[MERGE] KROME Beta: K-Mod 1.31 and RoM 1.03 Extended

Isabelxxx

Prince
KROME: K-Mod 1.31 and RoM 1.03 Extended

Original comments by jtanner28. As you may know he is know resurrecting the development of AND, and now I get this to continue being developed.

Spoiler :
(See this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463918 )

Hi there CivFanatics!

I was reading along in another thread and got interested in trying to merge K-Mod 1.31 with RoM 1.03 Extended. It's my first modmerge and I think it went OK. I know that there may be a couple of bugs, but this is just a beta release. Please feel free to tear it to little bits! :D

By the way, the mod's name is KROME (K-Mod Rise of Mankind Extended).

My future plans for it are to incorporate some of the features of AND, the civics scrolling screen, possibly some SDK changes (passable mountains, for instance), and a few other features. I don't want to make too many changes because my primary goal is a kind of K-Mod powered RoM:AND Lite that will play on low-end machines. I do not intend to incorporate REVDCM or anything that will exceed my ability to maintain.

Please try this mod out and let me know what you think.

Credit for all of the content goes to Zappara, Karadoc, Afforess and the contributors to their mods. I just mushed the files together. Credit also to Mattygerst for the idea (although his idea is a bit more refined :) ).

IMPORTANT!!!
Just to let you know, this is still in development but now Jtanner will be alone until 15 september.

I do still work in KROME and want to continue with the project but an accumulation of personal & computer problems have lead me to the inactivity...

My GPU has recently died and I can't play a game more than a few minutes and windows have some serious problems since it randomly closes programs at some point.
I'm also preparing my next course as physics major before I already planned because of some changes in the calendar, so I will be free (and back) from 15 september to 1 october but now this is hell.

I'm sorry about these things, but I can not do so much... except upload to the repository the things I already did.

I have told Jtanner to continue the development until I come back and we can work together.

This is a merge K-Mod 1.35 with RoM 1.03 Extended. KROME (K-Mod Rise of Mankind Extended).

What's new?

From the last jtanner28's version up to now there has been released a new patch (0.85 B) which has updated K-Mod core from 1.31 to 1.35, included some bug fixes and game options changed.
The primary goal is a kind of K-Mod powered RoM:AND Lite which should maintain in the future the spirit of the "old & good" ROM versions.

KROME 0.85 + PATCH 0.85b

• Download the last version of KROME (0.85) and then the patch.
  • Install the original 0.85 version first and then copy the contents of the patch zip file into the "KROME" mod folder.
  • Overwrite all, in other words, just apply the patch.
  • This is only a patch, original mod required!!

Source code included.

Code:
0.85b

*Updated with K-mod 1.35

*Just plain Rome 1.03 with K-mod, no other mod-mods:
	*No Advanced Diplomacy 2 --> Require some changes to work with new version!
	*Multiple Research Modcomp --> Will be added later
	*Multiple Production Modcomp --> Will be added later
	*Hard ship mod disabled by default --> It can be enabled via "KROME GLOBALS"

*KROME GLOBALS: "Go to KROME\Assets\Python\CvEventManager.py" file, look for "KROME GLOBALS" and change the variables to enable/disable some features.
	*bHardship = False #Enable\Disable hardship features (false as default, adds too much lag)

*KROME Worldsize Types: Now the new worldsize types are REALLY WORKING (before this update, the game would start and load the map without giving errors but the map size selected was not being really used but the default one!). For that changes have been done to the DLL and all the map script files. If more maps are used, those map scripts NEED TO BE EDITED.
	*Giant
	*Gigantic
	*Look for #KROME Worlsize Types in Public map files and //KROME Worldsize Types in the source code.

*Map Scripts Updated: to consider the new worldsize types. (all BTS vanilla maps not listed here will work without more changes)
	Arboria.py
	Boreal.py
	Donut.py
	Earth2.py
	Global_Highlands.py
	Highlands.py
	Rainforest.py
	RandomScriptMap.py
	Team_Battleground.py
	Terra.py

Future plans about the development

I'm really considering start from scratch with a clean version. That's said, revise slowly all the KROME versions, take what is needed, revise that the code really works as it should be, assure that merging ROME with K-Mod really works in all aspects, etc.
If JT will not continue with this, I need to really be aware what has been done here. So don't worry too much about problems, but report them and I will do what I can sooner or later.
There are 2 points to consider:
I probably will need help with some things, like testing, XML balance, etc. any help is appreciated.
I'm really unsure about heavily mod the SDK, since K-Mod is constantly changing and at some point we have to choose if we want last K-Mod version or just I do my own improvements...

