Indonesia discussion

Oh, and I forgot to ask. Has the leader music been revealed yet? I love Indonesian gamelan and was hoping this was somehow incorporated. :D

Not yet. But don't worry: if they can find an Old Javanese speaker (really, really impressed they did this instead of just an Indonesian speaker) then they for sure know to make gamelan the music

@seancolorado: Whaddya think of the Indonesia civ so far now that we got all the goodies?

I also wanna hear the music they'll have. That'd be interesting. Well, actually, for all the leaders, frankly - we have a pretty interesting group for the most part.

@nunor :
Can you change the UA's effect..??
I'm notice that you still using the wrong version.. Thx.. :D

And since a lot of you are asking, this is the exact text on the Indonesia UA:
"Spice Islanders"
"The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed)."

I goofed and said first 2 cities in the video, but it's actually 3.

Not yet. But don't worry: if they can find an Old Javanese speaker (really, really impressed they did this instead of just an Indonesian speaker) then they for sure know to make gamelan the music

Nice!

Chubby Mada made my day! Eat all the Candi(es)!

(Yeah, I know. That was pretty bad)

Haha, but not as bad as if he were to found Kristianity... (also pretty bad :(:(:blush::(:lol::blush:)

What do I think in terms of gameplay potential? Or what do I think in terms of how they represent Indonesia?

Both. But more the latter, since you're the Indonesia civ fanboy here. :p

Personally I was afraid they'd make Gajah Mada look too much like Ramkhamhaeng and making them look like they were both just two generic SE Asian leaders, but I think they did a pretty good job of distinguishing the two. Gajah Mada's scene is much darker and brooding (not to mention he's waving around a weapon like nothing), while Ramkhamhaeng looks a bit more polite and reserved.

I have to say I'm somewhat annoyed with the UA adding more cities that can't be razed on the map (4 total including the capital).

I also hope the Candi does more than a raw faith yield. That's such a boring ability and the garden is hardly early enough for it to matter for ensuring you found a religion. I suppose it won't have a fresh water requirement, though.

Both. But more the latter, since you're the Indonesia civ fanboy here. :p

Indeed I am. And I recognize you were the Vietnam one: I don't know if you noticed but I was with you throughout that whole speculation on cheering for Southeast Asia, including Vietnam. It's a damn shame only one had to make it.

As for the Civ itself, people say Indonesia is all over the place. And I agree. But I agree happily because it shows the designers did their homework and here's why, broken into pieces:

"The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started..."

This captures the maritime culture of Indonesia while still providing a different incentive to explore that is wholly different from similarly strategic-explore civs like Spain and Polynesia.

"...each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources..."

Depends on what the resource is, but this captures the cultural/spiritual (batik) OR agricultural/trade (rice/spice-related) prowess of Indonesia. In any case, it captures the trading importance of Indonesia as it forces you to trade your extra copies of 'mystery resource' to maximize on gold - in other words, friendships will be very important. I can forsee this being a talking point vs. Portugal: Which civ's resource aspect is better? It's interesting not just from a gameplay standpoint but also because these are two nations who traded in very different ways: one more aggressive, the other more diplomatic.

"...(and can never be razed)."

The alleged final aspect to the resource. I'm sure the designers have nothing but gameplay in mind, but they inadvertently captured a massive part of the Majapahit: the ability to have their cities remain both physically and culturally in tact no matter the type of the invasion. (Mongol, Dutch, and Japanese "invasions" are all examples.)

UU Kris and UB Candi are great choices for Uniques. Spirituality is very important and it's great they have a unit that symbolizes culture :c5culture: more than war. I believe the "random" aspect was to signify how the kris had its own "spirit", so to speak, and thus was different for each warrior. "The wand chooses the wizard, Harry." Candi, pronounced with "ch," represents the religious syncretism which was arguably Indonesia's most unique factor during the Majapahit reign.

Really, gameplay is hard to say. They look fun yet challenging with both the potential to be either amazing - or the potential to be flat out unsynergetic. We'll have to wait and see. ;)

UA: Spice Islanders
- "The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed)." (according to zacminor from Rev3games)

Isn't it first 2 cities? That's what Zac said (unless I missed something from an article) in this video at around 0:52 seconds or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6LHvaiTIc

Well Indonesia seem's to be pretty useless with its UA. Then they also get a Unique Unit Swordsmen with 14 strength making them weak for domination since Firaxis isn't fixing Range>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melee issue currently.

Indeed I am. And I recognize you were the Vietnam one: I don't know if you noticed but I was with you throughout that whole speculation on cheering for Southeast Asia, including Vietnam. It's a damn shame only one had to make it.

Yeah, the zero-sum game aspct of the thing sucks, but hey, having 2 SE Asian civs is a miracle for the civ series at this point. :lol:

Plus, when I play, I can just rename Indonesia to "Vietnam" and call it a day. (Granted we don't have many famous big Vietnamese leaders, come to think of it...) :p

As for the Civ itself, people say Indonesia is all over the place. And I agree. But I agree happily because it shows the designers did their homework and here's why, broken into pieces:

Good analysis of Indonesia's abilities. I wasn't sure why the no city razing part of the UA was there, but that makes sense (although it could make sense for several other civs as well... many, really).

Yeah, the zero-sum game aspct of the thing sucks, but hey, having 2 SE Asian civs is a miracle for the civ series at this point. :lol:

Plus, when I play, I can just rename Indonesia to "Vietnam" and call it a day. (Granted we don't have many famous big Vietnamese leaders, come to think of it...) :p

Good analysis of Indonesia's abilities. I wasn't sure why the no city razing part of the UA was there, but that makes sense (although it could make sense for several other civs as well... many, really).

I did that with Siam, replacing the city-names with Jakarta, etc. Then I did it with Polynesia. It actually helps with the immersion

And yeah, I actually think the razing aspect is purely for mechanics, but it's pretty neat that it happens to make a whole lot of sense as well

UA brings happiness immediately and gold/trade advantages as well.

I have seen a couple people mention it but these cities can be settled with a nice happiness cushion with the automatic luxuries on top of whatever luxuries you settle near. This can be crucial for early growth.

Once we actually have a chance to play this civ I think we'll be surprised at how advantageous it is . . .

dam how are they going to play on fractal oval and pangea? seeing as they are the main maps i play. mabey now with tradeing i might have a very good reason to play some more islandy maps.

p.s. there ua/uu/ui are spot on

Best. Friday. Ever.

Top Bottom