Blender tutorials

19Delta

Cavalry Scout
I haven't seen any tutorials for Blender, so I thought that I would take this opportunity to post some links, and maybe help out some of those aspiring unit creators out there that don't want to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on 3d modeling software.

Here is the link for Blender's main site. It is a free program that some say has the potential to be just as powerful as, if not more powerful, than programs like 3ds or c4d.

Blender tutorial main site

Blender user interface

Blender modeling

Blender lights

Blender rendering

Blender animation

Blender special effects

Blender materials

Miscellaneous

Lastly here is the tutorial that I used to learn how to use Blender. I found this on wikibooks and it worked very well for me. It takes you step by step on everything from the user interface to detailed animating and texturing that is comparable to some of the effects that you have probably seen in a Pixar movie. I haven't finished reading it yet, so I'm not very well versed in all of the applications that come with Blender. I have learned it to the point that I can make some pretty good models though. The rest of the wikibooks can be found here.

If anyone needs help, I will be happy to help where I can, but remember that my knowledge is still very limited. If you read the tutorials and follow them to the letter, then you should have no problem learning how to operate Blender.

I have already Blender 2.48a installed on my machine. Is upgrading making sense ?
At least when I really start working with Blender it will be from great help that this can be found here.

Thanks
General 666

Thanks for the several links.

Is Blender useful for making & exporting models that can be used on Poser? For example can it be used to make props to combine with the paperdoll?

I'm not familiar with Poser. I always miss the free Poser 5 download when it comes out. From what I've seen, the only limit is your imagination when it comes to making props. Every model that I've made has come from Blender, and I export it from there to Bryce. You can export it into a wide range of formats. I always use either 3ds or obj, but there are many more available. If Poser can import these formats, then I suppose that you can make stuff for Poser as well.

General: As far as the versions go, I'm not sure. I'm still using Blender version 2.42, but I may upgrade when I get my new computer. From what I can tell, the differences are only minor and a few functions have been automated or incorporated with other functions, but other than that, I'm not sure. The Blender project is still under development, so as time progresses, we may see it get even more advanced.

Thanks for the several links.

Is Blender useful for making & exporting models that can be used on Poser? For example can it be used to make props to combine with the paperdoll?

Poser uses obj so it sounds like Blender would be worth having in the tool kit. I'd like to have a program that I can use to make some of weird weapons, etc. for scenarios I'm working on.
Yes, you can make models then export to 3DS, Lightwave, etc. I don't know if .blend files can be opened directly by Poser.

Top Bottom