Starcraft and Warcraft MOD sign up.

I believe it's about time we started thinking about the Civics for each game.

Starcraft: Terran civics
Power-
Dictatorship: One person controlls everything, base civ

Imperial: One person controlls everything, like dictatorship 2.0, bonus to military

Central Committe: an unelected committe controlls the state, bonus to worker speed

Representation: equal bonus to both happiness and science in large cities

Direct Democracy: bonus to culture, +happy , minor minus to upkeep

Government-
Survival of the fittest: base civic

Plutocracy: bonus to $, can sacrifice population to rush production with a minus to happiness

.... to be continued

Leif said:
I believe it's about time we started thinking about the Civics for each game.

Power-

Imperial: One person controlls everything, like dictatorship 2.0, bonus to military

Central Committe: an unelected committe controlls the state, bonus to worker speed

Direct Democracy: bonus to culture, +happy , minor minus to upkeep

Government-
Survival of the fittest: base civic

Plutocracy: bonus to $, can sacrifice population to rush production with a minus to happiness

.... to be continued

Sounds GREAT!!! we were having trouble with Civics for the MODs. More ideas more to flow with.

Power-
Low upkeep

Imperial: One person controlls everything, like dictatorship 2.0, bonus to military production and + to happiness.
Migh upkeep

medium upkeep

Medium upkeep

Direct Democracy: bonus to :Culture:, + happiness
Low upkeep

Economic-
no offical position: base civic
no upkeep

Plutocracy: bonus to :commerce:, can sacrifice population to rush production with a minus to happiness
Low upkeep

Profit Sharing: +1 to :hammers:, +1 to :commerce:
medium upkeep

Nationalized: No :traderoute:, + to :hammers: & :science:
high upkeep

Laissez-Faire: + to :traderoute:, - to happiness in large cities and + :yuck:.
low upkeep

Dictatorship of the Proletariat: exchange houses + to :gold: to a plus to :hammers:, upkeep reduction
low upkeep

more latter....

Sounds wonderful, so what would it mean to be a conclave?

conclave was a form of govt the Protoss used, at least i think it was! Anyway we can set the stats for everything for what buildings will do and unit stats, civic stats and all that.

Hey everyone, Last Night I created this Mutalisk and made two versions of it, one from a photo and another one from the small pixalated Blizzard one as reference. Tell me which one looks better? (im still not dome with the Blizzard version)

Attachments

• Mutalisk Render.jpg
    Mutalisk Render.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Mutalisk Variant.jpg
    Mutalisk Variant.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 127
Use the new Morrowind buildings for Warcraft!

Hi all.

I've recently been off doing horrible IRL things, but came back to the Civ4 scene when I heard that the SDK was released. So, here I am, looking for a project, and I think I found mine. Being a Starcraft player for 3/4 of my high school years gave me quite a good idea of how addictive a game could be, and I considered the gateway drug of choice for Civ3.

Of course, Civ4 is all about coding for me. I think I've finished two games total since I bought it the day of the release. Anywho...

I was wondering what people were thinking for general ideas of gameplay? When I first thought of this mod, I thought, "Make it as close to the original as possible, with the only difference being that it's turn-based (although a simultaneous-turn style game might look interesting) and that it uses the civ engine". Of course, that eliminates so much of the interesting gameplay options Civ4 has (like religions, UN, etc...)

So then I started thinking, "Make the game as close to Civ4 as possible, just replace all the references to Starcraft/Warcraft references. Replace models, Religions, etc., but keep the general gameplay". So I wondered where people were on this scale. War/Starcraft purists to Graphical/Reference changes only, or somewhere in between.

The first option to me seems more interesting, while the second seems a little easier. For example...

Most races use different buildings to make different units. I think it would be possible to use workers (peons, scv's, etc.) to make "Cities" that act as buildings, so that a "Barracks" city can only build Marines, Firebats and Ghosts, or be upgrading the various upgrades, whereas a "Factory" city can only build Vultures, Goliaths and Seige Tanks, plus the Workshop add-on as possibly another city that goes in the square next to it.

Lotsa work? Yes. Modifying using the SDK? Lots. But hey, it's like everest: that's what the SDK is there for, right?

