Quick Questions and Answers

Generally speaking, is it bad strategy to work on multiple social policy trees at once? I generally find myself wanting to start with Liberty or Tradition but then also opening Honor for the bonus vs. barbarians. Would it be better to stick with one tree until it's finished?

Also if anyone can give any quick hints on how to achieve Science victory, that would be great. I can't seem to do it on Prince difficulty; there are usually one or two Civs way ahead of me. I think it's because they have way more cities, so more science, so I think I probably have to either settle more cities (I have been usually sticking with 4 or 5) or conquer some to get my science pool bigger.

Can someone give me their take on prerequisite building conditions? To build a Circus, Stable, Stone Works, etc. you need the appropriate resource connected to you city (I understand that, easy!)

The one quirk I know of that stone works cannot be built if city is settled on plains. Totally arbitrary, and it sucks if you learn this the hard way! Also “connected to your city” means “inside your borders and within three rings of your city”.

But what dictates which city gets the prerequisite...??? I always thought it was the first city to acquire it by border growth...Is that Right? Is there any way to manipulate your tile selection to enable a building condition when you have multiple cities sharing the same tiles (other than dropping a Citadel), or are you locked into it!?

I think it is natural border growth and you can’t control it. I remember one time buying the tile from City A but the resource was assigned to City B anyway. I have not since experimented, and now make it a point when settling not to have it happen.

Generally speaking, is it bad strategy to work on multiple social policy trees at once?

Yes, generally speaking.

I generally find myself wanting to start with Liberty or Tradition but then also opening Honor for the bonus vs. barbarians. Would it be better to stick with one tree until it's finished?

Very tempting, but forum consensus clearly disavows the practice. The increased culture cost to SP policy is more than you can reasonably expect to gain from barb hunting.

Also if anyone can give any quick hints on how to achieve Science victory, that would be great. I can't seem to do it on Prince difficulty; there are usually one or two Civs way ahead of me. I think it's because they have way more cities, so more science, so I think I probably have to either settle more cities (I have been usually sticking with 4 or 5) or conquer some to get my science pool bigger.

I think you are better off starting a thread on Strategies and Tips because you prolly need a dialog, but here is the best guide from the War Academy. At Emperor and below, an SV should be pretty straightforward with four cities without taking cities.

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean by "The increased culture cost to SP policy"?

Do you just mean because I'm choosing a new policy, thereby making the cost of the next policy go up, that it should go toward finishing a tree rather than dipping into a new one?

Why does it matter if I'm not going for a cultural victory? Just because of the "finisher" benefit?

Generally speaking, is it bad strategy to work on multiple social policy trees at once? I generally find myself wanting to start with Liberty or Tradition but then also opening Honor for the bonus vs. barbarians. Would it be better to stick with one tree until it's finished?

Many times it depends on situation:

For example:
If you going to play Culturally, and go for "Sacred Sites", your going to go "Liberty" hard til "Collective Rule", then switch to "Piety"....It is very hard to spam cities quick enough unless they are 1/2 Off the normal price.

Also depends on Game Situation, Time, Difficulty, etc.

For example:
Recent Gauntlet: King, Boreal, Diplomacy, Marathon

-I always opened "Honor" right away, and then never touched it again! It is King level, Do I really need more military advantage? But, Where are you getting Culture from Quickly on in Marathon game...Killing Barbarians!

Beetle
Very tempting, but forum consensus clearly disavows the practice. The increased culture cost to SP policy is more than you can reasonably expect to gain from barb hunting.

-Have a plan before you start, and cater the game to your strategy. I played "Raging Barbarians" for this Gauntlet. Many more attempts at culture, and when you find a camp at CS borders you can charge it up twice as quickly. I doubt if the "Forum Consensus" is factoring the more numerous kills, and rationalizing 3 CS allies early game.

Don't Lock in to the theory of closing it out,...It's not always the best way, or most enjoyable.:)

Does buying the app for mac require the use of steam?

Just the frequency of barbarian spawns from camps. Arguably this disadvantages Germany a bit, because it has to fight through a larger number of barbs to clear camps for the bonus.

hi

I ask why civ 5 does have separate exe nulike vic 4 has vanilla, warlord, bts? it only have 1 exe and after you have install g and k , bnw having trouble loading mods, scenarios

hi

I ask why civ 5 does have separate exe nulike vic 4 has vanilla, warlord, bts? it only have 1 exe and after you have install g and k , bnw having trouble loading mods, scenarios

Every expansion release also changed many things in a patch for Vanilla Civ 5, so they decided to keep things as one exe this time. Mods have to be updated by their authors to generally be compatible with the newest version or they may not work properly. All of the official scenarios should work fine though, or at least they did for me. Some of their game play will change somewhat with the newer rules however.