Thisis a small list about what will come:

Solve the remaining bugs, and add the things commented up to the date.
Create a new download thread.
Don't upload a Clean Mod version yet, but a complete version. I mean, I merge the last KROME version with the patches with the previous considerations. A clean version would come later.
Upload all files to SVN, so anyone can test during development.

Have in mind that all these patch are temporal, but I need it to get feedback!

Next patch features

Create some game options to activate/deactivate some mod-mods features.
Enable factories and fix the bugs with jungle camps and icons in city screen.
Some tweaks in religions.
Bugs with callbacks defines.

See detailed list here.

Feedback and help
I currently need some comments about what happens with the factory mod. Is it unbalanced? Should I just add it to the game as default (without option to disable it)?

Essentially I would want to hear feedback about things that can be changed in the XML: things that can be work in certain features or bonuses but should not be there (the JC for ex.), unit balance, etc. since these things will be ready to be merged for a future clean release without extra work. Things that require DLL changes will be left for now (except some really simple that I have already written for ex.)

Could regular users create a list of all these suggestions, as well as the bugs you have found? I don't mind if it's a long list, but I really want to track all the things to do easily.

This also applies to any other use, just collect all the bugs, things not working as intended or new simple features (advanced features will be added later) and send me a PM or write them here. So I can easily found them without reading through posts. It would really simplify the work required until I create a new thread for starting the new development.

Other thing in which I would be interested in would be new units. I do think that diversity in units is great, specially give diversity for different nations, naval and air units. So if anyone thinks there are some interesting units which fits here (doesn't break balance or mod stability and is not just another unit without logic), go ahead and suggest them or help me with the XML part (it's really easy, and I could give some help if needed)

Credit for all of the content goes to Zappara, Karadoc, Afforess, Jtanner28 and the contributors to their mods. Also to Mattygerst for the idea.

KROME Patch 0.85B Change Notes
Spoiler :
08/02/12
0.85b

*Updated with K-mod 1.35

*Just plain Rome 1.03 with K-mod, no other mod-mods:
*No Advanced Diplomacy 2 --> Require some changes to work with new version!
*Multiple Research Modcomp --> Will be added later
*Multiple Production Modcomp --> Will be added later
*Hard ship mod disabled by default --> It can be enabled via "KROME GLOBALS"

*KROME GLOBALS: "Go to KROME\Assets\Python\CvEventManager.py" file, look for "KROME GLOBALS" and change the variables to enable/disable some features.
*bHardship = False #Enable\Disable hardship features (false as default, adds too much lag)

*KROME Worldsize Types: Now the new worldsize types are REALLY WORKING (before this update, the game would start and load the map without giving errors but the map size selected was not being really used but the default one!). For that changes have been done to the DLL and all the map script files. If more maps are used, those map scripts NEED TO BE EDITED.
*Giant
*Gigantic
*Look for #KROME Worlsize Types in Public map files and //KROME Worldsize Types in the source code.

*Map Scripts Updated: to consider the new worldsize types. (all BTS vanilla maps not listed here will work without more changes)
Arboria.py
Boreal.py
Donut.py
Earth2.py
Global_Highlands.py
Highlands.py
Rainforest.py
RandomScriptMap.py
Team_Battleground.py
Terra.py

KROME Beta 0.85 Change Notes
Spoiler :
07/29/12
07/29/12
1.) K-Mod base code updated to 1.32
2.) Integrated Advanced Diplomacy 2
3.) Separated all religions out to dead-end techs with high research costs
4.) Moved Christianity to be dependent on Theology
5.) Made later religions dependent on earlier ones in a roughly historical fashion
6.) Added in Multiple Research Modcomp
7.) Added in Multiple Production Modcomp (may be buggy)
8.) Added the terrain Hardship mod. (need some work on this one. The hover text for terrain plots doesn't show how much damage the terrain does. I set it to 15% I think. It can be changed in the XML.)

Known Bugs:

1.)The promotions in the pedia are borked. I'll look into it as soon as I can and try to drop a hotfix. FIXED (Reverted two files: CvPediaPromotion.py and CvPediaBonus.py to their original files from RoM 1.03)

2.) Terrain doesn't show how much damage it does in the hover text.

3.) Multiple production cannot be turned off... lol. I messed up the merge. I'll see what I can figure out.

KROME Beta 0.8 Change Notes
Spoiler :
06/27/12
Fixed the Pedia bug
Fixed all startup bugs
Added back the Industry improvements
Fixed multiple XML errors (probable cause of CTD's)

KROME Beta 0.7 Change Notes
Spoiler :
06/26/12

Fixed startup bugs Still there.. :mad:
Found and eliminated the cause of several CTD's
Temporarily disabled extra features of RoM 1.03 Extended. It will all be back by version 0.8.
ADDED: Map Decay feature. Visibility will fade off for tiles that are not actively within the field of view of a unit or city. Effect lessens at Writing and goes away completely at Paper.

