The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get compensation for gas?

And I really see no negatives to this: it pays more, it's with a friend, and it's driving, the easiest job in the world.

Gas is compensated yes. My friend will be at the warehouse (in lovely Newark) but that's where I'll be in between deliveries. I'm mostly concerned with my noobishness in city driving with a van however.

Gas is compensated yes. My friend will be at the warehouse (in lovely Newark) but that's where I'll be in between deliveries. I'm mostly concerned with my noobishness in city driving with a van however.

I mean, it will be difficult at first, but I feel like New York is very well organized and allows somewhat easy navigation by numbered streets.

I've said it before. You have to volunteer. Work 40 hours a week at something. You need a little cash, get whatever useless part time job you can get. And then volunteer with something that can make you some contacts and some experience.

You can't sit here on the computer and expect it to come to you.
Volunteering is not an option, I need a source of income. Not continuing to lose money while working for free. Also, getting a useless part time job is irrelevant if those jobs DON'T CONTACT ME BACK when I GAVE THEM MY FINISHED APPLICATION AND RESUME! Besides the point, I'm already back in school getting another degree.

CG, are you supporting yourself atm or are you with parents or friends?

CG, are you supporting yourself atm or are you with parents or friends?
As much as I hate to admit, I'm still living with my parents :(. I was hoping to move out and have a place to call my own by this point in my life (and perhaps eather dating or have a girlfriend). but the economy and my previous employer screwed me over and laid me off.

Volunteering is not an option, I need a source of income. Not continuing to lose money while working for free. Also, getting a useless part time job is irrelevant if those jobs DON'T CONTACT ME BACK when I GAVE THEM MY FINISHED APPLICATION AND RESUME! Besides the point, I'm already back in school getting another degree.

I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to work 60 hours a week to get it done. There are no shortcuts. And no one can fix that for you.

As much as I hate to admit, I'm still living with my parents :(. I was hoping to move out and have a place to call my own by this point in my life (and perhaps eather dating or have a girlfriend). but the economy and my previous employer screwed me over and laid me off.

It's not a biggie. Loads of adults do it in Europe.
I'd just follow Cutlass's advice, I have no experiance in this at all.

If you are currently living with your parents, then you shouldn't have to worry about income short-term. I don't mean to sound crass or anything like that, but I'm sure your parents would prefer you to have no income while you are volunteering and getting connections instead of you having no income and not volunteering.

CG, please listen to Cutlass.

Can the President legally issue an executive order to raise the debt ceiling? Or is he limited with executive orders to military concerns?

One would imagine that you're about to find out.

I just want an easy shortcut out of this unemployment hellhole that I'm in for almost two years now. It should be painfully obvious that the solution is to get hired, yet not even McDonnalds won't hire me.

Should I just omit my college degrees from the job applications and state that I am currently in college? I'm almost to the point of just marching to the manager's office and demanding to give me a job :(.

Can the President legally issue an executive order to raise the debt ceiling? Or is he limited with executive orders to military concerns?

I think we may just find that out in a couple of weeks. The Constitution is clear that only Congress can raise money and decide how it is spent.

However, the 14th Amendment states:

4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

and some people take that to mean that the government is forbidden to refuse to pay its debts. So, in theory, and in a very dangerous political move, Obama could say that the debt limit law is unconstitutional and just ignore it if it isn't raised. But that would end up in the courts so fast it would make heads spin. And I don't know how the courts would rule.

At least 4 members of the Supreme Court, and often a fifth, have frequently demonstrated that they don't give a flying fig what the Constitution says. And since they are allied with the Republicans, they would probably use that as a political tool in the Republican's favor.

I just want an easy shortcut out of this unemployment hellhole that I'm in for almost two years now. It should be painfully obvious that the solution is to get hired, yet not even McDonnalds won't hire me.

Should I just omit my college degrees from the job applications and state that I am currently in college? I'm almost to the point of just marching to the manager's office and demanding to give me a job :(.

My 2 cents . I've done a bit of time in recruitment and my Dad has over 30 years . My knowledge is more based around full time work so not all this may apply .

I think the first thing is to recognize what " giving %100 effort" truly means in regards to looking for work . Realistically a day spent looking should resemble a day spent working . If you ain't showered , shaved, "coffeed up" and dressed ready to rock by 8.30am you are not off to a good start . You would be amazed how many jobs you can apply for and how many recruitment agencies you can contact in 4 solid hours .

But all day at home applying on line won't cut it either . "Marching into the managers office and demanding a job" is less silly than it seems . Dress the part , take your resume , turn off the computer and take the word of your awesomeness to the streets man . Knock on doors ! They can't hurt you ! You would be surprised how lame your competition is and how far a little initiative can go .

But saying " I've tried so hard and no one calls back " when a days job hunting consists of sending off a single resume then hitting CFC by 9.00am is taking the piss ( this is a hypothetical , obviously I don't know your routine) .

My Dad can tailor a brilliant resume and if you e-mail me yours it would be a pleasure to send it to him for some fine tuning .

Often you have to call them back. A little tactful pestering can be good, but don't take it too far.

If there's some employment programs where you live, I'd try them. Working for no salary may be necessary to prove that you're willing to have a job.

I'm likely going to an Antiochene Christian mass tomorrow morning before going to their open house sort of thing (church tours and middle eastern food). The mass isn't part of the open house, so I don't think they will have any primers on how to behave during the mass. Any things I should keep in mind while attending and courtesies I should extend beyond the usual?

I'm likely going to an Antiochene Christian mass tomorrow morning before going to their open house sort of thing (church tours and middle eastern food). The mass isn't part of the open house, so I don't think they will have any primers on how to behave during the mass. Any things I should keep in mind while attending and courtesies I should extend beyond the usual?

You'll spend the vast majority of the time standing up. If you're not use to the scent of incense, take a Zyrtec. This should be helpful as well.

Thanks. However my plans changed, I'm going to a Catholic mass in latin instead. Should be just as interesting.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but we didn't lose the Empire!:p
In all seriousness, I like learning about the early middle ages and this will likely be the closest I come to what a Catholic mass would be like from that time unless I go to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom