Civ V Civilizations Roster

i am sort of distressed not one person suggested Byzantium. and lasted longer than any state ( except for kush) and it had a huge influence on other civilizations,
The Romans and Greeks will both undoubtedly be included, pretty much covering a Greek speaking Eastern Roman Empire.

'd say substitude Turkey with Ottoman ... the Ottoman empire had much more impact than Turkey have had ...
Turkey would be used to represent the Turkish state whether it was called "Turkey" or not. Much like how Greece represents the various Greek states (notably Athens and Macedon), not the country of "Greece". And Germany should represent the various German states (at least from the HRE) which was a major objection to the HRE in BTS.

I do hope for multiple leaders for all civs, it just adds so much. And the ability to mix and match (unlocked leaders in BTS). Perhaps even further differentiate leaders beyond traits, with a special leader unit (say in addition to the American UU, Navy Seals in Civ IV: FDR would have a B-17, Washington a Minuteman, Lincoln a Monitor).

As a Brazilian, I'd love to see the Portuguese in this game. I know the chances are low, but I hope to see them at least on an expansion.
I don't like the fact that the Portuguese are always left out. I mean, a game called Colonization without the Portuguese? WTF Sid?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know there will be exactly 18 civs? Was this number announced somewhere or am I missing something else?

Here's my list:

1. Americans
2. Aztecs
3. Chinese
4. Egyptians
5. English
6. Florentine
7. French
8. Germans
9. Greek
10. Incans
11. Indians
12. Japanese
13. Mongols
14. Persian
15. Portuguese
16. Roman
17. Russian
18. Spanish

So I'm voting for two surprise civs. Also, I'm hoping to see at least two leaders for all (or at least most) civs.

For the first expansion:
19. Arabs
20. Assyrians
21. Babylonians
22. Ethiopians
23. Ghana
24. Hittites
25. Iroquois
26. Mali
27. Maya
28. Phoenicians
29. Polish
30. Sioux
31. Songhai
32. Sumerians

Thanks to Huayna Capac357 for civ ideas!

Edit: Replaced the Polish with the Portuguese.
Edit: Added the list for the first expansion.
Edit: Edited the list for the first expansion. (Three times.)
Edit: Added thanks.

Why Florence and Poland but no African civs?

I didn't even noticed the absence of African civs on my list before you mentioned it. Maybe Portugal (I replaced Poland with Portugal) could be removed in favor of Songhai or Ethiopia, for example. Also, Egypt is a North African civ.

I chose Florence, because there has never been a renaissance Italian city-state in Civ before, so I think now is the time.

I chose Portugal, because it was a major European colonial empire at the time of its height.

I'd say that Mali would be more likely than Songhai. Songhai wasn't really important except that it was the last of the three major West African trading kingdoms (Ghana, Mali, Songhai). Mali was more important and more well known too.

There should be Turks and their leader Ataturk. Ottomans are just a part of Turks' history. It's not enough to present Turks.

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Mansa Musa is more well-known, so it is better marketing. An important thing we have to take into consideration for especially the more obscure civs is which ones are more marketable.

Egypt (like Carthage) is generally seen as a Mediterranean civ and more closely related to Greece and Rome than Africa.

For an African civ I would take one more closely associated just with Africa (say Mali or Zulu).

I think the Mali are the way of the future. Firaxis finally realized that having a nation that only existed after about 1790 is worse than having one that is one thousand years old.

Sorry about this, I keep getting hte message that I am posting within 30 seconds, and have to try again when it actually posted and I don't realise it.

I'd say that Mali would be more likely than Songhai. Songhai wasn't really important except that it was the last of the three major West African trading kingdoms (Ghana, Mali, Songhai). Mali was more important and more well known too.

I added a list for the first expansion to my earlier post which includes many African civs. Thanks for mentioning Ghana, I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise!

I think that there are 15 civs that have to be in Civ V (my list except for Florence, Incans and Portugal), and that the remaining three can be almost any civs (though Incans as well as Arabs are likely to make a comeback).

Well, for the Sioux, they weren't really a civ; they were nomadic and had no writing, etc. I think the Iroquois are more likely.

Inca I expect to be in as a South American civ, unless Fireaxis pulls a different group out, such as Mapuche (just hte only other South American Civ of significance I can think of).

Then we have all continents except Australia/Oceania covered.

Leaving, of your list, which I generally agree with, either Florence or Portugal to be replaced with an African civ (besides Egypt, probably Mali, Zulu, or Ethiopia, but they may want to pull a surprise, I doubt Mali or Ethiopia were to expected) and one of whatever. SE Asia, Indonesia, or Polynesia would be nice.
Perhaps Maori? They have the name recognition, are as deserving as the Zulu (if not more), cover a new region, and are generally unique.

That is true, though I think that in the Vanilla we'll just have "big name" civs like the ones they've had in previous installments. I.e. Rome, Greece, France, China, you know, not too much innovation (for better or or worse)

Big name civs, and only 18? Huh, well, let's make a list.

1. Arabia
2. America
3. Aztec(WHY FIREAXIS, WHY?????? THEY'RE AS IMPORTANT AS TEOTIHUACAN AND LESS SO THAN THE MAYA, WHY????????)
4. China
5. Egypt
6. England/Britain
7. France
8. Germany
9. Greece
10. Tawantsinsuyu, the Inca Empire. Tawantsinsuyu is more appropriate, it's like calling France 'The King's Empire'
11. India
12. Mongolia
13. Ottomans
14. Persia
15. Rome
16. Russia
17. Spain
18. Zulu

That's right, I left out Japan. Being an isolated island culture is not great civilization, especially if you're in quasy-civil war the entire time. :p

Top Bottom