So I'm just taking the temperature of the people on this project, hopefully punching a stim-pack in there. I'm fully willing to work on any c++/python code. I'm going to start experimenting with seeing what the chances are of editing how many units can be produced in one city (say, having three units being produced at once, such as a Zerg Hatchery. Edit: Although now that I think about it, creating a "Larvae" unit that "upgrades" to the units is prolly a better idea anyway...). Although if the general concensus is try to stick closer to Civ4, then I'll still be willing to help.

Here's to some fun hacking ahead : o)

Okay, I've taken the time to read through the entire thread to get a better idea of the where the project is so far. It seems there has been a lot going on in the coming up with ideas stage, but I don't see a central repository for decisions (either final or best-we've-come-up-with-so-far). Also, I'm hoping to get started on figuring out ideas of code, but until I know what to code, I'm not sure where to start. So, I was hoping we could get either a to-do list or a wiki or something to get everything centralized.

Being a coder, I know how much fun it is to start hacking away, but I think there should be a place where the actual rules come up. Is SC going to have three civilizations with multiple leaders, or multiple civilizations for each of the Terran, Protoss, and Zerg? Right now, there's no definitive answer, some it's impossible to start editing XML files. Let's put something on a wiki, and if someone has a problem with it, post a response here on the message board 'til it's resolved, and the wiki is updated with the proper information.

I think that we have very talented and enthusiastic people who want to make one of the coolest mod's around, but we're all going in so many different directions. If we can focus our efforts to how we're going to walk before we run, this can be a mod for the ages. : o)

I've come up with a quick free wiki-like site that could be useful for this purpose, if you wish to use it. I set it up for SC-only, thinking since it seems the project will be split in two, but if later we find out one wiki is better for both SC and WC I'm sure we can change this or make another one. The advantage to the wiki is that anyone can change it. (BTW, if it asks for a password, it's "Terran")

Sounds like a really good suggetion:) But maybe we should make them improvements, and not cities, since cities can't be made side by side, improvements can.

Magma said:
Sounds like a really good suggetion:) But maybe we should make them improvements, and not cities, since cities can't be made side by side, improvements can.

Well, I'm wondering if that can be changed, but then you might need to question if it's better changing the rules to allow cities to be placed closer to each other or changing improvements to be able to "build" the technologies or nukes or whatever. Then, another option would be to make the city build the technology only if the improvement is adjacent to it, which would go against SC purists, but might be easier to work out. Then again again, this is dependent upon the idea of things like seige upgrades being a thing researched at a factory add-on like in Starcraft or in the tech tree.

:eek: WOW When i was going about the days createing the graphics for the MOD, I was planning for a "Civilized" approach But now, You opened my mind man. those are some amazing IDEAS!!!, We could do two versions of the MOD one Starcraft Based and the other Civ based, but that would suck and would like double the work but it will help us find the better, more funner when we playtest them!

I was thinking how are we going to do photon cannons or Zerg sunkens or even zerg spores and the Terran missle turret. are we going to build them as cities or stuff like forts that can be built by SCV or Peon. Actually the Idea of the one city - one Building is awsome, but before I was thinking of building the Buildings like the fort on the map, but we can click on it -
(although we cant click on the fort in the bame, maybe you can use the SDK to give it that property soo we can have a more starcraft warcraft feeling)
- and depending on how much resources we have is how much we can build toward the price and price the Units and buildings the same as they are in the originals.

What im trying to say is, like when we used to play in starcraft and warcraft, we used to select the buildings by a click and have a choice of units, reaserch or Techs to choose from. I was thinking of maing the buildings for the starcraft and warcraft universe on the map as terrain improvements like forts and have the player click on them which will give Him what he wants to choose. We can edit the interface to have it look similars to the starcraft and warcraft style, soo we can click on what we want, like units and so on. We can have the units have a number of turns to be built also depending on the speed they were built in the originals. I think there is a Quota system in Civ IV that we can implament into thses buildings.

What worried me is how were going to make improvements such as the photon cannon and other similar buildings attack units on tiles. are they going to all have different ranges and attack units like 2 tiles away or 4 tiles away. how are we going to do that?

Edit: By the way thank you SOOOO much for your hard work on everything soo far and thank you soo much for the Civ Wiki!!!!! Your the Best man!
If you want to join the team you are 1000% welcome!!!:goodjob:

Another thing thats been bugging me is the Civ Combat system is kinda not the best for the MOD. Imagine have a marine vs. a battle cruiser, the battle cruiser would obviously win! Soo i was thinking, either we make the units very cheap and quickly produced, that we can have multiple units on the map, but we want to try to limit this because, some units are very low poly, Thanks to Killst4r for donateing them, and some are a bit high for the game engine (the ones made by me:blush: ).

