SGOTM 15 - One Short Straw

I have the save and will commence playing the turnset up to turn 53 on or about 11:15am Central Time. (approx 1 hour from now).

Please post if any objections
Turn 48 2080BC

Gold Worker NW NW
Bronze Worker Mine
Zlatorog Worker Chop Zlatorog-S
Change Production in Zlatorog to worker I would go ahead and start the warrior immediately. That way we have time to move it W+W, where it can see across the lake and see if there is a barb on the other side of the forest. It doesn't need to go into the forest until the coast is clear.
Zlatorog Works Gold only
Tech Slider to Full
Delhi GrassHillMine x2 Floodplain Corn

Turn 49 2040BC

Change Zlatarog to warrior
Deer worker W SW Mine
MM Delhi to work the copper mine (plus corn, FP and GHMine)
Zlatorog Worker Chop
GOLD-ELOCKS works Plains forest and gold this turn only

Turn 50 2000BC
Gold-E Locks completes warrior and starts a worker.
MM sheep Gold. Worker in 8 turns
Warrior heads NE to sheep to fog bust.
Zlatorog completes warrior and starts a worker.
Zlatorog warrior moves W.

Zlatorog 1S worker S SE
1 Bronze worker N Chop Cancel Order
1 Bronze worker W NW

Turn 51 1960BC

Delhi 1SE Worker NE Chop
Delhi 1SW Worker Chop
Delhi 2NW worker 1 SW Chop
Zlatorog warrior moves W. Looks across lake to see if the coast is clear.

Turn 52 1920BC

Zlatorog warrior looks across lake to see if the coast is clear.
If coast is clear, warrior moves N to forest to close up chokepoint.

Nothing
Some suggestions above.

On an aside.... How do you clear those damn fat cross overlays?
Not sure what you mean.

What about the chop? Do I just switch back to worker that turn only? Or do you want me to chop the warrior?
It doesn't really matter. It's just a bit easier to build the warrior starting now and chop it. Same either waay because both the warrior and the worker get 4hpt.

magnus, there's no need to vote on moving the warrior to the sheep tile, btw. It's safe there anyway for now. Toku can't DoW us either right now. That's the move to make for sure.

Agree with the plan. The chops going into workers/settlers only really matters when a city is growing since you don't grow when building them. Since Zlatorog is not growing, it doesn't matter and we might as well just finish the warrior. I have not checked to see when we start to pay maintenance on the number of units or supply costs for having units outside our borders. This should not happen between now and turn 52 though.

Not related to this turnset, but I've been thinking about whether or not it makes sense to settle the deer/cow site. I do think that city would be good long-term because it will be able to crank out units once it's grown and has a granary. However, do we really want to put the time and effort into setting this city up? I think those 100H would be better spent on axes and cats. I'd rather have two of Toku's cities, including his capital, a few turns sooner than the cow/deer city... We need to take advatage of Construction as soon as we can, right?

Well that was quick. :(

An archer has appeared on our southern border

Shall I end and upload new save? Save uploaded

Turn 48, 2080 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa.
Turn 48, 2080 BC: Delhi can no longer work on Stonehenge. The lost ℤ is converted into 60ℴ!
Turn 48, 2080 BC: Zlatorog can no longer work on Stonehenge. The lost ℤ is converted into 18ℴ!

Do I run and hide in cultural borders?

head west to fight in the hills?

Head SE to fight in the forest?

with tokus archer exploring perhaps he'll take care of it for us

Attachments

• Archer approaches.jpg
    Archer approaches.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 58
I've got to be quick because I have to head out now. Four options:

1. Promote to Woodsman and take a stand in the forest to the SE.
2. Wait and take a stand with this warrior and the one coming from Gold-E Locks. If one dies, hopefully the other can finish him off.
3. Wait and see if Toku's archer takes care of it for us.
4. Combination of 2 and 3.

I would go into our cultural borders and wait it out. Good idea on Toku's archer handling the problem. Is the archer unpromoted? EDIT: No, he isn't. I'd just hide in our culture for now. Watch where he goes, if you can.

As of T49, we're up to 24 cities worldwide.

We'll just have to see what happens. The warrior at the bananas will be free to help in a few turns. We just wait it out.

The most important thing to remember, magnus, is to not be distracted by this event and forget to do other parts of your planned turn. I would just move the warrior to safety and continue playing.

LowtherCastle said:
I would go into our cultural borders and wait it out.
I agree. I would say that hiding on the Grassland River Forest square to the NW (SE of the Flood Plains square) would be a good place to be.

That way, we'll get a chance to build up a Fortification bonus, for standing on the same square for several turns.

The Barb Archer will actually help to spawn-bust, to prevent additional Barb units from appearing.

We will want to keep an eye on the area, so that if the Barb Archer wanders to the west close to our other Warrior, we'll have time to react to such a situation.

One minor concern is that a Barb City could appear down there, but I think that we're likely to lose the Warrior if we fight now, so I think that it's better to retreat, get some Fortification bonus on that Forest that we retreat to, while putting our Warrior between the Barb Archer and our civilization. We would essentially delay the fight a bit.

I would be tempted to take the Woodsman I promotion if the Barb Archer follows us or appears next to our Warrior on a future turn, just in case the Barb Archer is tempted to attack us.

Also, with Toku's Archer being to the north of Gold-E Locks, we shouldn't have to first move the Gold-E Locks Warrior to the Grassland River Forest to the north of the City and should be able to move the Warrior directly to the Grassland River Sheep, since any Barb unit up in the north is likely to fight it out with Toku at the end of our current turn (either Toku attacking the Barb or the Barb attacking Toku... if there even is a Barb to the north of Gold-E Locks at all).

We will have to deal with him soon though... before we settle marble.
Good point. I'm not really clear where our second Warrior is coming from, but if I understand things correctly, we'll have a second Warrior coming to the area to help out, right?

Two Warriors will stand a much better chance if they team up versus a Barb Archer, and we may get lucky like magnusmarcus hopes and have Toku's Archer come over and visit the Barb Archer.

I was thinking of the other warrior being the one freed up when we settle Gems City.

With all of the peaks counting as land tiles and the fact that most of them are un-spawnable, I'm nervous to leave any tile not spawn busted. So, if we do move the warrior to the SW of Delhi, we have to be sure that the banana-NW tile stays spawn busted. If we don't, barbs killed anywhere on the map aren't going to have too many options on where they can spawn and we may create a new "problem" in trying to resolve our current one...

Top Bottom