End of Empires - N3S III

Yes I see that I just need more time thinking about it before acting.

Actually according to wiki the Romans fought with composite bows long before they had house archers. Also the hunter was almost killed due to poor weapon design so I would say that has been explained and I expect your points but when I say invent I mean look at whatever problems the army is facing and try to get round them. I will only use these weapons if NK approves and these are just a few note I said start . Training makes an army and disciple, having better weapons just helps. Also according to wiki all these weapons were 'ancient' weapons which I gather means Classical era and before also we are at the dawn of the iron age so thats not a problem. So what technologies do I lack Kal'thzar? (read the wiki articles or at least some of them before replying) Also note I said based. Also note I am not going to use composite bows at the moment.

The Romans adopted them from the Scythians (being the most common style of Composite bow), but the origins of the composite bow from what i can tell are Steppe people, and it is with them where the major advantage lies, Composite bows offer no advantage over self-bows (longbows etc) for an infantry unit in terms of Force behind the arrow.

The major problem in this time is as ever communication and centralisation. Rome was an incredibly centralised state, does that fit the description of your nation? The main technological advances are in crafting the bow, it takes centuries to turn them into the efficient killing weapon (regards to the longbow) and it requires a huge investment in time and money. Lonbows have been around for a long time, but the skills needed to put every extra unit of force out of the bow takes time to figure out and create without destroying the bow or making it impossible to draw. From what i understand Longbows as a major weapon started with the Welsh and was rapidly copied by the English, sure it was around in the ancient era but it wasn't as developed, and such weapons as slings were actually more efficient at killing people (rock thrown) for a long period of time, as well as javalins etc.

i.e.

As a weapon, the sling had several clear advantages. In general, a sling bullet lobbed in a high trajectory can achieve ranges approaching 600m[6] — significantly farther than what could be achieved by bows in any period, including the famed longbow. Arrows were typically loosed along relatively flat trajectories that seldom managed to send them beyond 100 meters. The current Guinness World Record distance of an object thrown with a sling stands at 477.0 m, set by David Engvall in 1992 using a metal dart. Larry Bray held the previous world record (1982), in which a 52 g stone was thrown 437.1 m. Modern authorities vary widely in their estimates of the effective range of ancient weapons and of course bows and arrows could also have been used to produce a long-range arcing trajectory, but ancient writers repeatedly stress the sling's advantage of range. The sling was light to carry and cheap to produce; ammunition in the form of stones was readily available and often to be found near the site of battle.

Bows took a while to dominate the battlefield.

Vertinari, try not to go overboard with inventing weapons. You can't just make all these advanced weapons because I guy got attacked by a bear. think about how your soldiers fight, think of a feasible way to make them fight better (tactic or weapon), and then make sure you give the tactic or weapon time to spread.

I'll send you a little idea for a new kind of troop via pm to tell you what I mean.

Swords are actually rather rare in the first place (it's still the Bronze Age); a hunter wouldn't have one. Longbows and composite bows are also rather advanced at this point.

Story bonuses will be adjusted for effort, obviously.

EDIT: Stats may not come tonight; I seem to have hurt my hand. Fortunately, not the drawing hand, so maps will be done.

@Abaddon

It will require Neverwonagame3 approval as well, but from what we have talked about we are interested in staying peaceful and im guessing trade is allready setup.

North King, in the update you said that howdahs weren't invented yet but you mentioned them anyway. Did you mean that they weren't made until sometime after the battle, or do I still need to develop them?

North King, in the update you said that howdahs weren't invented yet but you mentioned them anyway. Did you mean that they weren't made until sometime after the battle, or do I still need to develop them?

They were made sometime after the battle. Well, a primitive sort of howdah. Nothing too fancy.

They were made sometime after the battle. Well, a primitive sort of howdah. Nothing too fancy.
But if they weren't invented yet, how could you know to mention that fact? :mischief:

Seshweay made them first of course... to ride Crocodiles

Okay, here's the deal:

I will be editing the new maps in in roughly ten minutes; look for them on the front page or the update. Stats will have to come tomorrow, with my finger unlikely to heal much before then.

I'm going out of town this weekend. Therefore, if people could somehow get orders in before Thursday afternoon, there is a chance -- albeit a slim one -- that I could get an update in before I leave. This may be impossible entirely; the backup scheduled day for the update is the day I get back, June 12th, or a week after the first window.