KROME Beta 0.6 Change Notes
Spoiler :
06/24/12

Added a scrolling civics screen (credit: strategyonly)
Added Espionage Process (available at tech PAPER) (credit: deanej)
Minor UI alterations
Fixed Diplomacy Text bug
Set city wonder limit to "unlimited"

I will download and check it out when I have a chance. The file is pretty small compared to most of the big mods?

Just so I understand, is this basically RoM lite with superior AI and faster turn speed from K-mod? Wish it had Revolutions in it.... it is going to be hard to tear me away from my current stable build using AND 1.75C unless there is something really compelling.

Feedback so far:

The game seems stable. It froze only once when a great merchant was born, otherwise very stable.

The ai is fantastic compared to anything that I've played.

The turns are fast, even on huge maps with 20 plus players for me

The diplomatic greeting text seems to be missing for all leaders?

Many of the new pictures for the technologies are missing, but I suppose that's because it's an older ROM.

It would be nice to build more than 4 wonders per city...is there a quick fix to make this so?

Personally, I don't feel that the alternate unique units add anything to the civs, and if they slow the game down at all, it's probably best to let them go.

Some of the techs don't make sense...literature founding Christianity, for example.

Speaking of religion, is there a chance that we can add some of the others in?

All in all, very fun so far, thank you for making this available, and I'll keep trying it! :)

I will download and check it out when I have a chance. The file is pretty small compared to most of the big mods?

Just so I understand, is this basically RoM lite with superior AI and faster turn speed from K-mod? Wish it had Revolutions in it.... it is going to be hard to tear me away from my current stable build using AND 1.75C unless there is something really compelling.

The file size is small because the version of RoM that I merged is quite old. Later revisions had Blue Marble Graphics, additional Leader heads, new wonder movies, etc. Some of that may be added in the future, but for now I'm shooting for "Lite".

Yep, you nailed it. This is intended to be a lite version of RoM with a very strong AI. I chose RoM 1.03 Extended because its Pre-WoC and used the original BTS dll. Adapting it to K-Mod is much easier than attempting to merge the current RoM dll with K-Mod's dll. The differences between them are vast and it's currently beyond my skillset to get the AI to understand and use things like REVDCM or some of the other large game-altering SDK mods.

Feedback so far:

The game seems stable. It froze only once when a great merchant was born, otherwise very stable.

The ai is fantastic compared to anything that I've played.

The turns are fast, even on huge maps with 20 plus players for me

The diplomatic greeting text seems to be missing for all leaders?

Many of the new pictures for the technologies are missing, but I suppose that's because it's an older ROM.

It would be nice to build more than 4 wonders per city...is there a quick fix to make this so?

Personally, I don't feel that the alternate unique units add anything to the civs, and if they slow the game down at all, it's probably best to let them go.

Some of the techs don't make sense...literature founding Christianity, for example.

Speaking of religion, is there a chance that we can add some of the others in?

All in all, very fun so far, thank you for making this available, and I'll keep trying it! :)

Thank you so much for the feedback. The stability, AI strength, and turn speed are all a credit to the excellence of K-Mod. Just out of curiousity, what are your system specs?

The missing diplomacy texts are probably a merging error. I'll take a look and see if I can fix it. The pics for technologies are very likely due to using this older version of RoM as a content base. I do intend on altering the tech tree to make more sense and removing the extra UU's in the future. I'll also go in and remove the Wonder limit. It's easy to do.

As far as new content (new units, buildings, religions, etc), I do intend to add content in the future. My main goal right now is to squish bugs and tighten everything up a bit before adding too much. This version is a beta and a proof-of-concept experiment. If the K-Mod dll plays correctly and makes intelligent strategic decisions with all the RoM content then I'll move forward with additions. The goal here is quality of gameplay. I don't want to rush so fast to new content that I build up a massive bug list.

I guess I'll designate this version as Beta 0.5 and shoot for substantially bug-free by version 1.0. Although I may add small new feature before that, the larger additions will be after 1.0. Some of the first things I want to add is the Mastery Victory, the scrolling civics screen, and a modified AND options screen.

@jtanner28,
D/L'ing right now! And I'm Very Very Pleased that you chose RoM1.03 Extended. Early RoM with Jungle Camp added in. :) No WOC, No REV, just Good Ol' Base RoM. And Base RoM 1.03 will play on any computer that can play CIV IV Vanilla.

D/L just finished! Here we go! :woohoo::dance::banana:

JosEPh :)

Edit:
kiwi lifter wrote:It would be nice to build more than 4 wonders per city...is there a quick fix to make this so?
Yes!, give me a couple of hours and I'll have the place in the xml files that you change the number.

