Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
i voted yes... however, i think it should only be included as a future tech bonus. under any other tech
will make that tech much too overpowered, imho. i have played the original game as well as the new
remake of the game and loved both games. additional techs of other than ''future techs'' would be alot cooler... just stating my opinion here.

I agree with this. GDR should be included in your idea as well. If you research one future tech, then only then, should they both become available. Putting them in the info era which is now in the modern day is ludicrous.

I hadn't heard the term before someone from FfH2 said it but I think the GDR and XCOM squad are meant to be "Double Win" mechanics. Things that are late in the game and aren't supposed to be balanced. By the time you get to them you're already going to win, it's just how long it takes you to do it. So these exist to let you win faster.

Whilst the name may be considered problematic the actual unit itself is actually not that far out of left field. Right now all over the world countries have special forces who do high altitude paradrops and use things like sniper rifles that can go for kliks, rocket launchers, assault rifles and automatic weapons. The base level X-Com troops in that game are very much Delta, Spetsnaz or SAS troop in style. Sure the naming convention being used is a marketing tie in to one of their other games and design wise they reflect that game but as a basic concept the unit is equivalant to current real world units. The GDR on the other hand should very much be future tech because it is a bit of a pipe dream. I'm very happy to have a late game unit that isn't a tank and is of some use because in the real world tanks are now more urban pacification vehicles rather than the game changers they were even 20 years ago. If you dont like the name fair enough but the unit itself is not a million miles away from current real world special forces.

I do not want a marketing promo in my Civ V, especially one from a game with a much higher ESRB rating. I am not a prude, but please do not give me the "Snake is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl" nonsense, as it is the result of the Metal Gear's creator's son pressure on the creator of Smash Bros. (Brawl is Teen-rated), while this one is the result of Firaxis wanting to market their other game, hoping that 10-year-olds would ask their parents what that squad is from.

Yes I know that the squad in their original game speaks like Gordon Ramsay (minus the censorship), hence the M-rating.

Even Brawl has a higher ESRB rating than Civ V.

XCOM and CiV are developed by the same studio, out of the same building. They are both tile-based turn based strategy games. That is nothing like the MGS/Smash Bros thing.

Yes I know that the squad in their original game speaks like Gordon Ramsay .

Actually, Ramsay is worse (censorship aside). I've never heard any XCOM squads toss out an F-bomb, or many words that would be censored on this forum.

Still, I do take your point, it's not a game that young children should be playing. That said, 12 year-olds (or any inappropriate age) are not going to be able to run out and buy XCOM without their parents' permission simply because they saw something referencing it, and hopefully they have parents responsible enough to not buy them M-rated material.

Top Bottom