Soo this is what i was thinking, we can have units bundle up togethe, like the Civ III army approach (i know that Civ IV has an army system but for some reason, it doesent seem like an army.) Like I was saying, we can have marines or Zerglings or even Zealots. We can limit the Group number to 12 per army (like in original). I was thinking of haveing the Units added on as they are built and not built directly as an army. Right now you are wondering, "WHATS THIS IDIOT SAYING, WHAT ABOUT BATTLE CRUISERS ARE GROUPED TOGETHER", well we can do that with the codeing that prohibits stronger units not have the ability to join together or medium units like Siege tanks or Archons to have a limited amount of army ability. we can even have mixed army.

Now, Do you remeber the combat system in the originals, that you can retreat if you are dying with the remaining troops? How should we implament those into the starcraft game? My idea is stupid and please find a better idea, its just an idea to get us thinking about something better. My idea is to have a retreat button in the battle view.

Another Crazy idea is that when the battle starts, we can code that the battle scene literally becomes an RTS(Real Time Strategy), where you control the units at real time and have them attack. Of cousre you would have to code sooooooo MUCH, soo well definantally scrap this idea. Im just throwing in these ideas to help further improve future ideas.

Killamike718 said:
:eek: WOW When i was going about the days createing the graphics for the MOD, I was planning for a "Civilized" approach But now, You opened my mind man. those are some amazing IDEAS!!!, We could do two versions of the MOD one Starcraft Based and the other Civ based, but that would suck and would like double the work.

I agree. I think finding a happy medium is the best way to go.

Killamike718 said:
I was thinking how are we going to do photon cannons or Zerg sunkens or even zerg spores and the Terran missle turret. are we going to build them as cities or stuff like forts that can be built by SCV or Peon. Actually the Idea of the one city - one Building is awsome, but before I was thinking of building the Buildings like the fort on the map, but we can click on it -
(although we cant click on the fort in the bame, maybe you can use the SDK to give it that property soo we can have a more starcraft warcraft feeling)
- and depending on how much resources we have is how much we can build toward the price and price the Units and buildings the same as they are in the originals.

What im trying to say is, like when we used to play in starcraft and warcraft, we used to select the buildings by a click and have a choice of units, reaserch or Techs to choose from. I was thinking of maing the buildings for the starcraft and warcraft universe on the map as terrain improvements like forts and have the player click on them which will give Him what he wants to choose. We can edit the interface to have it look similars to the starcraft and warcraft style, soo we can click on what we want, like units and so on. We can have the units have a number of turns to be built also depending on the speed they were built in the originals. I think there is a Quota system in Civ IV that we can implament into thses buildings.

What worried me is how were going to make improvements such as the photon cannon and other similar buildings attack units on tiles. are they going to all have different ranges and attack units like 2 tiles away or 4 tiles away. how are we going to do that?

The reason I was thinking make them buildings is to avoid the "how to click on them" problem. When you click on it, the option comes up with buttons for the different technologies.

For sunkens / turrets / cannons / etc, it would 'prolly be easiest to make them forts, then have a custom unit made on each fort when the fort completes, and at the beginning of every turn that the fort is alive. When the unit gets clicked, the user thinks they're clicking the building, even though in the code it's a unit, and the graphic in the lower-left will be of the building. Whenever the player issues a "move" command with that unit that attacks a unit, the battle is done between the unit being attacked and this special unit (call the unit a "Photon cannon" so the battle is between a "Photon Cannon" and the unit, rather than a "Ball of Psi and a unit", but have it's animation be of a flying ball of Psi energy on the game map). All of the battle stats for any building can then be easily put into a unit. Chances are the ball of psi will lose and die, but weaken the enemy unit. If the ball of psi finishes off the enemy, destroy the ball of psi directly after battle also. This would also allow for things such as Photon Cannons (being weaker) perhaps having 2 units per turn, whereas Sunkens (being stronger) having one, but that do more damage.