Given the scope of the last update and this update, it may be good for both players and mod to keep it at a slow tempo for now, but given the fact that they are both quite uninvolved updates, it may be good for momentum to keep this quick-paced.

Whatever works; I'll let the players decide.

EDIT: I am going to use my injury as an excuse for laziness: if my players could get to me one paragraph summaries of relevant cultures for the reference section, that would be wonderful. Yes, one paragraph is extremely short, but these need to be readable.

Go invade Bahri... Crocodiles from experience quite like to eat horses and we all know Satarai are just horses masquerading as men ;)

The Empire of Sesh will push for Thursday orders.

EDIT: I am going to use my injury as an excuse for laziness: if my players could get to me one paragraph summaries of relevant cultures for the reference section, that would be wonderful. Yes, one paragraph is extremely short, but these need to be readable.

Uggorian culture: Uggorian people believe that familiy is the most important thing in life. Many Uggorians believe that the world was once ruled by a single family. Uggorian families generally focus on one aspect of life such as agriculture or military. Once dead, Uggorians are said to guide their desendants as ghost-like entities. Some dead Uggorians are highly honored and almost treated like gods by some families.

Culture of Farou: The Faroun believe in family, community and liberty- to the point where their own name for themselves roughly translates as 'The Free'. Thus, Farou has a long history of anti-authoritarian sentiments, many of which have escalated to war. Spiritually, the Faroun believe in two sets of spirits- one ruling earth, from hiding-places in high mountain eyries, and the other ruling the sea, from deep-ocean grottoes. These creatures have unknowable motives, but must be treated with respect, lest they withdraw their gifts from our grasp.

I have decided to quit this Nes. I sent a PM to North King. Sorry Ninja Dude. I will delete all my posts. Goodbye. I will start my own Nes in a bit, expect a Pre-Nes full of ideas this weekend, I would be really grateful if some of you could drop by and say what you think or offer any advise. WARNING I will make the Neses as realistic as I can but they are NOT to do with Earth so history buffs learn to keep your mouths shut or don't join. If something has a reason for it in my Nes, whichever one I chose, it does not MATTER weather I would not or could not happen on Earth it is still valid!

If you want my honest response, it's that:

a) This shouldn't be here.
b) Most people like to get at least a little more experience before modding.
c) With a few exceptions, most 'new' mods tend to crash and burn spectacularly, so you should think carefully about the time commitment before starting.

There was no beginning.

The world existed, perfect and unchanging, under the benevolence of the One God, neither creator nor master but guide. All creation existed in peace and harmony with itself, and the stasis was total and complete. Yet in that unchanging world something Happened, and the world fell. Darkness crept into creation, and though the One God could not detect its source, of its presence he was aware, and afraid for those he guided.

And in that time, for then the stasis was ended and time might be said to have begun, there passed a long and slow twilight. The world dimmed; one by one, each pinpoint of the sky went dark. The hearts of men faltered and fell into ruin. Man turrned upon his brother, and in the darkness was born sin and all the evil deeds of man, hidden from the sight of others who might have cast upon it shame. The twilight grew deeper.

And when it seemed that all light might fail, and every speck of the once-bejeweled sky extinguished, the One God came among men. Men had not before had dealings with God, and many cowered and were afraid. Others hid in the darkness, resenting his power and coveting it for their own, and still others, ashamed of their misdeeds but not repentant fled his passing. Only a few men would listen to what the One God would say, and to them he spoke powerfully and overwhelmingly.

To save the world from eternal darkness, men cherish their own goodness and salvage their internal light. For the light of man was tied to the light of the world in a way not even the One God understood, for he was not the creator nor the destroyer but only a being of creation. And the darkness and the fall of men fed upon each other, and had sped creation to its doom. Only men could stop it.

Though perfection could not yet be achieved, the world was saved. Some specks of light remained in heaven, and the One God gathered the fallen stars and made from them new lights that would bathe the world, and these he set before the sky and above the world. Men gathered together their strength and fought the darkness, and some remained virtuous and strong though many had fallen, and some who had fallen rekindled their flame. And so the world is today, and we keep the balance that the world might one day achieve perfection once again.

Top Bottom