New Mod: The Great Land

AndrewG

Warlord
Hi everyone,

I'm totally new when it comes to modding, so I hope that I can get some help with my new project. I've been playing Civ in one form or another for years, and I've always been a history buff, so I figure it's time to start on this one that I've been planning for a while. I'll be posting bits and pieces of it gradually.

The Great Land: Rules Explained
A CivIII: Conquests mod, all about the history of Alaska. This will be a fairly extensive mod, including new terrain, units, civs, tech, etc. The mod will cover 1650 to 2050 (the period of first European exploration to the near future).

The modpack will actually include a few different scenarios and maps, based off of the same units, tech, terrain and rule set. The vanilla scenario will be a basic colonization and domination or diplomacy victory, covering the whole of Alaska and featuring playable civs as the Americans, Canadians, Russians, and several different Native groups. The Forgotten War is a WWII scenario about the Aleutian campaign. I'm also planning on doing maps of various regions in Alaska: Prince William Sound, and possibly Southeast Alaska, and/or the Northwest (Bering Strait) region, and I've got some vague ideas on specific scenarios, but these will be handled in a Phase II of the project.

I also want to keep the mod fairly historic, which means no Eskimo steamships, totem pole skyscrapers, igloo cities, etc. -- although there will be modern Native Alaskan units where it's appropriate.

So, on with the show...

The main map of Alaska will be huge in size, and will also include part of the Russian far east, and northwestern Canada -- which is historically appropriate for the scope of the mod, naturally. The map will be huge in size; hopefully the relatively few civs in the mod and fewer available improvements (we'll get to that later) will help to offset the load time.

In order to keep a semblance of scale but still fit in the Aleutians, I rotated the entire map a few degrees counterclockwise. Screenshots to be posted later.

Land movement will have a greater cost penalty and improvements will take longer in this mod, reflecting the rugged terrain of Alaska and the obstacles it causes. Even today, most of the towns here aren't connected to the main road system, and with good reason.

I plan on making an Alaska terrain pack, mostly assembled from bits and pieces of existing terrain graphic packs. I will not be using the winter terrain -- I find it too difficult to distinguish between the terrain types.

Here's my to-do list for terrain:
Glaciers: A mountain LM terrain, this will be the one terrain type that is totally impassable by land units (except for a couple of specialized UUs), and improvements may not be made on them.
Sea, Coast and Ocean: Need a darker color for these
Coast: Would like to include a coast LM terrain set that features tiny offshore islands. This wouldn't do anything different from the regular coast, but will help with the aesthetic look in certain areas of the map (namely the Aleutians and the Panhandle).
Mountains: More rugged-looking and snowy mountains -- http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2168888&postcount=1, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=279338
Rain Forest: I'm replacing Jungle with Temperate Rain Forest, to distinguish the tall timber trees of the Panhandle and south coastal areas from the smaller pine and deciduous forests found farther north. It will be a requirement for certain units or improvements, such as the Tlingit war canoe. Graphics will need to be changed accordingly.
River Deltas I like the rivers with tributaries and the wider deltas. I must remember to use this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=98828

Pollution: (I know this is an overlay rather than terrain, but whatever.) I want to change the orange pollution tiles to look more like an oil slick. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would also like pollution to affect water, cleanable by a specialized unit. Has anyone else tried modding pollution tiles?

A number of people have also requested greener tundra, so I'll work on that for the terrain set as well.

I've gone with the Civ tradition of putting weirder or surprising city names at the end of the list.

Americans (Industrious, Scientific)
Leader: William Allen Egan
Military Leaders:“Muktuk” Marston, Ernest Gruening, Tony Dimond, Billy Mitchell, James Doolittle, Laura Beltz Wright,Lawrence Castner, Simon Bolivar Buckner,John Green Brady, James Wickersham, Mike Healy
Scientific Leaders:John Muir, Lt. Fredrick Schwatka, Lt. Henry T. Allen, William H. Dall, Franz Boaz, Frederica De Laguna
City List:
Juneau
Anchorage
Fairbanks
Nome
Wasilla
Skagway
Ketchikan
Haines
Palmer
Homer
Dutch Harbor
King Salmon
Soldotna
Willow
Valdez
Cordova
Circle City
McCarthy
Seward
Teller
Council
Eagle River
Chugiak
Talkeetna
Petersburg
North Pole
Delta Junction
Tok
Ambler
McGrath
Whittier
Eagle
Spenard
Girdwood
Deadhorse
Hope City
Sunrise
Platinum
Y

