a percent readout :)

Regarding the crash, I suspect a specific problem in your computer: try to reinstall BTS and also see if it crashes when you exit in the very first turn, btw, and if it also crashes when you use the retire button.

BTS seems fine, as in normal Civ IV is happy to 'Exit to main Menu' and 'Retire', as is FFH2 (another of my favourite CivIV mods) and the original Dune Wars even. All those don't bring up the CTD, but Dune Wars Revival does, everytime as well, so it is a repeatable thing.

I don't think it is a corrupted download thing or else the rest of the game wouldn't work/run. It might be a particular bug with my rather old hardware that CivIV is running on (Athlon FX 60, 3GB Ram and Windows XP Pro)? But just specific to your mod and not Dune Wars or CivIV BTS in general.

This was more for your information and less a big issue for me, I can still 'Exit to Desktop' the game normally.

Thanks very much for your quick fixes and pass on thanks to all the people that were involved with Dune Wars Revival, i can see it getting plenty of playtime :D

so yay dune wars. Installed a fresh copy of civ bts from steam. downloaded the 1.00 exe. run it as admin. but sadly he doesnt see my civ install. even if I point it manually to my civ bts folder the Next> button keeps greyed out. Im that special snowflake with only that problem?

Unzip the contents of the installer. You'll get 3 folders: the first one will have the DuneWars Revival folder with a few files -> find it and place it in your mods folder; then copy the contents (4 folders) of the 3rd folder to DuneWars Revival. Ignore the 2nd folder. Start BTS and load the mod or create your own shortcut.

Top Bottom