Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Sweet. I was able to take the other 2 capitals on my continent with a single horseman army. I used the settler at the enemies doorstep/road idea too, very very handy.

I haven't really looked into maintenance/corruption mechanics for CivRev. Are there any penalties for distance away from the capital or penalties in general? Since I don't see any other civ's, should I switch over to democracy for now? There aren't additional upkeep penalties for units based on gov't is there?

Thanks again for practically spoon feeding this stuff to me, I really appreciate the help.

edit: also is there a penalty for buying something with 0 hammers contributed like in the other Civ games?

No maintenance. No corruption. No inefficiency. No 0-hammer penalty. No unhappiness. No upkeep.

The only thing you might worry about is culture, but it's really not a worry. To get powerful fast, you pretty much have to have your citizens be filthy. If that bothers you, you can enculturate (just made up that word) them later.

The typical path would be horse rush (use Fundamentalism, if available), then Republic to expand, then Democracy for tech power. Then you could use Communism in the late game to build a lot of armies, if you want, though it's pretty winnable before Communism is available. You could stay in Democracy and have a peaceful victory. You could go back to Fundamentalism and kill. You could switch to Monarchy and commit some violent acts but keep your libraries functional (Monarchy isn't a very good government except at the start, but it has no drawbacks).

I usually spend a lot of the game in Republic (or Fundamentalism as Arabs/Indians). I use Democracy a lot too in games that go longer. I mostly play online and people lose or quit fast sometimes, unlike the AI that will stick around and not surrender no matter how badly things are going.

Well that first game seemed pretty easy, I bumped up the difficulty and am concerned all over again. It's like already ~800BC, I've captured 1 Capital and have 4 cities but like only 2-3 techs total. Maybe that's just how the years play out, but I feel like my tech is really lacking.

When going for domination should I be beelining specific military techs or do I want to stay more well rounded? i.e. I currently see no opponents, but I am also stuck with default gov't since I haven't researched much else. Should Navigation be a priority once my continent is cleared? I had a fully loaded galley die to an enemy galley last game which was brutal.

edit: What's the difference between "huts" and barb cities in game? I know huts from the other civ games but I was under the impression all of these "huts" are now barb cities essentially which isn't the case. Because I read strats for Americans sending out your GP to hope for certain things in "huts". I've discovered 10 gold a few times in forests that I name but that's about it.

edit: What's the difference between "huts" and barb cities in game? I know huts from the other civ games but I was under the impression all of these "huts" are now barb cities essentially which isn't the case. Because I read strats for Americans sending out your GP to hope for certain things in "huts". I've discovered 10 gold a few times in forests that I name but that's about it.
I think there are friendly barbarians and hostile barbarians ... some cities I enter give me a fight, and some that I enter give me a gift. I play on DS, they look different in some way but I can't recall how to describe it.

The friendly barbs act like the Civ 4 "goody huts", the hostile barb cities act like ... well, barb cities in Civ 4.

I think ...

dV

Hi. A couple of newb questions about SP strategy (I'll get to MP once I find my headset).

1) Is horserushing the only strategy that works on diety? I've messed around and have only found success with horses. Also in what ways does the AI cheat? I presume my bad rolls are just random and not a feature.

2) What is a good date to have won by for the various victory conditions?

Puck
1. Legion rush is good on small concentrated maps and the AI teleport tto area's in your fog of war however it still costs them production.
2.Technology = Record 50 AD Good=1000 AD
Domination = Record 3000 BC Good = 500 BC
Economic = Record 1200 AD (I think) Good = 1500AD
Cultural = Record 750 AD Good = 1500AD

Hope this is a relatively decent guideline

Boozie: this thread might not be the best place to dig deep into your strategy and give you advice on getting quicker. Why not post a new thread outlining what you're doing so we can offer help to make it flow better?

Puck: horserushing isn't your only option. You could go straight to expansion. You probably need to do one or the other on deity. The Romans are a good civ for going straight to expansion since you start with the Republic government. Try to expand out to 10 or more cities by 0 AD. Don't worry about tech until you have like at least 6 cities, then depending on what year it is, you could go for Irrigation and keep expanding. Maybe another thread again?

As for AI cheating, yes it can teleport units to the fog of war or to a boat (sometimes you'll see a galley that unloads a new army every turn or two). It can spontaneously generate spies to take out your fortifications. It can teleport GP and settlers around. The AI doesn't cheat in combat though.

