Unique Ability Elimination Thread

I think you meant do not*

And I feel as if they do. I notice a small growth in cost with number of cities myself - I am not sure how the formula is though as I have mostly noticed this on quick

Agreed with Woodshadows, it isn't a flat modifier, probably because they tend to generate unwanted GP. I'm going to confirm this today, though, but it seems alright: 100 turns after building stonehenge and with three cities, I got my first GE, so it didn't have any modifier.

worst ability surely has to be fuehrer teutonicus. so frustrating to sit around attacking a barb camp, only to end up getting no conversion. or, you get a conversion and then your big reward is a brute. it seems like since G&K you can't even farm barb camps anymore, I tried using archers to kill the barb in the camp but then the barbs just stop spawning inside the camp, but instead spawn beside it.. maybe it takes some time, but by that time an AI jumps in the camp and gets the gold for it. the 25% savings on unit maintenance is okay, but it should really be larger and the conversion should be 100%, like it is with privateers. wayfinding is actually a really good UA and it's surprising how low people rate it on these threads, it provides so much early/mid game versatility that no other civ can really match. the only knock against it is that by mid-late game when everyone has astronomy you basically are playing without a UA in many ways, which is just as annoying as when France's UA stops working, only this comes much earlier.

One of my favorites. Furor Teuronicus only gives you a unit when you take a barb camp, not just for killing a barb in the camp, though it can give you a unit when you take a camp after killing it with an archer (so without a unit there).

Maybe it's that I play on marathon, but I see spearmen a lot on barb camps, which seems to be the point of the UU and UA, working together to get your big army of pikemen before anyone else can build one.

I'd think on faster speeds it would be even better though, because barb camps spawn so much more quickly, allowing someone to build their army quickly and not going into debt on the way to Civil Service.

Then again, there's that problem that some UA's are so connected to a UU or UB that it's almost impossible to separate. I feel like the Long Count is the same way, that the extra faith and science is made so that you can get a Pantheon, grab a free GPr, and get another with the Hagia Sofia. It falls apart and looks much worse without the UB.

this sounds more like a stereotype black and white way to think, perhaps more relevant to vanilla but not so much for G&K. happiness isn't much of a limiting factor for expansion, i always end up with excess happiness even with the most aggressive city building possible (selling all lux, fast liberty tree settler, building settler, etc). i should note though that i find on most maps if you choose the standard number of players per map there just isn't a lot of room to expand beyond maybe 8 cities MAX, unless you happen to have a neighbour who doesnt like to expand. i find with the set number of players per map there is only so much room to keep expanding, so if i get 8 cities i feel lucky, generally it's probably closer to 6. so this might not count as 'ics', but im not sure how you can 'ics' more than this when the ai generally ics'es themselves and maps have only so much room per civ for expansion. in any event, at 8 cities expansion happiness has never been a limiting factor for me and my cities (assuming decent land) become all equally large.

Yes it is, it depends entirely on the map and how fast you can get luxuries and happiness buildings built. Overexpansion can stiffle vertical city growth and severely reduce the amount of population you can grow in a smaller number of cities. Even with just 4 cities and 5 - 6 luxury resources, I will still be at under 5 surplus happiness while pop booming my cities. Population growth happens very quickly if you focus on it.

More cities are NOT increases the GP cost.

Look at your GP pool before and after settling a new city, it increases by 100 points per city built.

One of my favorites. Furor Teuronicus only gives you a unit when you take a barb camp, not just for killing a barb in the camp, though it can give you a unit when you take a camp after killing it with an archer (so without a unit there).

I could almost swear that in vanilla you could sit outside a barb camp with a couple archers and just keep killing the unit that would spawn inside. i only played germany once in vanilla though so i could be remembering incorrectly, but i know i somehow managed to farm camps to get the conversions. really weak if you have to take the camp, even playing aztecs and going all-out barb camp busting on epic i only usually find 3 camps on average.. so that's like a 1.5 unit conversion per average game. maybe on archipelago you can leave some corner of your island alone and wait for new spawns and keep going back.. i do love landsknechts though, tedious as hell but amazing to have even poor production cities just flooding them out. i played a game with germany recently with four really crap cities, soon as i got civil service i just went pure landsknechts, no siege, no range, barely even tried to use tactics, just a carpet of annoying pikemen walking towards enemy cities, heal-on-promo'ing, the ai couldn't keep up.

I have always been partial to Viking Fury.

lots of people seem to like it, but i havent found it all too useful for me. no real economic,science or production bonus and the military bonus doesnt seem nearly good enough, it's just sooo niche, specialiced, only useful in a few situations and seems especially weak now that navies are so much better. if movements weren't lost while moving into water that would make it much better, but even still, id take almost any other ua than this one.

Top Bottom