Venice discussion

Yeah, hypercube. They'll be tricky to play well, but...wow, they look pretty strong. The ability to buy in puppets is huge, but that means only one city will ever be able to actually, you know, BUILD units.

It'll also be an interesting balance with war. You need to conquer to get cities outside of your capital or CS spots, but you probably want to be careful about crippling an enemy early, unless you want a runaway to build up all the land meant for you and him, and if you get a lot of civs that like to go tall...well, I've seen situations where the right combination of civs won't take all the land offered into the atomic era.

I don't know if I want to discount them because they can't settle where they want, have two mediocre UU's (I'd take a pair of gold producing UB's and conquer the CS's myself), and, realistically, need to war to expand. Or if I want to call them boarderline broken by being able, to some small extent, control their puppets.

I see trouble in a few things, though. First, it seems puppets still suffer a culture penalty, so their boarders won't expand so well, unless you take a well developed city. Second, puppets sometimes get stuck trying to build units. When this happens to me, I normally sigh and annex, but Venice will have no such ability. A stuck puppet will be stuck until it decides to change. Finally, buying is expensive. They have no bonus to money making (come on, how...HOW can they not have a UI to replace trading posts? Awesome for a puppet empire), so you're going to have to trust the puppets to build the right thing most of the time (and it seems they also lack the ability to focus puppets on anything, so default focus all around) or not spend any money on rush buying units in what, for your military production, becomes a one city challenge.

I could see them getting tweeked a bit, but it is really so different that we'll need to play around with it a while before we can figure out if it's awesome, balanced, or terrible. My gut says humans will have a hard time, while the insane gold the AI gets will make it really strong in their hands.

Well since captured settlers turn to workers, that's not a problem. The conquistador on the other hand would be interesting to see.

The wording 'cannot gain Settlers' would seem to imply not just that they cannot be built or captured, but they cannot be acquired in any way. I hope they remembered to extend this to Conquistadors!

I am very, very excited about Venice overall, particularly the UA. The UUs sound pretty fun - a Galleass replacement was kind of expected, although since I hardly ever build them, it'll be interesting to see how useful they are.

I think I would have preferred a UB to the Unique Great Merchant, although I have to admit that I like the nod to Shakespeare :p

One thing that hasn't been brought up is that I guess this confirms that Indonesia is indeed our 'resource Civ'. I'll now be quite disappointed if Indonesia's unique luxuries are not truly unique.

The wording 'cannot gain Settlers' would seem to imply not just that they cannot be built or captured, but they cannot be acquired in any way. I hope they remembered to extend this to Conquistadors!

I can only imagine this is right. I have a hard time imagining anything else.

Carthage can't build cities on mountains, for instance. Though that is a bit more obvious than Venice with the right militaristic CS ally, I can't imagine it would be so rare that no one thought of it during development.

Rooftrellen: Actually, Venice does have a gold-enhancing ability: they get double the normal number of trade routes. Since they've nerfed river/sea tile gold yield, this can only be assumed to be a major source of income.

blackcatatonic: The Galleass is a very good unit, so the UU should be quite exceptional. I imagine they will be used mainly to guard your trade routes and as naval siege equipment to soften up units. I've had very good luck with that approach.

I just hope that Venice is hard-coded to start on a coast, if available.

Here's my question - if you can buy in puppets, doesn't this make Venice the ultimate culture civ? You could now buy culture buildings in them, but because they are puppets the social policy cost isn't going up. That seems crazy to me.

Venice does sound challenging. You can only expand through war and Great Persons, bu thou run on trade. Who do you go to war with? Your immidiate neighbors are going to be your first trade partners.

Also, does having so many trade routes make up for the disparity in science due to having fewer cities?

And, look out Ethiopia. Your UA will hardly ever work against Venice.

These may be nitpicky, but I do wish they could build settlers, even if they were something like six times as expensive (and founded puppet cities). In all practicality, it would just mean that the free settler from Collective Rule wouldn't be a waste.

I do hope that they give Venice a city-list anyway. At a minimum, it would solve the problem of what to do if there are two Venices on a map.

Finally, I wish the names of units were a bit better. Merchants of Venice is ok in the same sense that Walls of Babylon is, but it's not very interesting (Venetian Merchant of Venice). Combined with Great Galleass, it's pretty disappointing. Maybe Merchant of St. Mark (to reference the merchants who smuggled St. Mark's body into Venice), but I may be grasping at straws there.

