I didn't know this about pillaging!

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Guess I simply never noticed this. I (Shoshone) am friends with Brazil, and I'm at war with the Celts. I have open-borders with Brazil, and my Pathfinder has been sitting here picking off trade routes and a couple of virgin Great Prophets (one which I've planted, the other is on his way). I haven't seen the other side of the Celts, but I think Brazil is the only civ they can reach.

My Pathfinder is sitting where that Celt caravan will be next turn. He was there another time, and I was mystified when a TR just disappeared. But another one just stopped there, and I happened to see "You plundered 100G from a caravan".

So, that's what happened! He AUTO-PILLAGED them!

Attachments

• Pillage Action.jpg
    Pillage Action.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 299
Yep, your units will plunder trade routes if they land on one you are at war with. I've even seen my units set on auto explore stumble on a trade route and plunder it

It's a good moneymaker to park some ships in front of Venice and reap 1000 gold for nothing mid-game. Venice is like the gift that keeps on giving.

the thing is, if you move your unit onto a trade route unit owned by somebody you are at war with, you will still have to use the movement point to plunder it. it's only when the trade route actually moves onto your unit by itself that the auto plunder is triggered

the thing is, if you move your unit onto a trade route unit owned by somebody you are at war with, you will still have to use the movement point to plunder it. it's only when the trade route actually moves onto your unit by itself that the auto plunder is triggered

No, you don't ^^

the thing is, if you move your unit onto a trade route unit owned by somebody you are at war with, you will still have to use the movement point to plunder it.
It does not cost a movement point to plunder a trade route -- but you have to have a movement point available. It is similar to how units with free pillage work: if they end their turn on an unpillaged tile, that hex is spared for the turn.

yup, I tend to do that sometimes. I sit a unit on a tile that's on a route and when I declare war, the route is auto plundered :]

I sit a unit on a tile that's on a route and when I declare war, the route is auto plundered
It is best to move your units onto trade units (even if they leaves them with no movement) on the turn you declare, before declaring. That will auto plunder them. Any trade routes to you will disappear when you DOW (meaning your opponent will have to rebuild them), but you will not otherwise get the gold plunder.

Not certain, but I think all TR in place between 2 civs are immediately plundered upon a DOW. And I think it happens both ways (you plunder theirs, they plunder yours). I don't think units are involved, it's just part if the DOW mechanic.

Above I was already at war, and was positioning the unit to be in range when the TR got close. The tile I set up in happened to be the same tile the TR eventually set in, and presto!

The first time (before I caught on) I did the same thing to a different route, but didn't notice the "You plundered 100G..." and so I didn't know what happened.

And I think it happens both ways (you plunder theirs, they plunder yours). I don't think units are involved, it's just part if the DOW mechanic.
Trades routes disappear, but neither side gets the plunder gold unless they have a military unit sitting on top of the trade unit.

Watch for this the next time you DOW an active trading partner.

Trades routes disappear, but neither side gets the plunder gold unless they have a military unit sitting on top of the trade unit.

Watch for this the next time you DOW an active trading partner.

Well, that explains even more for me. Wasn't that long ago that I learned about them automatically being pillaged upon a DOW. But I never thought I got enough gold when it happened.

But you're saying if I'm ON the right hex when I DOW, then I'll get the gold. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Top Bottom