Canadians (Industrious, Commercial)
I thought it went better with the Klondike theme to use the Canadians rather than the British.
Leader: William Ogilvie
Military Leaders: Charles Constantine, George Mercer Dawson, Robert Campbell, Jack McQuesten, George Carmack
Scientific Leaders: James Cook, George Vancouver, Alexander MacKenzie, John Franklin, John Bell, Robert Kennicott
City List:
Whitehorse
Dawson City
Kluane
Carcross
Fortymile
Holy Cross
Fort Stikine
Old Crow
Fort McPherson
Pelly Crossing
Burwash Landing
Fort Selkirk
Johnson’s Crossing
Barlow
McQuesten
Elsa
Mayo
Keno Hill
Aishihik
Frances Lake
Granville
Destruction Bay
Clinton Creek
Rancheria
Champagne
Beloud Post
Koldern
Stewart Crossing
Clear Creek
Dalton Post
Norman Wells
Tungsten
Nahanni Butte
Fort Liard
Fort Good Hope
Snag

Russians (Religious, Commercial)
Leader: Grigory Ivanovich Shelikhov
Military Leaders: Alexandr Baranov, Alexei Chirikov, Yuri Fyodorovich Lisyansky, Nikolay Petrovich Rezanov
Scientific Leaders: Vitus Bering, Semyon Dezhnev, Lavrenty Zagoskin, Mikhail Gvozdev, Georg Steller, Otto Von Kotzebue
City List:
Kodiak
Novoarkhangelsk (Sitka)
Three Saints Bay
Mikhailovsk
Unalaska
Atka
Fort St. Nicholas
Aleksandrovskii
Voskresenskii (Seward)
Konstantinovskii
Nikolaevsk
Katmai
Wrangell
Sutkhum
Nushagak
Golovin
Fort Sts. Constantin and Helena
Resurrection Harbor
St. Paul
Coal Village
St. George
New Aleskandrovskii
Fort St. George
Ninilchik
Nulato
Fort St. Michael
Fort St. Dionysius
Zaikoff Bay

Choosing leaders was a bit of a challenge here. I wanted to go with leaders who are no longer alive.

Inupiat (Scientific, Expansionist)
Leader: Eben Hopson (though Maniilaq would also be a good choice)
Military Leaders: Qayaq, Howard Rock, Sammy Mogg, Percy Ipalook, Changunaq (Sinrock Mary)
Scientific Leaders: Uyagok, Lily Savok, Qutliuraq Ruth Ekaak
City List:
Ukpeagvik (Barrow)
Tikigaq (Point Hope)
Qikiqtagruk (Kotzebue)
Inuvik
Ulguniq (Wainwright)
Unalakleet
Shishmaref
Noatak
Shaktoolik
Kaktovik
Stebbins
Inmachukmiut (Deering)
Kivalina
Anaktuvuk Pass
Nuiqsut
Wales
Tuktoyaktuk
Shesalik
Noorvik
Selawik
Oksik
Kali (Point Lay)
Inalik (Diomede)
Kochuk
Shungnak
Atqasuk
Kiwalik
Aklavik
Elim
Koyuk
Paulatuk

Yup'ik (Scientific, Religious)
Leader: Uyaquk
Military Leaders: Crow Village Sam
Scientific Leaders: Helper Neck, Edna Kenick
City List:
Mamteriilleq (Bethel)
Curyung (Dillingham)
Naparyarmiut (Hooper Bay)
Chevak
Togiak
Tulukaghogamiut (Crow Village)
Mekoryuk
Emmonak
Alakanuk
Kipnuk
Quinhagak
Negtemiut
Kwigillingok
Akiacuar
Qerrullik
Stuyahok
Tuutalgaq
Iquk
Koliganek
Manokotak
Marayaaq
Negeqliq
Iguigig
Aleknahek
Chefornak
Tununak
Toksook Bay
Ekwok
Egegik
Noghelin
Sleetmute
Nunam Iqua
Eek

Alutiiq (Religious, Seafaring)
Leader: Makarka Chimovitski
Military Leaders: Pugla’allria
Scientific Leaders: ?
City List:
Nuuciq
Tatillamek (Tatitlek)
Ingim Acia (Chenega)
Kiniklik
Kuticak (Seward)
Nanwalek (English Bay)
Paluwik (Port Graham)
Akhiok
Karluk
Nuniaq (Old Harbor)
Afognak
Awa’uq
Sun’aq
Shuyak
Kachemak
Kataaq
Litnik
Naschkuchalik
Seleznevo
Igwiq
Qat’at
Maataq
Palugvick
Tyayuluk
Alukaq
Atuat
Sukluk
Chenega Bay