ETA: "Great Galley" seems to turn up more results than "Great Galleass," so maybe that would be better. It's probably six of one half dozen of the other, though, because many sources use Galley and Galleass interchangeably.

I wonder wich victory type venice is best suited for anyone have a idea? I can't say it directly I would say diplomatic because of the massive gold for trade routes?

I wonder wich victory type venice is best suited for anyone have a idea? I can't say it directly I would say diplomatic because of the massive gold for trade routes?

Gotta be something related to culture. I'm not sure exactly how building up culture helps you win now, but if you can build culture buildings in puppets, that would provide huge amounts of culture without increasing the cost of social policies. They will have far and away the most social policies in the game if you play it that way.

Seems interesting, but I think I will play Venice last of the 9 new civs. I prefer playing wide, but it sure sounds like a wet dream for tall players.

Gotta be something related to culture. I'm not sure exactly how building up culture helps you win now, but if you can build culture buildings in puppets, that would provide huge amounts of culture without increasing the cost of social policies. They will have far and away the most social policies in the game if you play it that way.

Culture victory has been changed checke the forums it no longer requires you to complete social policies trees. You need to create a lot of tourisme and get high influence with other civs to win. Having more cities to put great works in it helps for culture victories and you can't control puppits so I thinx venice isn't a good civ for culture.

I would thinx either science or diplomatic because domination is not so good because you are wasting trade routes

Eagle: Well, if you're behind in science, the trade routes will give you science....

Also, if I'm playing Continents (which I'm likely to do as Venice), I would probably do my level best to eliminate all other Civs on my Continent, and use my land trade routes with CSs. (I don't expect that I'll want to puppet them all that much.)

I mean, really, an upgraded Galleass? I'll certainly be riding that to naval domination.

Louis: Well, I can only think that Venice will avoid Liberty. It's rather like Japan and the 'while wounded' Autocracy perk, except that Venice really shouldn't want to go the Liberty route, while Japan did indeed want to go Autocracy by inclination.

On that note, I would guess that Venice has only two choices when it comes to initial Social Policies. The first, and by far the more obvious, is Tradition. Enforced OCC generally will mean that. OTOH, Honor is a very interesting choice if you go Warmonger from the start. Piety is a third choice, but I can't think of anything that would be _really_ nice for Venice to get, besides maybe God of the Sea and, well, even more money with Tithe, etc.

Commerce is, of course, a no-brainer.

Apocalypse: OTOH, all those trade routes are excellent vectors for tourism. We don't know yet, of course, but Venice's doubling of trade routes may mean it is the only civilization that can have a trade route with every other Civ in the game, meaning it can get a 25% bonus to its Tourism in the same way.

Diplomatic is probably their default mode, but only if they don't use their City-State purchasing idea.

Science is not likely, as they cannot necessarily control their puppets to the point of being able to have Science parity with others.

They are most certainly well-poised for a Domination victory in my mind. Lots of money, and they can defend their puppets much easier than anyone else can because (AFAWK) they can buy units to defend them.

Culture depends on how all of that has changed.

Not sure what some of you were expecting. This is about as hypercube as it gets within reasonable gameplay

Yeah, I don't get that either. They sound about as 'hypercube' as could have been expected. Definitely challenging.

I already look forward to the inevitable 'HAHA YOUR EMPIRE'S REALLY SMALL HAHAHA!' taunts from the hostile AI...

Venice does sound challenging. You can only expand through war and Great Persons, bu thou run on trade. Who do you go to war with? Your immidiate neighbors are going to be your first trade partners.

Also, does having so many trade routes make up for the disparity in science due to having fewer cities?

And, look out Ethiopia. Your UA will hardly ever work against Venice.

You could, theoretically, expand though trade, but it's not easy. I have managed to buy conquered cities from other civs, but they demanded a massive ransom. I've never been able to buy a city that civ settled.

In general, it's nice to be friends early with people on the other side of your neighbors though, because the people closest to you rarely stay friends for long anyway, so those other civs will likely be your ideal trade partners, even early, so long as it's possible to get to them.

They'll be fine on science, since they'll have a tall capital and easy EASY access to all national wonders. Their ability to get wonders, however, is questionable at best.

@Ulthwithian True, I overlooked the extra trade routes. I've just been assuming they won't be a huge deal, but if they are a major source of income, Venice could really be rolling in cash, enough to focus puppets a bit, at least, while buying enough units to stay safe.

Top Bottom