Civ 5 digital deluxe coming exclusively to Steam! Steamworks confirmed!

Tamed

Warlord
Woohoo, now everyone can easily play with their friends and get access to a bonus leader! :D

Article courtesy of Destructoid:

2K Games and Valve have inked an "agreement" to put out a special Steam deluxe edition of the no-troop-stacking Civilization title, Sid Meier's Civilization V.

According to a fresh out of the oven press release, the Digital Deluxe Edition of the new Civ will launch with a behind-the-scenes making-of video, the game's "epic" soundtrack, and access to Babylon's finest, Nebuchadnezzar II.

All PC pre-orders of this edition, as well as the normal peasant PC edition, will get access to an additional downloadable map pack called The "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack" which allows players to practice becoming Takers in the Fertile Crescent all the way to the Persian Gulf. All editions will also ship with Steamworks.

That's nice. Does it say anything if there will a native Mac version, now that Steam will be platform agnostic starting May 12th?

All versions of the game will use Steamworks, so yes, the Mac version should work fine with the Steam integration etc.

Fantastic news. Thanks for the info Tamed

Empire - I'm sure we will see a Mac version at some point in the future, although I think the last word from the devs were that they didn't currently have any plans for other platforms.

I guessed they'd be trying to sell extra civs for money. I don't like it, but I can see why they're doing it. Everybody's got to make money somehow.

I guessed they'd be trying to sell extra civs for money. I don't like it, but I can see why they're doing it. Everybody's got to make money somehow.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the Civs that are paid for will either be modded in or released free after the "preorder" period has ended, Firaxis is usually pretty sensible.

Edit: The preorder link just went up on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50100/

No not good news. AFAIAC Steam is a giant steaming pile of a piece of software and I have no use for it.

The Steam versions of Civ4 have had all kinds of mod compatibility problems because they saved files in non-standard locations.

The Steam versions of Civ4 have had all kinds of mod compatibility problems because they saved files in non-standard locations.

Uh, what? You just extract the mod to a different place. The only "problem" is the fact that it uses a different filepath so you have to manually edit it.

That said, Civ 5 is going to have mandatory Steamworks, so all the mods will be designed for Steam.

I love this. I'm a Steam Achievement whore anyways, and this makes it all the better. Plus, I think Steam is the bees knees in terms of digital distribution. Gotta make it to Friday, then pre-order.

It really bugs me that they put the Babylonians in the Special Edition, a Steam exclusive Special edition none-the-less.

What's wrong with wanting to have a box and a DVD and a nice manual I can read whereever I want to. Buying it digitally via Steam is just not an option for me. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam and use it regularly, but I really want to own a physical copy of my favourite games!

It really bugs me that they put the Babylonians in the Special Edition, a Steam exclusive Special edition none-the-less.

What's wrong with wanting to have a box and a DVD and a nice manual I can read whereever I want to. Buying it digitally via Steam is just not an option for me. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam and use it regularly, but I really want to own a physical copy of my favourite games!

AFAIC it will still be available in retail stores. The problem is, you'll be forced to use Valve's crapware no wether you want to play whether you want or not. No matter where you buy it steamworks will be mandatory to play the game.

As for me, I guess this will be the first Civ game I won't buy. I won't let Valve's resource hogging, system crashing, DRM laden bloated spyware program enywhere near my computer. They can stick those so called 'features', especially DLC crapware, where the sun does not shine. :mad:

AFAIC it will still be available in retail stores. The problem is, you'll be forced to use Valve's crapware no wether you want to play whether you want or not. No matter where you buy it steamworks will be mandatory to play the game.

As for me, I guess this will be the first Civ game I won't buy. I won't let Valve's resource hogging, system crashing, DRM laden bloated spyware program enywhere near my computer. They can stick those so called 'features', especially DLC crapware, where the sun does not shine. :mad:
So I suppose you are running a 1gb Win98 machine and last used Steam when HL2 launched, because that's the only way any of that makes sense

Oh come on, stop trolling. I'll address each point on a new line that's easy for you to read.

Resource hogging: Steam uses 40mb of System RAM, less than 1\4th of what Firefox uses.
System crashing: Excuse me? Steam cannot crash your system, it's not possible. The games on it can, but not the platform itself.
DRM Laden Bloatware: Steam is barebones and uses completely non-intrusive DRM that features an offline mode if you so desire.
Spyware: Valve is a video game company, not market research -- no spyware in Steam.

You're just being ignorant and trolling because you are living in the past, please stop.

That's nice. Does it say anything if there will a native Mac version, now that Steam will be platform agnostic starting May 12th?
Steamworks should help

:confused:

"It really bugs me that they put the Babylonians in the Special Edition"

you mean to play babylon you have to buy the speical edition

i wonder if that means they will not be in expansions so as not to offend the special edition buyers

then again i do not know what civs are in 5

the one leader idea i like tho

games tend to add in the wrong direction

multiplication is not more dramatic then absence

A better question is how does it work in multiplayer? If a special-edition buyer and a regular-edition buyer play a game together can the SE buyer still play as Babylonians?

PS. I was pretty sure I was going to buy the game on Steam anyway, so the addition of Steam Works is nothing worse than good news to me.

This is good news.

I am glad Firaxis has worked out such a deal with Steam. I think I'll preorder from them.

It's really not too big a deal as I'm sure this exclusive content will be bundled with any expansion down the road.

Steam doesn't worry me, I would have bought it on Steam regardless so having full Steamworks support is just icing on the cake.

What does worry me is how this exclusive civ will work in multiplayer and its cost. $10 for a civ?! That's what the rage should be over, not steam.

dam, I spent my money on the Rockstar pack.
If only I had waited a few days, aww well I'll pre-order later :)

Top Bottom