Aleuts (Seafaring, Expansionist)
I could keep adding to this if need be....the Aleuts have names for just about every single island in the chain, and although there are only a few major towns, they've moved around a lot -- most of the islands have been settled at one time or another.
Leader: Philemon Tutiakoff or Cungagnaq (“Peter the Aleut”)
Military Leaders: ?
Scientific Leaders: Ivan Pan’koff
City List:
Atan (Attu)
Unalaska
Akutan
Cold Bay
Agdaaĝux (King Cove)
Amchitka
Isanax (False Pass)
Adaax (Adak)
Chalukax (Nikolski)
Qagun Tayagungin (Sand Point)
Unmax
Amaxnax
Akungan
Sanaĝax
Anangusix
Tanaxax
Kusuuginax
Qigalaxsix
Aakayuudax
Stitxinax
Amlax
Saĝuugamax
Yuulax
Ugangax
Belkofski
Nikolskoye
Preobrazhenskoye

Tlingit (Militaristic, Expansionist)
Leader: Katilan
Military Leaders: Elizabeth Peratrovich, Stoonookw, Edward Marsden
Scientific Leaders: Cowee
City List:
Angoon
Hoonah
Yakutat
Kake
Chilkat
Klukwan
Saxman
Metlakatla
Klawock
Teslin
Atlin
Katalla
Shis’ki Noow
Noow Tlein
Gajaa Héen
Cháatl Káa Noow
Daxéit
Tenakee Springs
Port Chilkoot
Elfin Cove
Pellican
Port Craig

Athabaskans (Agricultural, Expansionist)
Leader: Katie John
Military Leaders: David Salmon, Sahneuti, Johnny Abel, Chief Nicolai
City List:
Mendaesde (Mentasta)
Iliamna
Eklutna
Chena
Nulato
Galena
Taghaelden (Taral)
Tanacross
Tanana
Nenana
Nondalton
Minto
Tetlin
Tyonek
Shagelik
Anvik
Chuathbaluk
Tsiigehtchic
Venetie
Mayo
Behchoko
Tseax
Gitlakdamix
Fort Yukon
Chalkyitsik
Holikachuk
Kallaq
Takotna
Aishihik
Tazlina
Iskut
Han
Cassiar
Telida
Nicolai

Not sure what to do with these, maybe include them as non-playable civs, or include them in a Phase II expansion.

Spanish (Seafaring, Commercial)
The Spanish never colonized Alaska, but they did send expeditions to explore, secure their claim on the Pacific Coast, and generally annoy the British and Russians. There are still place names with Spanish origins, so I've included these as city names. I'm thinking the Spaniards could start off with a couple of frigates and maybe a galleon with musketeers and possibly a settler. If they happen to take over an enemy civ's city, that gives them a foothold from which to expand -- otherwise, they just stay a minor nuisance. :lol:
Leader: Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra
Military Leaders: Antonio Valdez
Scientific Leaders: Salvador Fidalgo, Alessandro Massipina, Bruno de Hezeta
City List:
Puerto Valdez
Puerto Cordova
Port Fidalgo
Puerto de Bucareli
Puerto de los Remedios
Mount San Jacinto
Malaspina Glacier
Gravina Island
Puerto Revillagigedo
Cape Chacon
Punta de Evia
Bocas de Apodaca
Culebra Islands
Isla La Ratita
Cape Suspiro
Punta de Miravalles
Port Bagial
Punta del Sosiego
Bahía de Quevedo
Manzanita Bay

Eyak (Religious, Agricultural)
Leader: Galushia Nelson
Military Leaders: Chief Makkari, Old Man Dude, Old Chief Joe, Johnny Stevens
Scientific Leaders: Anna Nelson Harry
City List:
Eyak
Alaganik
Odiak
Ighinik
Kokinhenik
Galactl
Mummy Island
Orca Bay
Strawberry Point
Cape Yakataga
Icy Cape

Yuit (Siberian Yup'ik) (Religious, Industrious)
Leader: Annie Alowa
Military Leaders: ?
City List:
Providenya
Gambell
Savoonga
Uelen
Naukan
Sireniki
Ungazik (New Chaplino)
Uel’kai
Lorino
Lavrentiya
Ushakovskoye
Starry
Chertov Ovrag

Haida (Militaristic, Industrious) Just found this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1933488&postcount=1
Leader: Chief Shakes
Military Leaders: Soni-hat, Skowl, Cunnyha
Scientific Leaders: Kadjis-du-axtc
City List:
Hydaberg
Kasaan
Naikum
Skidegate
Masset
Klinkwan
Ninstins
Chaahl
Hokwan
Kung
Cumshewa
Kaisun
Kweundlas
Sukkwan
Dadens
Tigun
Gahlinskun
Kayung
Yaku
Haena
Kiusta
Hlieung
Skedabs
Yan
Gold Harbor

Tsimshian (Militaristic, Religious)
Leader: Mawlaken
Military Leaders: Ligeex, Ts’ibasaa, Nekt, Simedeek, Gitsegyukla
Scientific Leaders: Su-Dalth, Weenats, Shakloh
City List:
Kitka’ata
Git'ilaasu
Lax kw'Alaams
Lax Gyels
Laxgal’tsap
Klemtu
Bella Bella
Xalkiu
Kulkayu
Kitamaat (side note: there's actually an aluminum smelting plant here -- good to know when planting resources)

Russia will begin the game as heavily populated by barbarians, pre-placed so that I might give them a UU or two. It might also be fun as a Phase II (or III) project to make some gold- (or food-) giving "wildlife" units such as wolves or bears to populate the interior with as an added challenge in the early phase of the game.