Edit #2: Got a CTD around 1750BC when I went to load the last autosave got this error Msg (see screenshot). Not sure what to make of it. But because I got in a hurry to play I didn't make any regular saves so all I have are Autosaves, which all give this error. My Bad for being excited to play my old favorite with an improved AI that K-Mod gives.

EDIT:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96139352/KROME.85.7z New link
EDIT:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96139352/KROME_PATCH_0.85b.zip New Link for patch b

EDIT #3https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96139352/Rise of Mankind 1.03.rar Link for RoM 1.03 without k-mod added in.

Some more feedback:

The Civapedia doesn't seem to be working...when I click on a category, nothing happens.

Unit moves seem to be hanging. A unit will move, and then stay selected until I give it an order, even though it has no move points.

I'm getting random freezes with Kmer, moving elephants..not sure why :0

system: Toshiba Lap top, 64bit os, 8gb ram, Intel 7 2.2, 1gb graphics....This system gets very slow with later ROM after the middle ages, so it's good to compare how this mod runs at that point in time.

The wonders variable is in

..../assets/xml/globaldefines.xml

change the value inside:

<Define>
<DefineName>MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>5</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Thank you, Cykur!

Note: When the map starts, I am getting the following message, along with some other stuff (but I can't find a way to take screen shots)

"Bugini civscreens interface failed

BugConfig - Failure Parsing.......................................and so on."

And, lots and lots of crashes....most recently while taking a city, but also while opening the world builder.

Note: When the map starts, I am getting the following message, along with some other stuff (but I can't find a way to take screen shots)

Did you try the Print Screen button on key board? Should be next to Insert and Pause/Break buttons.

JosEPh

Well, it looks like there are several issues that I need to troubleshoot. :) I'll see why I can do to clear up that startup bug and the other bugs listed here this weekend.

Did you try the Print Screen button on key board? Should be next to Insert and Pause/Break buttons.

JosEPh

Yes, but print screen doesn't work, nor f11, nor any of the screen capture software that I downloaded to try and get a pic of this :crazyeye:

I'm connected to a projector, which may be the reason?

How big of a screen? I once hooked my computer up to our 46" Flat screen tv, but the wife wouldn't let me hog it to play BtS on it. ;) It was rather cool though. :)

JosEPh

It takes up about half of the wall of my room ;)

I haven't had any error messages other than the start up one, just random type freezes that seem to come without rime or reason. This mod is very fun, though. The improves ai makes a great deal of difference. Let's keep refining!

I haven't had any error messages other than the start up one, just random type freezes that seem to come without rime or reason. This mod is very fun, though. The improves ai makes a great deal of difference. Let's keep refining!

YAY! I'm glad you like it. BTW, I've fixed one of the startup errors and the diplomacy text problem. Still working on some other bugs. Are you still having a problem with the Civilopedia?

Also, what do you think, should I remove all the extra UU's and UB's? And are there any other changes that you think would recommend?

EDIT: New version posted! I updated the OP with change notes and the most recent version: KROME Beta 0.6. Again, feedback would be great! :)

What are you doing to get past the random freezes?

JosEPh

Are there any common conditions that accompany the freezes? Is it just a complete freeze or a CTD? About how often are they occurring? Any data you can provide would be helpful to try to track it down and fix it. My current suspicion centers around random events. I read in the old revision notes that RoM had a problem with events at one time. Are you playing with events enabled?

I registered just to encourage you to continue this project: I love RoM and AND, but I find them almost impossible to play for any length of time because of the delay between turns. If you can fix that by combining them with K-Mod, you'd be my hero.

I did try the Beta out for a bit - Earth3, Marathon - and, unfortunately, always CTDed before I got to far into the game. I tried both Random Events both on and off. Most of the CTDs were because of actions not in my control, but accessing Worldbuilder after a time seemed to cause it pretty regularly. Also, just a note: Civpedia seems to be unaccessible.

I registered just to encourage you to continue this project: I love RoM and AND, but I find them almost impossible to play for any length of time because of the delay between turns. If you can fix that by combining them with K-Mod, you'd be my hero.

I did try the Beta out for a bit - Earth3, Marathon - and, unfortunately, always CTDed before I got to far into the game. I tried both Random Events both on and off. Most of the CTDs were because of actions not in my control, but accessing Worldbuilder after a time seemed to cause it pretty regularly. Also, just a note: Civpedia seems to be unaccessible.

Well, that's something to go on at least. I may try to get ahold of the K-Mod SDK and build a debug dll. Otherwise it's going to be tough to find the CTD cause. I'll go back through my merge and see if it's anything obvious. Can someone upload a save file that appears to have a repeatable CTD so that I can hunt for clues please?

Top Bottom