Dayton's Diaries

civplayah

phantasm
OOC: others can write and contribute to the story.

Chapter 1

Dayton could hear Omecka's laughs across the hallway. He loved hearing his child's giggles. The only thing he loved more than her was magecasting. He looked back on when he could magecast, but when he did, he was overcome with sadness. He got his powers taken away because he got falsely accused of using them to hurt his wife, Maryion, who was also a magecaster. The only thing different between Dayton and Maryion was how much they liked magic. Dayton loved Magecasting, and entertained himself by magecasting. Maryion found no use for magic and thought it was a bore.
"Daddy!!!" Omecka screamed. Cheeses and Maryion followed her cries.
"What-" Maryion started to say. All three of them stood staring at the window. Well, no. Not staring. Open-mouthed, wide-eyed gaping.
"Mt. Apollo!" Cheeses yelled! Smoke started to fill the room. They all ran out of the house. But as a mother and wife, Maryion felt the urge to collect all of the family's jewelry and their safety deposit box just in case they needed to pawn them for money.

Dayton and Omecka boarded a ship, awaiting their fate. Maryion, however was lost in the smoke, and never seen again.

Chapter 2

Bob grew suspicious of the weird neighbors activities. He called the authorities.

Just then Josephine kicked Bob square in the pants, yelling "Never mind the authorities, you sponge! Call my agent! I'm getting crucified here..."

Raku climbed the pile of rocks. He was thirteen years and a tall, skinny boy. He had covered his face - including the eyes - with clothes. He looked down from the pile of rocks. There were atleast ten feet to the surface of the lava, still the heat almost boiled him. The toxic fumes dazed him. He looked after his mother and saw her at the roof of their house.
She's never going to make it, he thought. His mother was limb, and their house was made of wood. The roof was barely three feet above the lava, and Raku could see the boils on his mothers skin. She would surely perish to the heat.
He suddenly noticed he had tears in his eyes. He had always been fond of his mother. His father, on the other hand, was a rough and careless man. Raku was glad to discover later that the man had not survived.

"Mother!" He yelled through his improvised mask of clothes as the flames and smokes started to encircle her. "Mother!"

He heard her scream in agony, yet he could not help her. If he moved, the lava and smoke would surely kill him. So he sat still, unable to remove his eyes from where he knew his mother was sitting, inside the bonfire that had until lately been their roof.

Two days later, the eruption had stopped and the lava had run to lower areas and lost its imbearable heat. Shizoru walked the city streets, finding only ruins and ashes. He coughed several times and along with spit, he coughed up ashes. He knew it was a bad sign, but he guessed he would survive.

Suddenly he stopped. On the street in front of him lay a boy, unconscious. He had boils on his arms, but looked like he was alive. Yes, he was definately breathing. Shizoru noticed the clothy mask the boy wore still. Then he noticed something that broke his heart.

Clenched in Rakus right hand was a soddy and burnt hand, with a piece of the arm still hanging on to. The skin was burnt almost to the bone. Shizoru shaked the boy until he regained consciousness. Rakus voice was dry and he coughed several times before it would obey him. He said: "My mothers' dead."
He let go of her burnt hand and started to cry. Since he was lacking water, his tears were few but heavy and salty, and his skin heaved underneath them, eager to absorb the liquid.

Shizoru talked to the boy:
"Listen, we need to find some water in order to survive - do you know the local terrain?"

Raku nodded with tears in his eyes, his mask now removed, and started to walk. Shizoru quickly followed the boy out of the small village...

Zekk walked down the dirt path to find somewhere to refil his waterskin. His map notified that there was a small village up ahead. Zekk then began to jog as he neared a clearing. When he came out of the clearing he expected to see a small village. What he saw was ruined hell. There was molten rock everywhere, almost no building still standing. Zekk looked around to find any survivors, findng no one untill he appproached the last building standing. He went upstairs to find two small boys curled up in the corner. He picked them up hoisting each one up on a shoulderand then left the building before it collapsed above him. He turned the boys over, to see their faces. They were identical twin, save one thing. They each had a strange symbol on their heads. One boy had a curved moon, while the other had a strange X shape. After examining it more closly, he reconised the symbol. It was identical to the symbol on Zekk's grandfather's bleached white sword. He Carried the boys out of the village down the path to Kassite, where his grandfauther lived.