Russian barbarian list:
Chukchi
Koryaks
Evens
Itelmens
Kerek
Aliutor
Kamchadal

Rules Changes
Frequency
To reflect the migration of game, caribou, moose, sea birds and other animals will have a frequent rate of dissapearance but an equally frequent rate of appearance.

Sea otters (and to a lesser extent, furs and whales) are an exception. They start plentiful but will start to disappear -- this should make things interesting for the Russians and Aleuts, who will eventually lose their major economic bonus. It also reflects what actually happened with the Russians, driving them inland and eastward, and eventually played a part in the Russians selling Alaska.
Mineral resources including gold, oil, and natural gas will also run out. Boom and bust!

Resources that aren't in Alaska: Alaska and the surrounding area has some major mineral deposits of substances not in the game (zinc, lead, molybdenum, etc.) I've decided to translate these as standard strategic resources such as Aluminum, Iron, etc., since: a) they will be needed for certain units and improvements, and b) Alaska doesn't have any significant deposits of (for example) aluminum as far as I know.

I'm thinking I may also need to "cheat" with Rubber and put a couple of resources in the Panhandle and/or northern B.C. where I've replaced Jungle with Rain Forest.

Sugar, Fruit, Oases, Silks, Ivory and Tobacco have been removed. I might also do away with Incense and Spices...maybe Dyes too, not sure yet.

Standard Resources:
Horses (I have to figure out where to put these, since horses aren't indigenous to Alaska. I'm thinking either I'll make them scarce but distributed somewhat evenly along the plains below the Brooks Range, or I'll concentrate them on the Russian steppes. Probably won't be that much of an issue anyway, since the terrain in this mod will make cavalry less of an advantage than in a regular game.)
Iron
Aluminum
Saltpeter
Uranium
Gold
Coal
Oil
Wines (I think there's a couple of wineries in British Columbia and/or Southeast Alaska)
Gems (I might replace this with Jade)
Whales -- inhabiting both Sea and Ocean in this mod
Furs
Cattle
Wheat

New Resources
Qiviut -- musk ox fur, a luxury resource found on tundra
Copper -- this will be a major strategic resource for Native units
Walrus -- coast and tundra, gives food and commerce (ivory)
Sheep -- food and shields (wool), bonus resource on hills and mountains
Seals -- food resource on coast
Crab -- coastal and sea bonus resource, gives food and commerce
Sea Birds -- food resource, coastal
Natural Gas -- strategic resource (though I don't know what unit or improvement might use it, any ideas?), gives commerce and shields
Platinum -- luxury resource, gives commerce. I've been toying with the idea of "Fuel Cells" as a tech advance, with Platinum as a requisite for some near-future improvement or unit. Any ideas?
Moose and Caribou -- same as game but with different graphics. Moose on flood plains, marshes and forest; caribou in tundra and plains.
Fish -- Because fishing is so important here, I've got two varieties: one in marsh (which I've renamed Wetlands), coast and sea and the other in sea and ocean. Right now I've got them named "Fish" and "Fish "; I'm thinking maybe of going with Salmon and Halibut respectively to avoid confusion. Maybe give the fresh water variety a commerce bonus as well, and the deep water a greater food bonus.
Sea Otters -- a major "cash crop" for coastal squares, until they run out!

Screenshots to be posted at a later time.

I'd like each civ to have at least a couple of unique units. This is just brainstorming -- I'm sure in the beta testing there will be some adjustments needed for game balance. As with the wonders, some of my concepts might not be doable, so this is a wish list for now until I get to refining it.

Russians and Americans get cossacks and F-15s as UUs as per the normal game, in addition to the new UUs in the mod. There are also a few units that will be unique to the mod that will be buildable by all civs. Native civs may get their own flavor units (bowmen, warriors and riflemen).

All civs
Unit: Dogsled
Description: Scout unit (does not replace Scout though) -- some defense ability, can move over glaciers, higher cost. Available with Domestication, upgrades to Dog Team.

