Victory quicker on higher difficulties?

JustinianIV

Warlord
I originally posted this question in the quick questions thread, but no response.

I've been playing on Emperor and my two best times by far were 299 turns Diplo with Siam, and a 316 Science with Celts. With that last one I got lucky and was the first to find one of the game-breaking Natural Wonders which gave me 500 gold.

I play on Pangea standard.

I feel like SVs might be quicker since the AI has more money for RAs on higher difficulties.

There's another fact to consider, you get a tech discount on techs that are already known by civs that you have met.

In Deity you can tech a lot faster than in Chieftain because the AI can tech faster and that indirectly makes you tech faster.

Almost 100% true. There is 1 exception and it's deity. The strongest level for fast science/diplo victories in my opinion is immortal.

For science/diplo victories, at deity you need more gold and hammers than immortal to extra expand with puppets and reach 7-9 cities around the turn 100(standard speed) without crippling science(NC pre 80-90), probably the strongest route to have the best dates possible(annex, rush buy science buildings) and still be able to sign some valuable RAs.

Domination and culture are different. More the level is easy lower the finish date will be, excepted culture between prince and king/emperor where king/emp will give slightly better results than prince. Free settlers from the settler level and large discount for culture are for the lolz.

And at Deity you are far more likely to conquer cities that will still have a bunch of useful buildings, including universities, public schools, workshops and happiness buildings. Even at Immortal you often conquer cities at turn 150+ that are left with nothing, or maybe a granary or water mill. Takes forever for them to become worth annexing (if ever), while the Deity cities can often be annexed profitably right after they come out of revolt. Great time/turn saver.

Thanks for the responses. This seems to explain why it has been so difficult for me to get anywhere near 300 turn SVs.

Does the tech discount for techs that have already been researched by other civs stack? For example, if I met 3 civs that have researched Philosophy before me, would the discount be greater than if I had only met 1 or 2 civs that had already researched it?

They stack. But really, it doesn't cut off that many turns from your finish time. You should be far ahead of the AI in tech by the Industrial Era at the very latest(except Deity), meaning there won't be any tech reductions at that point.

And at Deity you are far more likely to conquer cities that will still have a bunch of useful buildings, including universities, public schools, workshops and happiness buildings. Even at Immortal you often conquer cities at turn 150+ that are left with nothing, or maybe a granary or water mill. Takes forever for them to become worth annexing (if ever), while the Deity cities can often be annexed profitably right after they come out of revolt. Great time/turn saver.

Can be, but the risk is much higher. If you fail to capture your first cities you are in the big doo-doo.

Can be, but the risk is much higher. If you fail to capture your first cities you are in the big doo-doo.

It's a tradeoff between Immortal and Deity. You get faster techs, more money, better RA's, and better cities on Deity, but you need to focus on your units more and you don't get as many(if any) wonders.

There's another fact to consider, you get a tech discount on techs that are already known by civs that you have met.

In Deity you can tech a lot faster than in Chieftain because the AI can tech faster and that indirectly makes you tech faster.

Now that I think about it, that makes sense.

I always did wonder why I seem to tech faster on Emperor than on Prince.

On the contrary, you get exactly as many wonders on Deity as on Immortal. The only thing is, you build CBs instead of wonders :)

Most of the wonders I like to build give a bonus upon completion. Oracle, Pisa, PT, and Hubble are the wonders I usually get on Immortal with some others depending on the game.

Most of the wonders I like to build give a bonus upon completion. Oracle, Pisa, PT, and Hubble are the wonders I usually get on Immortal with some others depending on the game.

True. Oracle is perfectly doable on Deity unless Pacal is in the game, you can get Hubble if you burn a GE for it, Pisa and PT are a toss-up.

True. Oracle is perfectly doable on Deity unless Pacal is in the game, you can get Hubble if you burn a GE for it, Pisa and PT are a toss-up.

I haven't really put in the time to get into Deity, but there is a difference between getting the Oracle in Immortal and Deity. On Immortal, you can often delay it(unless the Mayans are in the game) until you reach the Renaissance Era. You can't do that on Deity unless you tech really fast. Hubble I wouldn't imagine having a problem getting on any difficulty. I doubt that I'd try to get Pisa(and by extension PT) on Deity since I'm not acclimated to the difficulty.

I haven't really put in the time to get into Deity, but there is a difference between getting the Oracle in Immortal and Deity. On Immortal, you can often delay it(unless the Mayans are in the game) until you reach the Renaissance Era. You can't do that on Deity unless you tech really fast. Hubble I wouldn't imagine having a problem getting on any difficulty. I doubt that I'd try to get Pisa(and by extension PT) on Deity since I'm not acclimated to the difficulty.

Oracle is often available until ~T110 from what I've experienced from Deity and seen from LPs. If the Mayans are in the game, it's gone T80 :lol:

When the Mayans are in the game, I've seen it gone in the 60s. On Immortal to boot <.<. I can only imagine that it can be earlier on Deity. As for delaying it to turn 110, I find that to be a 50/50 shot on Immortal. I would think the odds are lower on Deity. Not to mention that I usually don't get to the Renaissance Era by turn 110, even on my fastest SV times. Usually 115 for me.

Top Bottom