Creating clothes for Kinboat's paperdoll

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
I've recently taken up unit making in Poser 5, having now created about a dozen units that are in the Anno Domini mod with more to come (these will all be available in about 5 weeks time when the mod is launched).

Kinboat's paperdoll model seems so easy to work with for units compared to Michael 3/Victoria 3. I can use the props for Mike 3/Victoria 3 on the paperdoll without any problems, but run into issues if I try to conform a conforming clothing item to the paperdoll model. I was wondering if there was a reasonably easy way to adapt these outfits for use with the paperdoll? Whilst I use Poser 5 a lot, I'm not that technically minded, so I've learnt most of my stuff by trial and error rather than reading through the manual. Hopefully, Poser users will be able to help!!

The easiest way to do this would probably be to load the clothing figure and scale it around until it's a reasonable fit to the paperdoll figure. Then enter the setup room and replace the clothing skeleton with the paperdoll skeleton. You'll need to regroup the polygons to the correct bones but then you should get a clothing figure that will conform to the paperdoll figure. Make sure you save it under a different name so you don't have to do this more than once :D

Hey, that unit looks really nice. You seem to have gotten the hang of unit creation pretty quickly.

On a side note, what kind of clothing figures from "The Michael Collection" did you need? I was just wondering because you might be able to find a work around using various parts of Kinboat's items, or something relatively simple could be possibly be made for you.

Indeed, try using textures on them, or maybe adapt some existing textures to the paperdoll(that would be tricky though). Also using transparencies can have good results. I haven't used transparency maps yet, but this should produce even more variations.

Also, note that for some units you'll not need clothing at all.(or extra clothing), depending what you want. If it's a simple suit, you can always do this with the body texture(I used this method for the dwellers).

Here's an example of a work-around I did today. The unit name is Pezetairoi, foot companions in Alexander's army. I've basically done some re-colouring of existing figures for the paperdoll and been able to fix a couple of Michael 3 props on (ie the hoplon and helmet).

I like that attack... very animated as it were :D

Yes, props is my way to go too.
As I only have p4 and can't bone anything..
If I had P6 like you, I'd give a shot to the method Kinboat suggested. However, Kinboats models are quite flexible as they are.

I've chosen traditional P4 dork/ette figures for Federation due to my inability to change the clothes properly, but for ancient units there shouldn't be a problem with paperdoll.

Top Bottom