Jon Shafer leaves Firaxis!

If he's really gone it's probably due to poor sales.
Almost assuredly. I doubt 2K cares what happens to the franchise, so long as it's selling well.

I'm sure Shafer sold them on the idea that the game would sell well by following the New Bizzard Approach of simplifying the game for the masses. No doubt he dug his own grave with lofty sales projections.

how much of that was shafer and how much of that was 2k?
No doubt both parties are equally responsible. I haven't seen positive results with any of the buyouts of smaller developers. The industry is in a malaise brought on by the overwhelming trend of simplifying games.

Hahaha! This is great. He was definitely fired. "Non-disclosure" is right - they fired him, and declared they non-disclosure for PR reasons. Always looks bad to fire a lead designer after such a train wreck.

In other news, Civ5 is getting better by the minute. This is great news.

What are you all basing this "poor sales" theory on? You all are really overreacting -- the game didn't sell poorly at all.

What's the last good game that Sid Meier made? I don't recall Civ Rev getting a great reception here.

You speak the truth. I don't know why Sid Meier gets so much credit - never forget civfanatics, Civ Rev was Sid's personal monstrosity.

You speak the truth. I don't know why Sid Meier gets so much credit - never forget civfanatics, Civ Rev was Sid's personal monstrosity.

Civ Revolution was a good console game. Just because it was made for consoles and made for quicker games instead of the complicated longer PC games doesn't make it a "monstrosity." Some people prefer a game they can finish in a couple hours.

As long as we don't know who is taking over it's hard to say if this helps CiV to become what most expected it to be from the start.

However, this makes me feel hope again.

As long as it's not someone with a Civ3 pedigree or a modder.

Civ Revolution was a good console game. Just because it was made for consoles and made for quicker games instead of the complicated longer PC games doesn't make it a "monstrosity." Some people prefer a game they can finish in a couple hours.

Yeah, it's the only way my friend "knows" civ. He knows that Civ Rev is "lame" compared to Civ IV though also.

I also think Sid Meier is a bit of a hack who had a good idea 30 years ago and just rode the pony ever since.

I doubt Shafer leaving has anything to do with Civ V's quality. As others have pointed out, Soren Johnson also left Firaxis after finishing his work on Civ IV.

It seems like a typical business decision to me - once the game is released and major patches are done, why continue paying the lead designer? You don't need him any more, so just let him go. Fresh blood will be brought in to handle future expansions and sequels - that has always been the modus operandi of Firaxis with respect to the Civ games.

So, I think you guys are reading way too much into this.

This. This doesn't preclude them being unhappy with him or him being unhappy with them or both/neither, but it's quite possible it was going to happen in any case. Hopefully that new blood will come up with good ideas for expansions and if necessary be able to convince the higher ups.

I haven't seen positive results with any of the buyouts of smaller developers. The industry is in a malaise brought on by the overwhelming trend of simplifying games.
To add to this, I've seen good lead developers forced to fall on their own sword in similar situations. In those cases, there's always some executive with aims at moving to the parent company. Too often, the lead developer takes the fall. The industry loses a potentially talented developer, in order to support some obviously lecherous executive.

Based on his tweet I quoted above, he doesn't seem bitter about it or anything. But it also doesn't sound like he has another job he left for.

I don't see why everyone is defending Jon Shafer. :dunno:

He is the one who decided on global happiness to control expansion.

He is the one who decided on having the AI "play to win the game."

He was the one given a set release date years in advance*.

He was the one responsible for many of the core elements of gameplay that have formed a very messy game.

:viking: In what fantasy land is he the one defending the CivFanatics from the evil executives? Did the executives hand down global happiness, and Jon took it on the shoulder as our valiant knight of the CFC, knowing that allowing global happiness into his perfectly formed jewel of a game would give him the chance to show us such splendors as "I hate you because you're going for a victory condition" ?

*(I'm going to expand on this one, as obviously an inexperienced developer will have problems with his first deadline, and Firaxis axing employees right before the end didn't help, but the deadline wasn't handed out at the last second).

Will Jon Shafer ever play a Civ game again? Did Soren play Civ5 and if so what was his opinion on it? :D

He tweeted that he looks forward to enjoying the games as a fan again, so I assume he will.

It would be good if he did, and posted his comments and criticisms ... it would be fun to see him answer back at all his critics. :D

Most people, since Civ 5 was launched, criticized the game.

Other people defended the game with arguments like "it's selling well" and "look at steam, there are 50k people playing it right now".

The truth is, all of these are falacious arguments that have no use in this discussion.

If you have a forum full of fans that can't agree whether the game is a success or not, then IT IS NOT.

So 10,000 active fans on ALL Civ forums (reasonable guess) is indicative of the failure or success of a game that sold 1,000,000? All it says is 1% of the player base can't decide if it's a success or failure.

Nice try mate, come back when you can talk some sense. ;)

Top Bottom