Unit: Dog Team
Description: As with Dogsled but allows 1 or 2 unit transport. Available with Mushing. Alternatively, this could be a Snow Machine unit (we never call them snowmobiles here) that does the same, available with Combustion.

Unit: Territorial Guard
Replaces: Guerilla
Description:Guerilla unit that can move over glaciers. Available with Nationalism. Learn about the ATG here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Territorial_Guard
Spoiler :
The Guard never had an official uniform, but there are several pictures I've seen that show Territorial Guardsmen wearing swoopy white parkas. Their only real "uniform" was their badge, which should be visible.

See also here: http://vilda.alaska.edu/u?/cdmg3,582 , http://vilda.alaska.edu/u?/cdmg11,224 ,http://vilda.alaska.edu/u?/cdmg3,245

Russians
Unit: Promyshlenniki
Replaces: Musketeer
Description: Lower defense, but cheaper. I'm considering not making saltpeter a requirement as well. See here for a brief historical description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promyshlenniki
Spoiler :
I haven't found a lot of visual reference so far...no standard uniform, just basic Russian serf garb.

Unit: Sloop of War
Replaces: Frigate
Description: Smaller and faster than a frigate, with fewer guns (lower bombardment). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloop-of-war. Perhaps have limited attack ability as well.

Canadians
Unit: RCMP ("Mountie")
Replaces: Cavalry
Description: Mounties were the main law-enforcement unit in the Klondike -- even occasionally stretching their jurisdiction into American-owned Alaska in its pre-territory days. What I'd really like is for the RCMP unit to have an increased ability as an MP unit (i.e., fewer of them needed to quell rioters) but I'm not sure if this is possible. If it's not, maybe I'll just give it the advantage of removing the movement penalty over mountains and forest.
There's already a Mountie unit posted on the boards; I will post a link at a later time.

Unit: P-38
Replaces: Fighter
Description: Fighter with longer range. P-38s have been posted on the boards.
I think Canada used these in the Aleutian campaign, but I'm not certain (it may be more appropriate as an American unit). Maybe there's a Canadian infantry unit that would be more appropriate? I gladly welcome suggestions by anyone who's up on Canadian military.

Americans

Unit: Steamer
Replaces: Not a replacement unit.
Description: Transport vessel available with Steam Power. Pictures to be posted.

Unit: Revenue Cutter
Replaces: Frigate
Description: Frigate with higher defense. Here's a historical description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_cutter. Upgrades to U.S. Coast Guard Cutter.

Unit: USCG Cutter
Replaces: Revenue Cutter
Description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Coast_Guard_Cutter
Not sure what the equivalent would be in game terms...maybe a version of a cruiser?
[SPOIL] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Harriet_Lane.jpg/800px-WMEC_Harriet_Lane.jpg[/SPOIL]

Unit: Alaska Road Commission Crew
Replaces: Worker. Available with Industrialization.
Description: Builds faster roads and rail, has some defense.

Unit: Catalina "Flying Boat"
Replaces: Fighter
Description: Fighter with ability to see subs. Yes, I know this is tricky...if it's problematic, I may make it an earlier air transport unit. Catalinas have been posted on the boards.

Spanish
Unit: Goleta or Corvette
Replaces: Galleon
Description: A Spanish schooner. Faster than the galleon, but with fewer transported units.

Athabaskans
Unit: Atlatl
Replaces: Bowman
Description: Allows limited bombardment. Description and images to be posted.

Unit: Ahtna Spearman
Replaces: Pikeman
Description: Higher attack bonus. Requires copper. Description to be posted.

Aleut
I feel like there should be at least one additional UU -- maybe a javeliner or harpooner with marine attack, since the Aleut culture is so sea-oriented.
Unit: Bydarka
Replaces: Trireme
Description: Faster than a trireme, with deep water safety. Description to be posted.

Yup'ik
Unit: Kayak
Description: Better defense than trireme

Inupiat
Unit: Armored Warrior (need to look up the Inupiat name)
Replaces: Warrior
DescriptionWarrior with better defense. Inupiat used bone slat armor; pictures to follow.

Unit: Umiak
Description: Holds 3 units.

Alutiiq
Unit: Toion
Replaces: Swordsman
Description: War leader, armed with shield and war club. Does not require iron. Allow amphibious attack as well?

Tlingit
Unit: S’aati (“Captain”)
Replaces: Medieval Infantry?
Description: A light armored warrior with ring-studded leather armor. Available with Trade Routes. Images to be posted. Heavier defense than standard med. infantry. Requires copper.

Unit:X’aan Koondyi (“General”)
Replaces: Medieval Infantry?
Description: Heavy armored warrior with carved helmet and slat armor. Images to be posted. What I'd really like to do here -- since the purpose of the helmet was to inspire fear in the enemy (this will be more clear when I post pictures) -- is have the effect of actually lowering the defense of enemy units when attacked. I don't think this is possible though, so I may fall back on just having a higher attack than standard med. infantry.

