Current (SVN) development discussion thread

How does it make the UP when I restrict its affect to particular civics?

Now that I realize that everyone gets free happiness from the culture slider I should maybe just remove that.
If you are going to restrict it make it limited to Autocracy and Republics.

Do you really want to spending weeks rebalancing the game to remove something from Vanilla Civ IV?

There are also still theatres and colosseums.

Since the TC conquerors are being rebalanced, what do you think of a second wave of conquerors representing the New Imperialism in the late 1800's? They could spawn with Steam Power, giving Britain troops in Egypt and France troops in Indochina. This would simulate historic colonization of these areas that are often unused in the later game.

I'd rather redirect the Congress mechanic to represent 19th century imperialism better.

I agree with recent comments that even more spawns would be too much.

If you are going to restrict it make it limited to Autocracy and Republics.

Do you really want to spending weeks rebalancing the game to remove something from Vanilla Civ IV?

Serious question: Does anyone use the culture slider for happiness? I mean, I use it when going for a culture-related UHV or domination, but otherwise? It's just blatantly unnecessary. Happiness is almost never an issue by the time the culture slider is available, and the lost commerce is not at all worth the happiness it provides considering you're unlikely to have more than one city at a time hitting the happy cap.

I sometimes use it in desperate wars to draft more.

Not that this is a common situation usually.

I'm new to the forum and want to thank Leoreth (and everyone else involved) for this outstanding mod - it's Civilization at its zenith as far as my tastes go.

This may have already been discussed - apologies if it has been. When playing the last SVN update (before 499) as the Mexicans from a 600AD start as Italy ... the Mexicans still had the Aztec ability to enslave units ... and also their cities where in an Aztec architectural style. Is this intended?

Thanks again.

So it's just me who used to play Huge Fractal Epic Immortal games with my homeboys Suleiman and Lincoln then.

n00b question: how do you change the player leaderhead? I want to play as Lincoln instead of Roosevelt; Suleiman instead of Mehmed, etc.

Leoreth, could you enable the player to select their leaderhead? Even if it's cosmetic it adds flavor.

I don't know if you know about this Leoreth but there are a couple of things with the stability bit maps that i think need fixing.

First you remember the mountains in northern Australia and now they appear as orange for England and the dutch when it is light green all around them.

Also in Spain why is tile 2 tiles E of the old Moorish capital classed as foreign core for Spain? I think it should be contested at least.

To make things easier on Iberia why don't we make all the cores there contested for the other civs (Spain, Portugal and Moors). Just an idea. It is hard to play as Portugal when Spain collapses and your culture takes over the area. This is not as much as Spain because there is less area that is foreign core. I know there is not really a historical reference but sometimes i think playability should overrule historical reference.

So it's just me who used to play Huge Fractal Epic Immortal games with my homeboys Suleiman and Lincoln then.

n00b question: how do you change the player leaderhead? I want to play as Lincoln instead of Roosevelt; Suleiman instead of Mehmed, etc.

Leoreth, could you enable the player to select their leaderhead? Even if it's cosmetic it adds flavor.

You need to open up the Worldbuilder scenario in Notepad+ and edit the leaders that each civ opens up with.
I've been doing this with GEM at least. I'm not sure how that will affect RFC though, considering the AI LHs are dynamic by civics and era.

I'm new to the forum and want to thank Leoreth (and everyone else involved) for this outstanding mod - it's Civilization at its zenith as far as my tastes go.

This may have already been discussed - apologies if it has been. When playing the last SVN update (before 499) as the Mexicans from a 600AD start as Italy ... the Mexicans still had the Aztec ability to enslave units ... and also their cities where in an Aztec architectural style. Is this intended?

Thanks again.
Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

You're right, I need to disable the Aztec UP for Mexico. Not sure what's going on with the city art, are you using the Ethnic City Styles module?

As TD said, open the scenario files and replace the leader tag in there. I wanted to make leaders selectable a while ago, but apparently that's only possible in free games, not scenarios. I might figure out some workaround at some point though.

I don't know if you know about this Leoreth but there are a couple of things with the stability bit maps that i think need fixing.

First you remember the mountains in northern Australia and now they appear as orange for England and the dutch when it is light green all around them.

Also in Spain why is tile 2 tiles E of the old Moorish capital classed as foreign core for Spain? I think it should be contested at least.
Yeah, there are various previous locations of peaks which are now ahistorical because I haven't updated the stability maps. I will fix all of that before release.

