Do we want a third expansion and/or more DLC for Civ 5?

Do we want to see more expansions/DLCs for Civ 5?

• Total voters

kwidem

Warlord
So, Ed Beach has said that he has more ideas for Civ 5's gameplay.
Do you want to see them?

Personally, I would LOVE to see the interesting features that could be featured in a future expansion pack, not to mention the possible new Civs (Sumer, the Khmer, Belgium, Hungary, Kieven Rus', the Sioux, etc.). But would the community prefer to see a couple of Civ DLCs?
Please post opinions, thoughts on what he might have in mind, etc., below! :crazyeye:

YES, I would LOVE to see another expansion. Why not make this a poll?

Things I would like to see addressed in a future expansion would be:
- Corporations and overall attention on resource system
- Diplomatic options expanded and casus belli system for war
- Fleshed out Espionage system
- Vassalage
- A reboot of Scientific Victory?

Plus of course new civs and some adjustments to the tech tree and unit balance.

There's a big difference between whether we think they will come and whether we want them to come. Imo. this thread is much more interesting than the other one, because that one is just about what we guess.

YES, I would LOVE to see another expansion. Why not make this a poll?

Things I would like to see addressed in a future expansion would be:
- Corporations and overall attention on resource system
- Diplomatic options expanded and casus belli system for war
- Fleshed out Espionage system
- Vassalage
- A reboot of Scientific Victory?

Plus of course new civs and some adjustments to the tech tree and unit balance.

There is a poll. :p

Personally, multiple leaders for Civs would be cool. So each Civ has a UA, and each leader has a UA.

I too want SMAC2, but that will never happen with the current split of rights.:(

But I'd love to see them start on Civ6 now.

But I'd love to see them start on Civ6 now.

Why? All that will mean is another stripped down slightly different interpretation with the same starting civs. We'll have reduced variety in our civ choices after this long and drawn out effort to get a good mix and some rare diversity added to the game. And we'll likely have features stripped out again, only to be later expanded.

I want them to start on civ 6 but keep a good portion of the dev team working on more content for 5. I would happily keep buying content for civ v till my head is numb and my hands fall off. But i will be really disappointed if they come out with a new game with less features and variety than BNW civ v. A new game has got to show progress from the previous title. I know that's a tough ask, but any less and it will feel like this franchise is turning into another "Call of Duty-like" rinse and repeat franchise selling the same game over and over.

I think it's well over time to start fresh. Civ5 is a good game, but it has many flaws hard to fix for the devs, with the current engine etc. A fresh start means a new chance to make the game better in terms of moddability, MP etc.:)

Considering the changes made between Civ instalments, I doubt that going to happen on a scale like CoD, but yes - I've been pleased with what they've been doing with Civ 5 so far, slowly but surely nailing the game. If they keep up the good work with patches and fixes to iron out the multiplayer issues and tweak the single-player, I'd rather have that than starting all over with a new game.

Why? All that will mean is another stripped down slightly different interpretation with the same starting civs. We'll have reduced variety in our civ choices after this long and drawn out effort to get a good mix and some rare diversity added to the game. And we'll likely have features stripped out again, only to be later expanded.
Exactly my thoughts also. We know for almost certain that when they start working on CiVI they will not be able to add all game content elements at once. This will mean we will go back to fewer civs and fewer game elements - for a LONG while. Just consider how long it has taken to bring CiV up to the level where we can say it has (roughly) the same amount of content as CIV.

And for what? Better graphics? - probably, but I don't feel CiV graphics feel dated yet. Better game balance? - possibly. Better AI? - one could hope, and it might even make it worth the jump, but it's no guarantee. So I don't see the big reason to rush into CiVI yet.

I know some people are anxious to move on from CiV because they want to get rid of some core game elements that it brought to the game (1UPT I guess is the big issue for most objectors) but personally, I'm not one of those, and the issues I have with CiV are no bigger than that they can be fixed through patches and expansions rather than having to restart all over again with a new chapter of the game.

I doubt we'll see another expansion. Maybe some DLC.

I guess an Alpha Centauri spin-off using Civ 5's engine (like Civ 4: Colonization) might be the best thing until we get Civ 6... which will take years to come.

Each Civ game needs entirely new mechanics and features, otherwise it just becomes another Madden or MLB/NBA sports game where you only get updated graphics every few years. And yeah, I'd rather they not milk us again for BS features that we all know should have been in the game to begin with. I won't be buying Civ VI if things like religion or espionage is omitted from the getgo.

