New SG!!! Regent? Emperor?

Conqueror '91

Crimethinker
Hey! Five member SG in creation! If you prefer Regent or Emperor, just say, i don't care either way. If you plan to play, post here with any preferences you would have. I am asking for moderate-skill players who have plenty of free time and aren't always tied up. (God, that sounded like a personal ad:nuke:!!!)

Ok! Whenever you can, just reply!

Current members:
Conqueror '91 (me)
pindicator
SesnOfWthr
M60A3TTS
rdomarat

that's everybody! I can update again if you need me to.

What version game will it be?

Edit: Forgot to say I was interested. :crazyeye:

Ooh... Conquests, no patches(don't know what number that is.)

I am interested but...

1. I have never played in a SG
2. I have never tried emperor although I consistently have success at Monarch.
3. I have version 1.15b of C3C although I suppose I could reinstall the unpatched version.

If any/all of these preclude me from joining, no hard feelings -- otherwise I'll be here.

SesnOfWthr: That's cool. It would be a lot easier if I just installed the patch. It is okay if you have never played in an SG before or have never tried emperor. I will add monarch to the possibilities, since I forgot that level was even there! Thanks!

Yes, most ppl and SGs have 1.15 patch to go with C3C. I am really pretty new at C3C, though; however I was (still am, really) an Emperor level player on PTW. Never got the balls to try Diety, though :D

Edit: typos

Yeah! I am now downloading 1.15 Beta so we'll have it when we start. What civ are we thinking of? I like the Mayans and the Egyptians as favorites.

I'd be willing to give it a go, but like SesnOfWthr, I too have never played an SG. Won Emperor once, pretty consistent at Monarch or Regent. Just downloaded 1.15 Beta. Egyptians sound interesting. Although as Mayans, turning your opponent into slave labor has it's advantages as well!

Not much of a preference on the civ here, but I do like a UU that comes a bit later to enhance the effect of the GA.

As for the map, I just don't like archipelagos since I always seem to get stuck on some dinky little island in the middle of nowhere. Prefer continents but pangaea is fine too.

The last two times I tried continents, the Romans and Persians each ended up on the bigger landmasses, wiped out their opponents, and by the time they were through, had a sizable lead. Then on top of that they stay best buddies with the baddest civ on my continent. Just an observation. I like my enemies where I can get at them. Agree archipelagos are a no-go. An early UU vs barbarians alone won't trigger a GA before it's obsolete.

I'd be interested. Here are my preferences :

- Regent Level
- c3c 1.20 (I'll be patching within 24 hours of it's release unless the board says it REALLY sucks)
- Pangea, standard size, 70% water
- Random Climate/Age/Wetness
- Random Barbs
- Random Opponents
- I'm a builder, not a war monger, so I prefer Agri/Ind/Com/Rel civs (in that order). The Mayans and Egytptians are my favourite civs. I hate the early UU, but love the trait combos.

Plenty of free time doesn't exactly fit me. I've got three kids and a full time job, but if the game comes to me, I can play that night 95% of the time, with the other 5% being the next night.

I also like long walks on the beach and sitting by a roaring fire (playing Civ). There, now it really sounds like a personal ad. :)

Well, I'm no math major, but that looks like five to me.

Now if we just hammer out the civ I think we can get rolling. I am a bit of a warmonger, though I can build too so I was thinking about the French? A later UU, they're com & ind, and I've never tried them. :)

I'm fine with the rest of rd's suggestions if everyone else is.

As far as the patch, I intend to dl it when I can as well, but that means everyone will have to -- potentially in the middle of the game -- as v1.20 saves won't work on the beta patch. I can go either way on this as well.

Conquistador? Are you here somewhere? It's your thread so I imagine you get final say on the players ....

Edit: judging by the timestamps on his posts, he can't browse the forums at work like some of us lucky ones ;)

Well, I am a Math major (really), and I count five as well. I'd play the French as well. The UU is pretty useless (why would I want an extra attack on a defensive unit?), but it comes at the right time to trigger a good Golden Age. I also like the trait combo. Ind gets us off to quick start with fast worker rates, and Com will get the money rolling in during the middle ages once our core cities start growing beyond size 6.

It might be worth our time to wait for the v1.20 patch to start. it's been in the "about to be released at any second" stage for a few days now.

Alright! I have randomly chosen a Civ from the three we suggested(Mayans, Egyptians,French) and it came out being the Mayans. I like their trait combo, so we got lucky! I've updated the above list to show who plays when. I have M603TTS going first, then SesnofWthr, since they have never played before. This will allow them to start off in the beginning when things are less complicated. Then I have Conqueror '91(me), then pindicator and rdomarat after that. If you have any problems with that, just tell me. And good luck, M603TTS!

This could get interesting, as I am a History major (really). The conditions above are fine with me. Not to make this too complicated, but an alternative to the French would be the Dutch. Like the French, they start with Alphabet, so a move towards Literature puts us in the picture for the GLib. The Agri trait is there (pop growth), and that Swiss Merc @ 1-4 can still pull it's weight defending against modern Cavalry in size 6+ cities. Plus it's half the shield cost 60 vs 30, more in line with what a defensive unit should cost. At least worthy of consideration.

Suppose now we can deal with a tech question. We're starting with V1.15, or wait for 1.20 per rdomarat's suggestion?

Personally, I'm a bit anxious to dive right in and then upgrade later, or in the middle of the game. However if you guys would rather wait, I can manage as I have a couple other games going.

After all, patience is a virtue....

Hate to throw a wrench into things, but I might have to drop out of this. My Conquests has begun crashing on me before it plays the intro movie -- reinstalling hasn't helped, and neither did about four hours of tinkering with settingings and updates last night, so I'm dutifully waiting for atari tech support to return my email. Their website says that usually takes four business days.

I'll leave it up to you how you'd like to proceed: you guys can find a replacement now for the peace of mind, or put me last on the list and if I haven't solved it by the time my turn comes up, you can choose to skip me or find a replacement then.

My comp's been acting up lately; I really should just reformat and start all over again... if only my brother hadn't taken and lost my Windows CD :cry:

I'd vote then to wait for the v1.20 patch then and see if pindicator can solve his computer problem before we get started and it's his turn.

PS : My name is Reg, which is way more personal than rdomarat.

Top Bottom