His grandfather, is Vandal the Rebel.

Dayton, being the chief of the "ruined hell" would not board a ship with just his daughter. So he stayed in the village, if you could call it a village. Maryion, on the other hand had not died. She accidentally tripped onto a ship, and she tried to sail it. Maryion knew how to sail a boat, just not well. Her poor navigation skills led her directly around the island, where she fell out of the boat and questioned herself, "Am I going to survive?" Dayton, on the other hand, was still on the inhabited part of the island. There was a bunch of commotion that was stirred by Raku, Zekk, Shizoru, and the other villagers. Dayton knew Vandal the Rebel. At first, they had been good friends. But then Vandal thought that he would be a better chief than Dayton. That problem was resolved. Then Vandal thought that a messy hut was a happy hut, so he vandalized every hut in the village. After three long months of putting up with Vandal's ways, the village put him on a boat, and he sailed away. He ended up on another part of the island. Maryion was curious about the "bush man", as she called him, or maybe it. There was something rummaging through the bushes.
"It's not a crime to show your face," Maryion said.
"Nothing's a crime to me," the Rebel responded, then he came out. Maryion recognized him at once! He would mess up the "religion" she was trying to start! Her religion was, as she called it, "a way of not focusing on people, but other life." The point of it was to help her forget her old life, and focus on where she was now.
"I'm here to help, I want to help you build your village, and spend my life with you."
"I'm married, and don't think I don't know who you are, but I do need someone to help me build my village."
So they built as much as their arms and legs could handle until they finally had two chief-sized huts. (They made them cheif-sized because they had no one to stop them.)

Back at the village, Dayton looked upon the ash and debris and said finally, "We must migrate. We will find a new place to live, because we can surely not live here." They migrated, but it didn't take them long to find two chief's huts and no other villager's huts. There were two people around.

Raku drank greedily from the small spring. His stunning sadness had turned into more of a background annoyance, and Shizoru had taught him many things and would teach him even more. Shizoru was a great warrior in the eyes of Raku. In his own eyes he was an old man trying to help a deserted child.

Raku looked up at the man, water running down his chest.
"When I am as tall and strong as you are now, I will hunt down the gods responsible for this disaster and slay them!" He stated to Shizoru. The man was stunned at the power in the boys trembling voice. He meant it. This was not a childhood fantasy, for Raku was no longer a child. In the age of thirteen, he had lost both of his parents as well as his home...

Zekk continued to trek down the road for two days, taking small breaks, and forcing Water down the boys' throats. Finally, he stopped to take a long, rest. Then the boy with the moon scar awoke. Zekk looked at him for a good long time before the boy spoke.

"Whe-where am e-e-I?"He asked.
"Somewhere between your village and Kassite."Zekk responded sharpening his daggar.
"You have been sleeping for two days...."

There was no security in the village, and if you saw someone in danger, you shouldn't walk up to them, because in the village custom, it was improper. So when Zekk was planning the boys' assassination, everyone minded their own business. Dayton was the only one who could stop it, and he was examining the huts. He observed that they were made a day ago, the inhabitants were still alive, and they were made in a certain architecture. Where had he seen it before? From the village? Maybe. He'll have to find the owners.
"Right now we need to make our own huts, and hopefully we won't rival the chieftan and chieftess." Dayton started to work, although no one else had listened. No one else was working. Was Dayton fit to be the chief? He sure was the eldest. Maybe Shizoru should hold the title of chief. What was Dayton thinking? He is the chief, and when he dies... Well, he has no kids, so maybe his nephew? By now Maryion and Vandal had returned to their huts. Dayton was staring into space, so they talked to Shizoru, the second eldest.
"How did you get here?"
"We migrated from our old village, we couldn't live in all the lava. How did you get here?"
"I found a boat, and sailed over here. I hope Dayton is alright..."