Building / Unit:
Terran Missile Turret / Ground-To-Air Missile
Protoss Cannon / Ball of Psi
Sunken Colony / Subterranean Tentacle
Spore Colony / Ball of Acid
Reaver* / Scarab
Seige Tank* / Seige Shell
Carrier* / Interceptor

Say a Sunken Colony can attack any unit that is three squares away, whereas a Photon Cannon can only be two. This is as easy as editting the movement range of their respective units. The only problem will be discovering a way for the units not to "stick around". For example, if a user tries to attack a unit in a square, but misses the square and their unit ends it's turn in an empty square. That's no good. Either, A.) When a unit has run out of moves, destroy it and make a new one at the fort to replace it, B.) Give each unit an infinite amount of moves, but kill it if it leaves a certain distance from the fort (this ruins the "change each units range easily" paradigm, however), C.) Disallow the unit to move unless it ends it's move in an enemy-controlled tile.

* While the Reaver, Carrier and Seiege Tank (in Seige Mode) are not TECHNICALLY buildings, they can have their units modified to be able to be a "transport" and work the same way as the above buildings. The reaver has no attack, but can launch it's scarabs that do massive suicidal damage to the unit it attacks and all units in that square (perhaps to units in the surrounding square). The same with the Seige Tank, although I don't think that a Seige Tank Shell should work like a Nuke unit.

The Defensive Traits of the defensive structures could also be a unit (this time, actualy called "Photon Cannon" that has a strength value, but does not attack or deal damage in defense. It's only there to keep track of how much damage the defensive structure has taken). When this unit dies, the improvement is destroyed, along with any remaining "ammo" units on the plot.

I'm not too sure how the bunkers would work. I'm thinking we could get them to work just like normal forts to start, that just add defensive modifiers with railroad-like squares surrounding it so that units can attack surrounding units and return to the bunker. Later on, we could find a way to make it so that instead of a defensive modifyer, any attacks on this tile gets put onto a custom unit called "Bunker" that will, if found in a tile, always take the attacks. At the end of each turn, the "Bunker" units strength is updated depending on what units are found on that tile. This would 'prolly be one of the tougher mods, though.

Killamike718 said:
Edit: By the way thank you SOOOO much for your hard work on everything soo far and thank you soo much for the Civ Wiki!!!!! Your the Best man!
If you want to join the team you are 1000% welcome!!!:goodjob:

Sounds good. I'm not sure how many people will use it, but I've always found that having things in a Wiki is just an easier way of getting things than a page on a forum. No offense of course. :p

BTW, Anyone else see the comparable nature of how cultures expand to how a Zerg creep expands? I was thinking we can use that for Zerg. Also, make a "City" or "Improvement" (not sure what would be better) called a "Pylon" for Protoss with a pre-defined cultural value, and all other Protoss buildings must be made within those cultural boundries.

Oh, and for how to make probes "Warp In" buildings, once again we could make an unit that is immidiatley put on the map (i.e. takes 0 turns to build) with a unit created on it called a Warp Rift (??). The unit starts off with 0.1 Strength, and must "heal" to full power. A script will check all "Warp Rifts", and any that are healed will become whatever they were designed to become. This also will allow for the building to be destroyed while being warped in, or the unit can be "disbanded".

So basically, here's what I'm thinking for Units / Improvements / City

1.) Anything that can attack or be attacked should be a unit (thus, Cannons would actually be units of movement 0, with it's ammo being units with movement of the range of the building.)
2.) Anything that is typically considered a "building" that "builds units" should be a city.
3.) An improvement can be used where one of the first two rules is not apply.

Okay, those are my brainstorms for the hour. I think I'm going to work on trying to make a demo where a worker creates a unit rather than an improvement, which is 'prolly the first steps to proving that these structures work.

NICE great job! You really got the Main system planned, but it seems complicated. Cant we just give everything Hitpoints to help us or is that not possible? I also wanted it to have Cities, Actual Cities,like remember in the original starcraft after you finished the Terran missions how they showed us that movie of that news report showing the terran Cities and remember in the protoss Brief hall, they have that Protoss city in the background. Is it possible to make another class or somethng like it to include cities?

Anyway, How would we have the Mineral and Gas collecting System done? Will the player need to build millions of SCV's or will they have one SCV per tile with resources?

we are going to allow burrowing for the Zerg unit and Hydralisk unit, and every other unit that burrows?

Edit: how do i sign up for the Wiki? I tried signing up and didnt see it.

Top Bottom