God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

Plus that was pretty late game, 1980 something. Around that time almost every civ has above 100 at the very least, and since it's France, it's almost inevitable they had such a high number.

I don't recognize the icon for whatever Dublin is building in the religion picture. New building?

I actually would like to point out that Pictish Warrior is not a replacement for Swordsman, there is no doubt in my mind that the screenshot depicting Religion screen shows Iron Working and obviously a Swordsman, along that, the player is infact playing as Boudica because he's controling the unit with the Celtic color scheme, so the Pictish Unit is not a Swordsman replacement, not sure if we established that earlier and I'm just rambling.

Hmm...
Just noticed something: why do the city states have their influence bars split up?

It is split into 4 quarters, which most likely will correlate to the status. 2 blue bars at the right means allies. 1 blue bar at the right means friends. 1 red bar at the left means war, and 2 left red bars means permanent war. But it is still speculating about the details.

314 culture at turn 265 is pretty low for a standard culture game. One should easily be in the 450-650 range by then, if culture is the focus.

Screenshots are generated through FireTuner, not through actual gameplay. They are deliberately showing you only what they want you to see. Everything in the image has been carefully planned out.

As for the culture? They could probably care less about that because we know about it already.

Hmm...
Just noticed something: why do the city states have their influence bars split up?

Good observation. It seems that CS diplomacy is more complex. However, I do agree with people that a friendly v. unfriendly indicator is likely. They're allied with Antwerp, which is why only the right half is maxed out but the left isn't touched. But I don't know the specifics (aside from the fact that gold has been downplayed as a method to ally with them).

We know:

- money still plays a role in CS diplomacy, but...
- fulfilling missions for CSs is more important now.
- We know that there will be multiple missions at once.

My guess:

- Maybe there are maximal 3 missions "active".
- If you fullfill one, this mission will shown as "accomplished" in one of the slots. The influence you gain out of fulfilled missions will decay over time. If it reaches zero, a new mission is generated.
- The 4th slot may be filled by monetary gifts.

Maybe this idea is a little bit complicated, but at least it would explain the 4 separate slots. Anyway I'm pretty sure, these slots are *not only* a new presentation of the already known influence mechanism.

With the 4 piece bar there is that small round dot on the right of it, maybe it fills from right to left.
-or-
It is really 2 bars,
... the right side is research
... the left side is growth

Ok, I don't believe research, growth ...
... but it is 2 bars w/dot on right side
... maybe faith, espionage
-nah-
... that has to just be -/+ influence bar (fills left or right from center)
... blue on friendly w/blue dot ALLY 8)
... red on unfriendly w/red dot WAR!

I actually would like to point out that Pictish Warrior is not a replacement for Swordsman, there is no doubt in my mind that the screenshot depicting Religion screen shows Iron Working and obviously a Swordsman, along that, the player is infact playing as Boudica because he's controling the unit with the Celtic color scheme, so the Pictish Unit is not a Swordsman replacement, not sure if we established that earlier and I'm just rambling.

Reading this post made me think...what if the Pictish Warrior is a warrior replacement? Since the Machine Gun has 60 strength, it is not inconceivable that a regular warrior now has 10 (with the Pictish Warrior's bonus being one more strength) or even 11 strength (in which case, the Pictish Warrior has some other bonuses (the two yellow triangles?)).

There is absolutely no evidence right now to support this pervasive theory that the combat values have been increased. The Machine Gun value of 60 doesn't mean anything by itself; we don't know what modifiers it has against various unit types (or what modifiers various unit types have against it), or what special rules it has to obey. An Infantry strength of 36 does not seem unreasonable against a Machine Gun strength of 60... WWI infantry charges against machine guns were complete suicide. And consider that there may now be two Industrial infantry units... the old WWI version and what appears to be a new WWII version.

I'm not saying that the values haven't increased -- anything is possible -- but at this point it's pure speculation. I don't see the point of increasing the health values if you're also going to increase the strength values.

Increasing all units' strength values by the same proportion would have no effect as it's the ratio of strength values that determines combat damage. However they may have increased some late game units' strength values if they've added in an extra tier of WW1-era units. It is therefore plausible that Infantry now have a higher strength value, but I see no reason why Warriors would have been changed.

However they may have increased some late game units' strength values if they've added in an extra tier of WW1-era units. It is therefore plausible that Infantry now have a higher strength value, but I see no reason why Warriors would have been changed.
They certainly may have done so; I'm just saying that right now there's no direct evidence of that.

We know they're adding 27 units and 9 civs. So 9 of those are most likely UUs for the new civs. The Pictish Warrior is most likely one of those UUs. We also know there are at least 2 new great people, the Great Prophet and Great Admiral. We also know there's a new early tank, triplane, biplane and machine gun. So that's 15 of the 27 new units, leaving 12 more. If there is 1 new naval melee unit for each era, that's 6 new naval units, leaving another 6 units. If the Machine Gun is in the upgrade path for the Archer and Crossbow, there's likely a Renaissance unit, such as Civ 4's Grenadier between the Crossbow and Machine Gun, leaving another 5 units.

Those last 5 units could be anything such as a 2nd UU for up to 5 of the 9 civs, a Great Spy, special units for the new scenarios, or just regular units added throughout the ages. If they are regular units then it stands to reason that the combat strengths of all units would be increased up to 2x the current to provide better gaps for those remaining units to fill, which would explain both the Pictish Warrior's strength while researching iron working and the machine gun, an industrial era unit, having strength between the mech infantry and modern armor, which are both modern era units.

This also indicates that we most likely will not have units for spreading religion like we did in Civ 4, because we'd need 11 units to spread all 11 religions, because they'd have to add at least 33 new units not just 27.

Top Bottom