In-game I always see the Civs ranked by their military strength (pointiest stick list). How do they come up with those numbers? Is it the sum of the attack values for all units or is it a complicated equation? I ask because I want to extrapolate my enemy's army based on my army compared to my Pointiest Stick value.

Does the Drill promotion (+20% Combat Strength when fighting in ROUGH terrains), provides a bonus when I attack an enemy positioned in a rough terrain... or is it only a defensive promotion?

EDIT: nevermind... I've the answer now: the bonus works for both defensive and offensive situations.

Can someone give me a link to a desktop that will allow me to play civ 5. My budget is $400 USD. Is there a way I can build one for less than 400? I'm new to building computers and obviously civilization.

Hello Folks,

The family plays MP and we want to play Korea. Do we all need to buy the Korea DLC or does just the game host?

Regards,

Marc

I'm playing my first game of G&K and trying to get to grips with religion - I've read Browd's excellent guide although it may not have all sunk in yet.

I'm mostly relying on passive spread through pressure (as I'm spending my faith on monasteries in cities with multiple wine/incense). It occurred to me that maybe I should keep the population down so that my cities adopted the religion sooner.

I had a city at population 3 with 1 follower which was ready to grow. I prevented it from growing on the basis that at pop 4 it would need 3 followers before adopting the religion, rather than 2 at it's current size. Several turns passed without success, and in the end I decided I couldn't hold back growth any longer. As soon as I let it grow, the new citizen was a follower. I believe (although I'm not absolutely certain) the same thing happened when it grew to size 5, giving 3 followers and my religion was adopted.

It may just be coincidence, but I'm wondering if my strategy of keeping the pop down was the exact opposite of what I should have been doing. :lol:

So... How does religious pressure affect what happens to the new guy when a city grows? And, how can I estimate when pressure will result in a conversion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm playing my first game of G&K and trying to get to grips with religion - I've read Browd's excellent guide although it may not have all sunk in yet.

Browd's guide series is great, please be encouraged to comment on one of the attached threads. You ask a good question, and others could benefit from a discussion, but it will get lost on this thread.

I'm mostly relying on passive spread through pressure (as I'm spending my faith on monasteries in cities with multiple wine/incense).

Monasteries are very good if a city has even a single wine or incense, but go ahead and buy them in all your cites. What did you pick as an enhancer?

It may just be coincidence, but I'm wondering if my strategy of keeping the pop down was the exact opposite of what I should have been doing.

Exactly. Passive religious pressure mostly only effects new citizens. I think it will only covert citizens with no faith, and not convert citizens that already have your pantheon.

And, how can I estimate when pressure will result in a conversion?

There may be some random element, but I think that if there is not a competing religion, every new citizen will have your religion. Once the new citizens (with your new religion) make up half the population, then the city converts. Worse case: city has to double in size from after your religion was founded.

My current game I founded outside of my capital. I was surprised how long the capital took to covert. Your question made me realize why that was the case!

Monasteries are very good if a city has even a single wine or incense, but go ahead and buy them in all your cites. What did you pick as an enhancer?

Good to know thanks. It's a water map with many small islands (random map) and my cities are more spread out than usual, so I picked Itinerant Preachers.

Exactly. Passive religious pressure mostly only effects new citizens. I think it will only covert citizens with no faith, and not convert citizens that already have your pantheon.

Hadn't even considered the possibility of the pantheon (Goddess of Festivals) being in competition with my full religion. Although... (I'll have to check later) I don't think the city I mentioned even had the pantheon, if that's possible. The city was founded after the religion was founded.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Can someone give me a link to Browds Guide Series (I know I am an idiot), but I can't seem to find it??

ALSO,

I have played enough games that I can make assumptions, BUT are RUINS COMPLETELY RANDOM? (Besides adding :c5faith: possibility after turn 20)

I have played several games with the exact same conditions, and certain games just refuse to give me a upgrade to my (Non upgraded) unit.

Do your chances for diversity improve once you have been granted one of the possibilites? (Like when your playing as Shoshone, and your choices are limited from the selection menu)

If this is true,...then why can I grab 12 ruins, and NOT GET ONE UPGRADE? (The AI seems to have NO PROBLEM notifying me of "Barbarian Emcampments" every 3 RUINS)

Can someone direct me to someplace that has this information, or give a fairly detailed explanation....I am so sick of ReRolling,...THANK YOU. :)

Top Bottom