Unit: Yaakw (War Canoe)
Replaces: Caravel
Description: Transport capacity 2, but offers attack and defense. Also available to Haida. I think someone might have done a graphic for this?

Tsimshian
Unit: Secret Society
Replaces: Maybe Knight?
Description: The Tsimshian had four secret societies: Mila (Dancers), Nulim (Dog Eaters), Ludzista (Destroyers), and Xgyedmhalait (Cannibals). These could be represented as a single unit, or as four individual units -- I'm thinking maybe four individual units but with identical abilities in game terms, done as a Phase 2 project. I haven't worked out yet what their abilities will be, though invisibility is certainly one option that comes to mind.
Spoiler :
Here's a Tsimshian warrior:

Eyak
I don't know what UU I would put here, but I'm thinking of some sort of stealth unit (maybe a shaman).

Siberian Yup'ik
Not sure, but I did come across this somewhere:
As among the Chukchi, interclan warfare was common, and a sort of armor was made from double strips of toughened sealskin or dried whale baleen encased in sealskin. Shin guards were made of mammoth tusks. Wooden shields covered with dried animal skin were sometimes worn around the head and shoulders for defence. Warfare with the Chukchi was endemic, and there is evidence that over the past several centuries the Chukchi took over more and more territory from the Yupik, leaving them with only a tiny fringe of land along the Bering seacoast.
So maybe some sort of armored warrior -- similar to what I'll use for the Inupiat.

I keep switching between wanting 3 vs. 4 techs -- what does everyone think?

Here's how it breaks down with four tech eras:
Age of Discovery: 1650 - 1800. The age of Russian fur exploitation and exploration by the European powers. Emphasis on discovery, exploration, and establishing territory.
Colonial Era: 1800 - 1900. Russia and America's Alaskan holdings, and Northwestern Canada, were basically run under the jurisdiction of mercantile companies to support their respective home governments. Emphasis on exploitation of natural resources, and making money.
Territorial Era: 1900 - 1950. Russia, Alaska and the Yukon/NWT/BC are made territories by their home governments, with some degree of autonomy. Emphasis on infrastructure and development.
Modern Era: 1950 - 2050. Northern territories are given a greater degree of autonomy (Alaska is made a state, Yukon becomes its own territory rather than a district, Natives are given land claims and Native corporations are founded). Emphasis on technology and cultural improvements.

The construction of the tech tree with regards to the Native cultures is a little tricky (maybe someone here can help). I want the Natives to start with their own, indigenous technology at a lower level than that of the Russians/Europeans, but not so low that it unbalances the game. Their tech level should be distinct but catching up in terms of power during the Colonial Era, and gradually merging with the rest of the tech tree at that time -- by the early Territorial Era, the Natives and other cultures should be using the same techs.

Techs
This is just brainstorming, full tech tree to be developed. It seems like there needs to be more (though some original techs will stay -- it's not a complete replacement). I suspect that when I start filling it into tech tree form, some ideas will present themselves.

Native Technologies -- I would like to expand on this more. EDIT: Found this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6423126&postcount=125
Domestication -- allows Dog Sleds
Storytelling/ Oral Tradition
Arctic Survival
Seafaring
Trade Routes -- allows Embassies
Carving
Weaving
Copper Working
Organized Warfare
Social Hierarchy -- Allows Tribal Council and some Native UUs
Native Corporations -- With Corporation + Refining. Allows Native Corporation government.

Non-Native or available to everyone:
Proselytization
Evangelism -- With Proselytization (above), extends the Theological branch of the tech tree into the Territorial Era. Allows improvements related to the Russian Orthodox church and 19th-century missionary activities.

Telegraphy
Placer Mining
Hard Rock Mining -- Requires Placer Mining + Steam Power
Reindeer Herding -- Allows Reindeer Station
Mushing -- Allows Serum Run GW
Whaling -- Allows Whaling Station improvement
Organic Act/ Territorial Administration
Commercial Fishing
Tourism
Civil Rights
Oil Exploration
Cultural Heritage Awareness -- I don't like the title of this one, but I wanted something to represent the late 20th-century revitilization of Native culture.
Alternative Fuels -- As oil runs out late in the game, I'd like an emphasis on Alternative Fuels. Any ideas on how to implement this?
Wildlife Management
Ecology -- I'd like for the discovery of Ecology to allow whales and sea otters to actually come back. Is there any way to implement this?

More brainstorming, details and effects to be filled later.