The times Stephanovitch posted are good, though some players go for BC economic victories and stuff, which really requires a lot of optimization. Winning econ before 1000 AD is pretty doable with the Spanish, especially if you get an early GB (build the East India Company, of course).

Thanks and wow on those times. I have been trying to win a diety game with the Greeks for a while and they seem cursed. I actually lost a full strength warrior v barb fight which I had though wasn't possible. I'll give it a shot using expansion strategy but I wonder if that is viable without COL?

Why thank you Elthrasher *blushes* :lol: cant wait to get my brain into MP as ive been playing on my dad's ps3 which cant get internet but today i found receipt for my ps3 so anyone want a game add me Stephanovitchlll <-<-<- 3 lower case L's

Hi,

Is it going to be a new version of CivRev for PS3? the game was released in 2008 and i wanna but it, but i'm afraid that in a couple of months a new version is released and i'm stucked with an old one....

Should i buy it or wait a little while?

Thanks

Hugo

Some of the religious techs give you a bonus for being the first to discover the tech. Example: meditation providing the benefit of being the founder of buddhism, priesthood giving you a free tech.

My question is, what happens when more than one civ reaches the same tech at the same time? I'm assuming this is possible if 2 civs with beginning tech of mysticism founds their capital city immediately and chooses meditation for their first research. Wouldn't these 2 civs tie? What happens in such situations?

Thanks in advance

Some of the religious techs give you a bonus for being the first to discover the tech. Example: meditation providing the benefit of being the founder of buddhism, priesthood giving you a free tech.

My question is, what happens when more than one civ reaches the same tech at the same time? I'm assuming this is possible if 2 civs with beginning tech of mysticism founds their capital city immediately and chooses meditation for their first research. Wouldn't these 2 civs tie? What happens in such situations?

Thanks in advance

Try the Civ IV forum. This one is for CivRev.

Hi,
Is it possible to automatically upgrade units in this game? And if not, how much time should I spend building units to defend my cities?

Its annoying taking all the time building Archers for my cities only to research Pikemen when I have two Archers and I was waiting for the third to be finished being built to create an army.

Thanks.

Hi,
Is it possible to automatically upgrade units in this game? And if not, how much time should I spend building units to defend my cities?

Its annoying taking all the time building Archers for my cities only to research Pikemen when I have two Archers and I was waiting for the third to be finished being built to create an army.

Thanks.

The only ways to upgrade your units are to build Leonardo's Workshop (this works once) or be the Germans and have elite units (works every time you earn a new unit).

I have felt your pain but in general you don't really need to build defensive armies everywhere. You may need a couple where the AI is most likely to strike, but if you get faster in the game, you have less and less need for defenses. The AI is programmed as a bully and will attack if you're weak but will sit uselessly in its few cities building defensive units over and over if you're strong. That's assuming single player. In multiplayer games, defensive armies are even less useful as you really need offensive armies to go and take out whatever armies your enemy is sending to you. Destroy those and then you have no need for defenses.

To solve your particular problem, try building some single archers and pikemen at strategic spots around your empire. Don't army them automatically, but move them by boat or road to the cities that need them and then form armies as needed. Even if you have some "leftover" units, they can generally always be useful. For example, you could fortify an archer on a hill by one of your cities. That guy will serve as a lookout (he gets to see an extra tile) and will defend that hill. Islands are even easier to defend this way. Imagine you've got a city on a 4 tile island. Put archers or something (even warriors) on the remaining tiles of the island. That makes it impossible for your enemies to get a clean landing and makes the city much harder to assault.

Finally, there is a way to "upgrade" old units and that is with naval support. A basic vet cruiser fleet adds +13 to the attack and defense of a unit. An old 1/2 archer is now 14/15. Not too shabby. The extreme example of this is an English battleship fleet in the modern age which gives +58.5. Now your 1/1 warrior is 59.5/59.5. Yeah, that guy can beat riflemen armies with no sweat. When I play the English I usually go to war with battleships plus whatever units I have left over from the early game as they are still quite sufficient.

Note: when you complete Democracy you can go around and rush any in progress archers, but for that turn only. You can't start building archers and any uncompleted archers will just be stockpiled hammers next turn.

I have a question, how can I be sure what type of Great Person I am going to get? If I want to get a Great General(not the kind you get from battles) how can I be sure I'll get him and not a Great Scientist? I know that you need a certain amount of culture points to get a great person and that what you receive is somehow based on a tech.

Top Bottom