The last days Shizoru had only seen Raku in the early mornings and late evenings. The boy had ran around the jungle close to where they had settled down, and he had grown a lot in a very short time. But he had no one of his own age to speak of, and he enclosed himself from the others, living in his world. When the boy came home, sometimes several hours after sundown, Shizoru had heard him talk of strange beasts and plants that could catch and kill animals. Shizoru guessed, correctly, that most of this was a product of the boys imagination. He was taking revenge upon the gods and their fell minions in his own fantasy.

What impressed Shizoru was how throughout the boy seemed to believe what he was doing. He had seen Raku wielding a self-made spear several times already, and not only was the boy a decent fighter, he was also an impressive weaponcrafter.

A shame we do not have any blacksmithies around. That boy would make a fine crafter of finer weapons and armor, Shizoru thought. Then he remembered his small bronze knife, which he always carried hidden in his clothes. He decided that he would give Raku it once the boy reached his sixteenth year.

(...)

Shizoru was sitting outside, the sun was setting, and he was cooking fish for himself and Raku. The boy had been out in the woods for the entire day now. Shizoru was not worried, there was nothing in the jungly woods that the boy could not handle. last week Raku had slain a panther by himself - a whelp, but Shizoru had overlooked the feat with great awe. He was sure that the boy would be able to tackle a full grown up Panther, and luckily there were only a very few poisonious snakes in the entire jungle.

Shizoru ate his own fish while it was still hot. He then went to bed.

He woke up at sunrise. He looked around, Raku was nowhere to be found. He looked outside. The fish, hidden from animals under a small hide, was still there.

Shizoru began to become nerveous. Had the boy left for good? Had he crossed a pack of predators? Wild barbarians? Shizoru quickly dressed himself and grabbed a couple of the spears Raku had left at home, and started towards the jungle.

However, before he had reached the trees, he saw a figure in there. It was the right size to be Raku, but its shoulders were too wide - this could not be Raku, could it?

Shizoru noticed the spears in the figures right hand. He decided to walk back to the house and await the boy.

(...)

Raku walked out of the jungle and into the fresh air. He was tired. He had not slept the entire night, but it had been worth it. He was almost fifteen years, and he fealt that he would soon be ready.
On his hands were his newly stiched pantherskin gloves, and covering both his shoulders and half his torso was a armor he had crafted himself. It was the skin of a panther - a full grown one he had slain the day before - reinforced with small scaled of bark across the torso, and from the left shoulder, the feathers of an eagle swayed majestically.

He smiled tiredly at Shizoru, but did not apologize. He went over to the small table and ate the fish.

Shizoru was looking at him. For the first, but certainly not the last time, he realized that he was afraid of what had merely a year ago been a small, panicked and coughing boy.

Dayton knew Vandal the Rebel. At first, they had been good friends. But then Vandal thought that he would be a better chief than Dayton. That problem was resolved. Then Vandal thought that a messy hut was a happy hut, so he vandalized every hut in the village. After three long months of putting up with Vandal's ways, the village put him on a boat, and he sailed away..

civplayah said:
So when Zekk was planning the boys assassination....

OCC: Please Civplayah, in the future can you PM me if you want to RP with my characters. Thanks

Zekk had now traveled to Kassite, as fast as he could with a little boy on his back and a little boy holding his hand. When they entered the city they found Vandal's Faction HQ. They ran inside to find Vandal. They ran up a flight of stairs and down a hall to find his office. Zekk stopped at the office door to open it but he stopped when he heard voices.

"Prince Vandal the Rebel, I have some very disturbing news for you."
"What is it?"Vandal Responded.
"The Arete military has successfully captured Madrid."
"And?"
"Your son was at the palace when we attacked, and he was killed."

Zekk's heart sank. His uncle Cedric was dead. He then shed a tear in waiting for a response from Vandal.

"Andro."Vandal said.
"Yes?"
"Bring me every soldier who participated in that raid."Vandal was calm. When he spoke with a slight cracking in his voice.
"Of course."
Vandal responded now firmly. "I will personally execute the one who killed my son."

Top Bottom