AngstMaker

Angst

Rambling and inconsistent
AngstMaker

Introduction

This is not a NES. This is an exercise in worldbuilding.

Think of it as a community-driven World Editor that makes a scenario that I do not plan to host.

The participants will be restricted in nature, and this is why it is an exercise; it will be different from Terrance888’s experiments as here you are given finite tools.

Concept

The world we create is thematically set somewhere in an Earth-like classical era, but without a simulationist approach to the finalized technologies and philosophies of the cultures – ideally, our approach will construct us a scenario which could be used for something similar to N3S. That is, our exercise has a pretense of seriousness and there are no fantastical elements; try to abide to the tone established by the other players; if not, build on it. My only real ‘mod participation’ will be doing specific determined phases of the project as well as being the final word on if something is too dumb or too silly.

Basically, I’m the benevolent judge and my own knowledge of the classical age is highly romanticized and uneducated, so you have a good bit of room to wiggle.

The map we make will not be a whole world, but rather a subset of a world, similar to a Civ scenario.

Participation

In order to participate in this project, you have to first submit to this thread. Please tell me in a post if you are interested, with your name in bold, like this:

“
I want to participate. Angst
”

The world creation is done in a number of Cycles where players are allowed to influence the course of world construction with the finite tools I grant them. The players take turns each day adding stuff to the world. Only one player takes a turn during a given day, and each task should take no more than 10 minutes. This means that if you become part of a worldbuilding team of 7 players, you only really have to spend 10 minutes weekly on this project.

After a specific number of Cycles have been completed, I spend time equivalent of a Cycle to do some work that I find is too much of a hassle to do with this worldbuilding. This mean that with a Cycle duration of one week, after the required Cycles have been finished, I will spend one week to work on straightening out some factors that are needed to have this thing finished. This is the only real equivalent of an ‘update’ in this experiment.

After the participants are chosen I will post a schelude where the players’ turns are listed – one player a day. If a player can’t participate during its given day, that player must immediately declare so in this thread. The player’s turn will instead be pushed to after the end of the schelude – no other players will have their scheludes changed by this. I know this may be unoptimal, but I have chosen this method in order to avoid personal headaches.

Due to the nontaxing nature of this project (10 minutes per turn guys), if you miss your deadline, your turn is skipped completely; unless the player after you accepts your late entry and builds on it. It’s really up to you guys to show mercy, I won’t. Because, come on: 10 minutes potentially once every week or so.

And because I have no idea where to write this: deadlines will always be 23:59 GMT +1 on the player’s given day.

So I just posted my submission. What now?

Wait for a bit. I have the rules ready. I just need to give them some polish. Expect the game to be up in a week from now. (17:00 GMT +1.)

I want at least 7 players to be participating in order to start this.

Ooh sounds awesome! Will we play the NES afterwards?

Not with me as a mod. After the death of my GodNES I don’t really want to mod a NES anymore.

Other NESers are welcome to pick up the torch and host the finished setting as a NES for me.

I do stress that I think GodNES’ early end had more to do with the self-destruction of my pc than my commitment abilities. It completely ruined my ability to function at all during its downtime. Nevertheless I am way too angstily afraid of disappointing so many people again, therefore I refuse to make this ‘NES’ a thing after it’s finished. I have instead chosen to benefit the community by doing this creative exercise, generally participating more and perhaps posting some of the rulesets I make in my spare time.

(5:14:24 PM) Angst: do you understand the premise? :)
(5:14:30 PM) terrance: yes
(5:14:35 PM) terrance: it is a structured world building exercise
(5:14:46 PM) Angst: exactly! :)
(5:14:48 PM) terrance: sorta like structured team building exercises vs lock people into a room with no food for a week

I will post the Cycles here along with other stuff.

CYCLE I: SCENARIO MAP -

o> Proper explanation of the process here

o> Here are the distributed biomes that players have recieved

o> This is the turn schelude

Spoiler Old explanation for Cycle 1 process. :

First we will draw the map as a community. The map will be created in manually drawn provinces that serve as the fundament for our worldbuilding. (For province haters: Do not despair. At the end of our exercise, the province borders will be abolished; they are merely functional tools for the construction of this world.)

Preliminary to the taken turns, I will draw two provinces and give each a completely random biome. Each participant will additionally be given two biomes at random: the provinces he draws must be either of those biomes.

The province biomes are:

Plains
Grassland
Tundra
Mountain
Hills
Desert
Marsh

When adding a province, simply copy the map the last player posted in the thread, add your province to the map, then upload it as a .png file and post it in the thread. If the map's too small, you can even increase its size.

Each time you add a province to the map, that province has to border at least two other provinces. You are allowed to have your province touch the edge of the map.

In order to denote your biome, simply type it onto your province.

Additionally, try to keep the province somewhat concave (and sizably reasonable). Try to inspire yourself from European coastal and national borders; they often snake around a bit. If you make Africa-esque provinces with straight lines, I will mod-smite you.

Each player has two turns in total over the cycle and as such will place two provinces in total during his or her cycle.

It is important we don’t fill all areas of the map out. Non-provincial areas of the map will be ocean. So it's meaningful to be restrained and not fill the whole map out if we want water to be an integral part of our world.

CYCLE 2 - RESOURCES ETC

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13286758&postcount=144

Immaculate will contribute.

Lord_Herobrine would like to join.

merciary always enjoys worldbuilding.

Seon likes this very much.

Good thing to see people in :) I need not say it, but the threshold of participants has been crossed, so this is going to be a thing.

Again, submissions are not accepted anymore this wednesday 17:00 GMT +1. If your friends want to jump in on it before then, please have them make the submission post.

Submissions are now closed. The attendees are:

Terrance888
Arrow Gamer
Nivyi
Thomas.Berubeg
Popcornlord
Immaculate
erez87
Lord_Herobrine
merciary
Seon
SouthernKing
bon3fang
mythmonster2
North King
Taillesskangaru

We have 15 players, which will mean Cycle 1 will last 30 days. With my initial two provinces, that will make 32 provinces in total.

In a short while (probably an hour or so) I will formulate the first Cycle as well as give you your turn schelude. If you can't make a given deadline, tell me and your deadline will be placed in the back of the Cycle schelude. If you miss your deadline and don't make it before the next player does, your turn is skipped.

The first turn taken will be April 9th. I will randomize and post the schelude asap.

Map design schelude:

April 8th: Angst's first map will be up for you to edit!

April 9th mythmonster2 :hammers:
April 10th SouthernKing :yuck:
April 11th North King :hammers:
April 12th Taillesskangaru
April 13th Terrance888
April 14th Lord_Herobrine
April 15th Immaculate
April 16th Thomas.Berubeg
April 17th merciary
April 18th bon3fang
April 19th Arrow Gamer
April 20th Seon