To make things easier on Iberia why don't we make all the cores there contested for the other civs (Spain, Portugal and Moors). Just an idea. It is hard to play as Portugal when Spain collapses and your culture takes over the area. This is not as much as Spain because there is less area that is foreign core. I know there is not really a historical reference but sometimes i think playability should overrule historical reference.
Foreign cores already are contested (or foreign core), so I don't know what you mean. Do you want it to prevent culture leaking into independent territory? That's actually a worthwhile change in general. The fact that a collapse inevitably leads to free city flips has always bothered me.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

You're right, I need to disable the Aztec UP for Mexico. Not sure what's going on with the city art, are you using the Ethnic City Styles module?

- Don’t know how to work this quote thingy – anyway ... I wasn't using any module - just the second most recent SVN version. I had changed the graphics settings to "low quality" thinking that this would speed up end of turn times (thinking about it now it doesn't make any difference does it). I also noticed that when idle my Rurales units appeared as Cuirassiers!?

Serious question: Does anyone use the culture slider for happiness? I mean, I use it when going for a culture-related UHV or domination, but otherwise? It's just blatantly unnecessary. Happiness is almost never an issue by the time the culture slider is available, and the lost commerce is not at all worth the happiness it provides considering you're unlikely to have more than one city at a time hitting the happy cap.

Nope, can't remember the last time I used the cultural slider to happiness. Just to crank up the cultural borders expansion rate.

- Don’t know how to work this quote thingy – anyway ... I wasn't using any module - just the second most recent SVN version. I had changed the graphics settings to "low quality" thinking that this would speed up end of turn times (thinking about it now it doesn't make any difference does it). I also noticed that when idle my Rurales units appeared as Cuirassiers!?
Okay, I'll see what's going on.

. I also noticed that when idle my Rurales units appeared as Cuirassiers!?
Most unit creators don't care about Animations Frozen option, which has that result.

Foreign cores already are contested (or foreign core), so I don't know what you mean. Do you want it to prevent culture leaking into independent territory? That's actually a worthwhile change in general. The fact that a collapse inevitably leads to free city flips has always bothered me.

As you can see on the stability bit maps the Moors, Portugal and Spain have red tiles in Iberia representing the un contested cores of the respective civs. When playing as Portugal is can be a pain if Spain collapses or you are just owning them with culture and your culture spills onto these tiles that are not contested and can upset the stability for your civ. I am asking that there be no red tiles in Iberia for the Moors, Spain and Portugal and all cores there are changed to contested so that there are no longer any red tiles in the region for these three civs.

On a completely different note. I played the 600 AD start today as Spain. When it came time for Mexico and Argentina spawn I could not change to Argentina. The two widows would pop up but no matter what i did I would change to Mexico or stay as Spain. First i clicked on the don't play s Mexico button and clicked on the play as Argentina button and it just changed me to Mexico. There would appear to be a bug here.

As you can see on the stability bit maps the Moors, Portugal and Spain have red tiles in Iberia representing the un contested cores of the respective civs. When playing as Portugal is can be a pain if Spain collapses or you are just owning them with culture and your culture spills onto these tiles that are not contested and can upset the stability for your civ. I am asking that there be no red tiles in Iberia for the Moors, Spain and Portugal and all cores there are changed to contested so that there are no longer any red tiles in the region for these three civs.
I would rather prevent the easy expansion of your culture into independent terrain than arbitrarily change their stability maps to accomodate this specific scenario.

On a completely different note. I played the 600 AD start today as Spain. When it came time for Mexico and Argentina spawn I could not change to Argentina. The two widows would pop up but no matter what i did I would change to Mexico or stay as Spain. First i clicked on the don't play s Mexico button and clicked on the play as Argentina button and it just changed me to Mexico. There would appear to be a bug here.
I'll take a look at that.

Leoreth, thank you for a great mod that just keeps getting better.

I tried a game as France today using the latest SVN, and something strange happened. Cities all across the world kept flipping to me every now and then. Not a lot, but I think I got Herat, Dushung and one more. All of them were a long ways aways, so I am a bit confused here as I thougth cities only flip to you if you have culture in them.

Could be a fluke, but I just wanted to check if this was the new French superpower :)

I've already figured out what it is (even though I don't really understand it), it'll only take a while until I have rewritten everything.

Edit: fix is committed.

Top Bottom