Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you guys now. Ottomans and in general Turks have played a major role in history. They have a founded big and powerful empires that lasted for long time. I guess we have to at least add one of the following:

Huns (BC 220 - AD 216)
Ottomans (AD 1299 - 1923)
Seljuklus (AD 1040-1157) - Roots of Ottomans
Golden Horde (AD 1227-1502)

History owes that to Turks. And if we are talking about greatest civilizations I guess there are only a couple of them:

Chinese
Turks
Roman
Greek Empire

And it is a shame that Ottomans or Turks are not in the original game...

hmm i would go with the basuqes to be houset, oldest spoken lanuage in europe, etc etc but again quite a small peoples may not have mass appeal

It might be just me... but I think adding a civ based on the number of potential consumers in that particular country is kinda shallow (ei, Canada, Australia... etc.)

The civ names are merely for marketing purposes. For all the basis in reality they have they might as well be called civ1, civ2, etc.

The names used also ignore the tendency of groups to merge, or morph into each other (another mod here?). For example the appearance and disappearance of the Mixtec and Zapotec civilizations in Americas and the suggestion that thier writing systems were inspired by the Chinese; or the Normans who invaded England in 1066 were themselves a mixture of French and Norse and fought against the Anglo Saxons who them selves were invaders who mixed with the exisiting mixture of Roman, English and 'Celtic' tribes (the concept of a Celtic nation apparently only dates from the 15th Century).

If we are going to have new versions, how about the Beaker People - the original settlers in Britain before the invasion of the tribes now called the Celts, or the separate kingdoms of China before their absorption by the Chi'in, or (and this could use lead to some interesting combat mods) the Neanderthals?

New Civs :-

Hebrews (special ability, unable to settle in lands not previously owned by someone else)

Irish (capital city must be named "New York")

Italians (must automatically completely surrender to first invading civ)

Belgians (Just so they can go and conquer the Congo)

Congo (see above)

Dutch (UU "The reefersmaewker" - spreads peace throughout other civs)

Australia (unable to build cultural improvements of any kind)

Wales ( UU " The sheepwarrior" (ok very bad pun)

Zulus (Unable to build anything but spearmen , upon meeting the English, the English may then build their second UU "The Michael Caine":"wait till you see the whites of their eyes boys"

Mexico (14,000,000 free workers at start of game , all to be gifted to US)

N.B. Please take all of the above with your tonque in your cheek as intended

Babylon, Vikings, The Celts, Carhtage (or perhaps Phoenicians), The Zulus, The Mayas, Turks (Ottomans)

Personally I aslo hope for Assyria, but they are a bit like the Babylonians (just so much more agressive)

Nilrim said:
How about a custom Civ? You pick the name, a leader, Civ traits, starting tecs and UU.

Not a bad idea, but it would be too tempting to play the same stats too often.

I would cerainly go for:
Financial, Industrious, Fast Worker, Hunting and Mysticism, which is Qui Shi Huang mixed with India and the Aztecs.

What would you go for?

Frostyboy said:
Not a bad idea, but it would be too tempting to play the same stats too often.

I would cerainly go for:
Financial, Industrious, Fast Worker, Hunting and Mysticism, which is Qui Shi Huang mixed with India and the Aztecs.

What would you go for?

Depends on what type of victory I am after as an example say I want to play for cultural vitory:
Industrious & Phil, one of the early militray units, Mining & Mysticism

I know the fast worker never goes obslite but heck build one or two more workers and you have made up for not having one.

I figure max of 8 per expansion pack

1. Babylonians -

2. Turks - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

3. Ethiopians - Hali Salasi

4. Iroquios - Hiawatha

5. Khmer

6. Scandinavia

7. Dutch

8. Mayans - Smoke Jaguar, I miss Smoke Jaguar.

New Leaders
England: Winston Churchill
Rome: Marcus Aurelius
Egypt: Rameses (whichever)
Spain: Franco
Russia: Joe Stalin...because it's more fun when you know you rival is a mass murderer!
USA: Andrew Jackson, or some more aggresive US leader

For the second one:

9- Celts

10- Carthage

11- Korea

12- Poland

13- Polynesians

14- Portugal

15- Zulu

16- Israel (Small, but hey, Judaism is in the game and every nation/group that fostered the other religions is there as a civ.)

New Leaders (now with new negative traits, making them more unpredictable and self destructive.)
USA: Nixon
Rome: Nero
England: Cromwell
Germany: Hit...er......never mind.

The Babylonians should definetly be in. Also the Dutch and the Vikings. I miss the Zulu too. As new Civs, perhaps the Sumerians, Ottomans, and Mayas

obviously its gotta be Vikings, Babylonians, Ottomans, and maybe Carthage. These are civilizations people have heard of, yet they still had a large impact on the world (or at least their area).:goodjob:

Personally, I would like to see more civilizations with modern special units, an example I thought of would be as follows:

Vietnam, with a special unit "Vietcong" which replaces the Marine.

I know this is probably not the best place to discuss other expansion ideas, but hear me out (as I have not got that far yet). I would like to see a special ability that makes your unit invisible to adjacent enemies while it hides in jungles or forest. This would make the "Vietcong" use the uses it was given in real life and add alot of depth to the game! A small country could still defeat an invading army if it played it's cards right. I would like to think that, an enemy unit moving into a square with an "invisible" unit instantly loses 25% - 50% of it's strength for the battle, and the invisible unit gains instantly the defense bonuses it gains on that tile. This way, Vietcong could start out with this special ability and it'd add alot of depth to the game. Just my two cents.

aaronflavor said:
I agree that there should be more modern special units. I think it would be good if all civs had both a pre-industrial UU and post-industrial UU.

I would rather all civs have an early UU that upgrade to 'more modern' UU with each new era. Just think of an alternate universe where the Romans maintained their power through out history, surely their UU would of evolved along with their Sci.

Flak Fox said:
Personally, I would like to see more civilizations with modern special units, an example I thought of would be as follows:

Vietnam, with a special unit "Vietcong" which replaces the Marine.

I know this is probably not the best place to discuss other expansion ideas, but hear me out (as I have not got that far yet). I would like to see a special ability that makes your unit invisible to adjacent enemies while it hides in jungles or forest. This would make the "Vietcong" use the uses it was given in real life and add alot of depth to the game! A small country could still defeat an invading army if it played it's cards right. I would like to think that, an enemy unit moving into a square with an "invisible" unit instantly loses 25% - 50% of it's strength for the battle, and the invisible unit gains instantly the defense bonuses it gains on that tile. This way, Vietcong could start out with this special ability and it'd add alot of depth to the game. Just my two cents.

I like this idea. Vietnam should be included, Ho chi min as leader, Vietcong as UU.

I would say Hebrews, not Isreal, longer history, and the possibility for when a city seccedes from a country, it can start a new country OR join a pre-existing country.

There has been some debate of Israeli vs. Hebrew

Hebrew would be more our cultural name, and Israel was the name of the land...

While people may not care which, i opt for Israeli, as it is a more modern term. After all we don't call France, Gaul....or Spain Hibernia, Turkey Anatolia....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom