Ials pbem #1

The last save I received from Bathsheba was 600AD on the 23rd. I sent that to Arwon on the 24th, he had a problem with the save I sent him, so I deleted my saves, replayed the turn, and sent him 600 again on the 25th.

Looking back through my email trash folder, I also received a 600AD save from Bathsheba on the 12th.

So the problem didn't begin with me.

My sent mail shows the attached file as
IALS_#1_AD-0620_to_Flying_Pig.CivBeyondSwordSave

In other games I've noticed corrupted saves when simply over-writing old ones. I suggest people delete the old files before re-downloading and replaying.

So... I'm reluctant to replay a turn, but I guess I could...

Or could Flying Pig, Scienidez or bathsheba666 play their current turn and send the save?

bathsheba knows about the fluke. I just PMed Scienidez and FP.

Here's what I think will get the save back on track:

1. Scienidez checks his ~/saves/pbem/IALS_#1/ folder to make sure that the most recent file is IALS_#1_AD-0620_to_Cutlass.CivBeyondSwordSave

2. If it's NOT, then Scienidez replays the save IALS_#1_AD-620_to_Scienidez.CivBeyondSwordSave and takes care to hit enter at the end (not hitting enter is the most frequent causes of my save-forwarding errors :blush:)

3. If it IS, then Scienidez attaches the save named IALS_#1_AD-0620_to_Cutlass.CivBeyondSwordSave to the email to Cutlass.

4. Cutlass deletes all saves in the ~/saves/PBEM folder from the years 6xx; as well as all saves in the ~/saves/PBEM/IALS_#1 folder from the years 6xx.

5. Cutlass then downloads the save Scienidez sends him - this will be safe to do since the old ones are deleted. No overwrite errors from now on.

6. Cutlass then plays that save, and emails it on as usual.

Sorry if this post is coming across as condescending or explainlikeimfive - I really don't intend that. It's just that I have extensive some experience unravelling issues caused by inadvertently overwriting save files. I now have things set up so that I can't download a save of the same filename as a previous save - this way I catch the issue immediately.

Please don't ask me what I did to set up that folder filter - it was years ago.

Here's what I think will get the save back on track:

1. Scienidez checks his ~/saves/pbem/IALS_#1/ folder to make sure that the most recent file is IALS_#1_AD-0620_to_Cutlass.CivBeyondSwordSave

2. If it's NOT, then Scienidez replays the save IALS_#1_AD-620_to_Scienidez.CivBeyondSwordSave and takes care to hit enter at the end (not hitting enter is the most frequent causes of my save-forwarding errors :blush:)

3. If it IS, then Scienidez attaches the save named IALS_#1_AD-0620_to_Cutlass.CivBeyondSwordSave to the email to Cutlass.

4. Cutlass deletes all saves in the ~/saves/PBEM folder from the years 6xx; as well as all saves in the ~/saves/PBEM/IALS_#1 folder from the years 6xx.

5. Cutlass then downloads the save Scienidez sends him - this will be safe to do since the old ones are deleted. No overwrite errors from now on.

6. Cutlass then plays that save, and emails it on as usual.

Sorry if this post is coming across as condescending or explainlikeimfive - I really don't intend that. It's just that I have extensive some experience unravelling issues caused by inadvertently overwriting save files. I now have things set up so that I can't download a save of the same filename as a previous save - this way I catch the issue immediately.

Please don't ask me what I did to set up that folder filter - it was years ago.

The only slight problem with your analysis is that Scienidez needs to send his save to me, and not Cutlass. The thread post #2 has an up to date play order.

Why don't we simplify, Cheetah can play 600 again, and we'll just go on from there. Seems the simplest way to recover from the problem.

@Scienidez: Great. And don't worry too much - none else noticed it was the wrong turn either! :eek:

Why don't we simplify, Cheetah can play 600 again, and we'll just go on from there. Seems the simplest way to recover from the problem.
Since neither bathsheba, you, Arwon nor Atticus have played the 620 CE save yet, the easiest is in fact to just play that one: No saves that need to be deleted, and no problems. ;)

640AD to Flying Pig.

I've renamed my leader to Paradigm Grimes. Has a nice ring to it :D

Has anyone heard from PS yet? He wasn't Kayla, I hope :shifty:

Top Bottom