SMAC2 can't be done due to rights issues I'm afraid.

The developers said that there were certain things they couldn't do because of the current game engine in use for Civ V. That alone is enough for me to say: start working on Civ VI. Who knows what new innovations and improvements they could make with an entirely new game.

For Civ V I'd like to see more DLC. Civilizations, Wonders, stuff like that. I'm not against a new expansion, but only if it truly adds a lot, like the past two expansion have.

Civ 6 can wait a few more years. I'd like to see them continue adding more Civs via DLC. A Great Works DLC is also something they could do.

Civ V is where I think the DLC model has worked really well, each DLC really adds something to the game and having spent hundreds of hours playing the game I've certainly got my money's worth.

My honest opinion is I would love Civ 6 straight away, but ONLY if they cut the BS rinse and resell, and include religion, espionage, and trade from the get go.

I'd rather have more of what is, in my opinion, a fantastic game, than start off from scratch again. There's so much more that could potentially be done and they have a huge fan base, who I'm certain would buy more. Some ideas I've had include:

01. Resource-specific factories - replace the factory in their city (therefore each city can only have one of these); require the resource to be imported from elsewhere; only one of each type in the world (e.g. one rum factory, reliant on sugar being imported); in addition to the factory's production output, has a gold output, which is halted if the trade route bringing in the resource is compromised.

02. Just an idea to throw out there, but how about getting an advance that comes from an event that happens in the game? Something like "Military Tradition" could be researched in the normal way, but also could automatically be given to a civ based on a certain number of military victories, an earlier tech being researched and a bit of randomness thrown in for good measure. Guilds, similarly might be discovered after using a certain number of Great Merchants.

03. A mechanism (for modders) that does the following: upon creation of a mod for BNW, works out what content the individual user has, allowing them to play it within the confines of what they have. What I mean here is that if I create an Ancient world mod, and choose to have Babylon and Carthage in it, then players without the Babylon DLC and G&K will still be able to play it - but those two civs won't be in the game for them.

04. A "deluxe" version of the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, with Assyria included and full civs made of Sumer and the Hittites.

05. A "Colonization" based scenario, or Deluxe version of the New World scenario in the Spain/Inca DLC, with an extra civ that takes advantage of the trait they were developing for the Pueblo.

06. One civ I'd love them to do (but don't expect them to do it!!) is Illyria with Queen Teuta as the leader. The Illyrians were the pirates of the ancient world and I'd love them to use their Lembi (ships) to interrupt and plunder those trade routes.

I'd rather have more of what is, in my opinion, a fantastic game, than start off from scratch again. There's so much more that could potentially be done and they have a huge fan base, who I'm certain would buy more. Some ideas I've had include:

01. Resource-specific factories - replace the factory in their city (therefore each city can only have one of these); require the resource to be imported from elsewhere; only one of each type in the world (e.g. one rum factory, reliant on sugar being imported); in addition to the factory's production output, has a gold output, which is halted if the trade route bringing in the resource is compromised.

02. Just an idea to throw out there, but how about getting an advance that comes from an event that happens in the game? Something like "Military Tradition" could be researched in the normal way, but also could automatically be given to a civ based on a certain number of military victories, an earlier tech being researched and a bit of randomness thrown in for good measure. Guilds, similarly might be discovered after using a certain number of Great Merchants.

03. A mechanism (for modders) that does the following: upon creation of a mod for BNW, works out what content the individual user has, allowing them to play it within the confines of what they have. What I mean here is that if I create an Ancient world mod, and choose to have Babylon and Carthage in it, then players without the Babylon DLC and G&K will still be able to play it - but those two civs won't be in the game for them.

04. A "deluxe" version of the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, with Assyria included and full civs made of Sumer and the Hittites.

05. A "Colonization" based scenario, or Deluxe version of the New World scenario in the Spain/Inca DLC, with an extra civ that takes advantage of the trait they were developing for the Pueblo.

06. One civ I'd love them to do (but don't expect them to do it!!) is Illyria with Queen Teuta as the leader. The Illyrians were the pirates of the ancient world and I'd love them to use their Lembi (ships) to interrupt and plunder those trade routes.
This. Illyria is a Civ that I have wanted since Civ IV. Also, with regards to 5, Deluxe conquest of the new world is in BNW.

Top Bottom