Qasgiq, Barabara -- Native community house, also acts as place for ceremonies and worship. Basic replacement for Temple.
Longhouse -- Available with Social Hierarchy? SE Native community house, but clan-specific.
Trading Post
Totem Pole
Inukshuk -- Historically these were piles of rocks erected as wayfinders for hunters out on the tundra. Maybe they should replace Outposts? Available with Arctic Survival.
Monastery
Recorder’s Office
Saloon
Fish Wheel
Cannery
Telegraph Office
Whaling Station
Roadhouse -- Available with Motorized Transportation.
Wildlife Reserve
Assayer
Reindeer Herd
Sawmill
Medical Clinic
Post Office
BLM Office
Permanent Fund Office
Cultural Center

Just brainstorming. Looking at this list, I see a lot of concepts linked to Refining and Steam Power...maybe these tech branches should be spread out more. Would also like more balance -- a lot of early and late tech wonders, but it should be more spread out into the middle eras as well.

There a couple of concepts here for things I would like to do, but I don't know if they're possible. If they can't do what I want them to, I'll have to come up with some alternative.

Great Wonders
Kennicott Copper Mine
Effect: Requires copper. What I'd like for it to do is to double the income from copper in all cities, but if it's not possible to do a resource-specific bonus, I suppose it can just give a standard trade bonus.
Available with: Hard rock mining

Merrill Field (or Will Rogers-Wiley Post Monument)
Effect: Gives an airport in every continental city
Available with: Aviation

Alaska Steamship Company
Effect: harbor in all coastal cities
Available with: Steam Power

Aleutian Mummy Caves
Effect: Barabara in each city?
Available with: Ceremonial Burial

Sitka National Park Totem Poles (Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi)
Effect: Barracks in every city
Available with: Either Social Hierarchy or Carving...or maybe Totem Poles need their own tech.

Raven Cycle
Effect: + 2 advances
Available with: Storytelling

Raven’s Tail Robe
Effect: +1 culture and increased chance of great leader
Available with: Weaving

Bering’s Expedition
Effect: extra ship movement
Available with: Magnetism

Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition
Effect: +1 trade for all trade tiles
Available with: Economics?

Alaska Railroad (or White Pass & Yukon Railroad)
Effect: Build railroads faster
Available with: Steam Power

Trans Alaska Pipeline System
Effect: Gives an oil platform in all continental cities
Available with: Either Refining or Mineral Exploration

ANCSA (AK Native Claims Settlement Act)
Effect: increases happiness?
Available with: Refining

Alcan Highway
Effect: Allows building ARC Crew special unit
Available with: Industrialization

Statehood Act
Effect: happiness & culture increase, reduces corruption
Available with: Nationalism

PFD (Permanent Fund Dividend)
Effect: happiness and $ increase
Available with: Refining

Veniaminov’s Orthography
Effect: + happiness in city and continent, doubles happiness of city
Available with: Proselytization

Sheldon Jackson’s Mission Society
Effect: + culture, prevents cultural conversion
Available with: Evangelism

SERVS (Ship Escort/Response Vessel System)
Effect: Workers clean pollution faster
Available with: Ecology

Natural Gas Pipeline
Effect: doubles $ from natural gas? (See my Kennicott note at the top). Requires Natural Gas resource.
Available with: Alternative Fuels

Lend-Lease Program
Effect: + production, produces veteran air units
Available with: Flight

Alaska Purchase
Effect: Maybe a big cultural bonus? Not sure what to do with this one, but it seems that the purchase should be acknowleged in the mod somewhere.
Available with: Economics? Again, this branch of the tech tree might need extending.

Our Lady of Victory (a k a , the "Igloo Church" -- Inuvik, NWT)
Effect: ?
Available with: Maybe Tourism? This idea also needs work, but it's a cool building that I'd like to include.

World Eskimo Indian Olympics (WEIO)
Effect: Forces negotiation from your enemies, adds culture
Available with: Cultural Heritage Awareness

Intercontinental Peace Bridge
Effect: Near-future wonder: + income and culture?
Available with: Superconductor

Jack London’s Saloon
Effect: Rename Shakespeare’s Theater
Available with: Free Artistry? (This tech also might need a rename)

Project Chariot
Effect: Rename Manhattan Project, with negative happiness
Available with: Fission

Kodiak Launch Complex
Effect: SS parts at half cost?
Available with: Satellites

Serum Run (or: Iditarod Monument/Finish Line)
Effect: Creates dogsled/dog team every few turns,adds a hospital for city
Available with: Mushing

Fairbanks Settlers Monument
Effect:
Available with:

Nunivak Island Tusk
Effect:
Available with:

Matanuska Colony
Effect: Some sort of agricultural bonus
Available with: Not sure, but I'm thinking there should be an agricultural tech somewhere around the early 20th-century technologies.

King Island Dancers
Effect: ?
Available with: Cultural Heritage Awareness?

Small Wonders
Klondike Gold Rush
Effect: Population increase. Requires gold.
Available with: Placer Mining

Alaskan Commercial Company
Effect: Covers maintenance costs for marketplace & harbors?
Available with: Economics

Harriman Expedition
Effect: +2 advances
Available with: Scientific Method

Alaskan Defense Command
Effect: Rename of Pentagon

White Alice (or DEW Line)
Effect: Rename Strategic Missile Defense

4th Avenue Theater
Effect: Reduce War Weariness
Available with: Mass Production

Port Clarence Reindeer Herd
Effect: Produces a Reindeer Herd in each city w/tundra, or tundra generates extra food
Available with: Reindeer Herding

Legislative Assembly
Effect: Rename Forbidden Palace
Available with: Organic Act

Territorial Mace
Effect: Cultural bonus.
Available with: Buildable w/Legislative Assembly.

As you can see from this, Natives are pretty much stuck with Despotism or Tribal Council for much of the game until Democracy and Native Corporation become available. Europeans and Russians have more options.

Despotism As in standard game. Starting government for Natives, optional government for all civs.

Tribal Council Natives only, available with Social Hierarchy tech. Replaces Republic, higher corruption, lower worker productivity.

Monarchy Should I make this an option? Available to which civs -- maybe just Canadians and Russians?

Colonial Mercantilism European and Russian civs only, represents de facto rule by a state-sponsored trading company (Russian-American Company, Hudson's Bay Company, Northern Commercial Company, etc.) Similar to Despotism but with much better income, allows forced labor, has higher war weariness, standard tile trade bonus. Allows Alaska Commercial Company small wonder. Available with Economics.

District Europeans and Russians only. Represents your empire as a district of your home government -- rule is by the home government which is the main beneficiary, i.e., colonialism writ large. Similar to Republic but w/higher corruption, higher MP limit, forced labor. Not sure which technology will make this available -- maybe Telegraphy, or maybe I should make up a different tech for it.

Territorial Legislature Europeans only. Your empire is not given representation in the home government, but is allowed self-administration in internal affairs and has some degree of control over its resources. In game terms, Democracy with low war weariness, low chance for cultural conversion, MP limit 1, higher corruption than Democracy. This will be available with its own tech (either Territorial Government or Organic Act, I haven't decided which). Allows Ceremonial Mace small wonder.

Democracy Statehood (in American terms), Provincial government (for Canadians) or Autonomous Okrug (for Russians). Available to all civs. Identical to standard Democracy, but available later in this mod than in the normal game.

Communism I'm thinking this should be an option for all civs, identical to the standard in-game Communism. Although it would lead to some amusing alternate histories (Communist Tlingits? A Democratic American Alaska sandwiched between a Communist Russia & Canada? Okay, now I'm just getting silly...)

Native Corporation Natives only. A regional corporation oversees the tribe's financial assets, administers tribal-owned land, and distributes wealth to its shareholders. Similar to Democracy but with Communal corruption and a lower worker rate, allows free units per settlement, low war weariness and high resistance to cultural conversion. Buildable with Corporation. (For those of you who are unaware of Alaska Native Corporations, this is a real thing that arose out of oil negotiations and very different from the Lower 48's types of Native governance...see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Native_Corporations )

City Graphics
There will be at least 3 city styles in the modpack: Russian, Native, and European (American & Canadian). At a later phase, it would be nice to break up the Native styles into subgroups of Eskimo, Southeast, and American Indian (Athabaskan).

Cities by era:
Russian: Era 1: Simple wooden buildings, Era 2: More modern buildings with onion-dome churches -- the recently posted Byzantine set might work well with some modification, Era 3: Imperial Russian architechture (Romanesque, ornate), Era 4: Squat, concrete Soviet-era buildings

European: Era 1: Tent cities?, Era 2: Frontier towns (an excellent set recently posted), Era 3: early 20th-century, Era 4: late 20th/early 21st century

Native: Era 1: Semi-subterranean sod houses and/or skin-covered structures, Era 2: Log cabins, plank houses, Era 3: wooden buildings with more modern structures, Era 4: Modern cities (maybe with a nice cultural center and/or corporate-looking building in the larger sizes

Interface
Another item to add to the to-do list (low priority, probably as a Phase 2 or 3) is to design new navigation consoles and/or tech tree. I'm thinking something that combines elements of Native and Gold Rush design: rustic wood, floral-beaded moosehide, etc. Music would be nice too: maybe something Native sounding, a Russian folksong, saloon ragtime, and either some fiddling or something Northern Exposure-y sounding.

First Post! Woot! Looks very very interesting! I"l keep up with this mod, very interested in what the finished product will look like.

Top Bottom