Next War's depleting resources

tranx

Civilized
Are the resources only depleting in the Next War scenario or would this feature also be present in a Next War custom game?

Also I want to disable the limit on nukes (in Next War, you can only launch so many nukes before the Earth explodes). Someone told me to edit the mod's CvEventManager.py file and change the limit to something big, but when I do so I can't save the file, access is denied. I'm pretty sure I have admin rights on this computer though, so I don't know what to do.

The idea is to play a long game with an apocalyptic ending, where global warming turns Earth into a big desert and futuristic armies fight deadly wars to secure the last remaining resources while people die by the millions in starving cities :)

Resources aren't depleting at all, they left that out in the final version but forgot to edit the description.

As for the limit on nukes you should deactivate User Account Control, restart your PC, and then edit the eventmanager file and reactivate UAC.

Resources aren't depleting at all, they left that out in the final version but forgot to edit the description.

That's too bad, I sure liked the idea. In ROM: AND there is an option in the BUG mode to enable depleting resources, but the feature is poorly implemented imo: all resources of one kind disappear at the very same turn, without any prior warning.

As for the limit on nukes you should deactivate User Account Control, restart your PC, and then edit the eventmanager file and reactivate UAC.

Will do that. Thanks for the answer!

The way I see resource depletion working is quite simple actually:

After having been worked for X turns (*) each source of non-renewable resource (**) is subject to depletion.
X +1 turn: 1% chance of depletion
X + 2 turns: 2% chance of depletion
X + 3 turns: 3% chance of depletion...

and so on, making depletion ineluctable. When depletion effectively hits, the player would first get a message : "our source of [said resource] near [city's name] will be depleted in 10 turns", leaving room for the player to adjust his strategy.

Random events giving you new source of resource could be more frequent, and there could be new events where new veins of said resource are found in a once depleted source.

OTOH, food resources, as well as elephants, horses, or "plant" resources (wine, bananas, silk, sugar...) would completely disappear when tile is hit by global warming.

(*) To be determined by game speed and lateness of resource's appearance on the map (oil would get fewer turns of exploitation than copper)

(**) stone, marble, gold, silver, gems, copper, iron, coal, oil, aluminium, uranium...

Anyway, I've never tried to make any mod and I really can't afford the time to learn about this.
Could I at least change the XML to let global warming kill the resources on the tiles it hits? Shouldn't be a very big change to make but I don't know where to look.

Right, that makes sense. It's basically like a cottage in reverse. The more you work it, the quicker it changes. Cottages grow to towns, and resources eventually get used up. Should be able to work within the framework of the game.

Hmm... the depletion of resources is a good idea, but eventually ALL resources would be used up completely, meaning that you couldn't build tanks, planes, battleships, nukes, etc.

Thus making your remaining units all the more precious, and fitting the apocalyptic ending I'm calling for. I like it!

Given that some very remote resources would not be used until late game, the eventuality of all resources being used up would not arise until very very far into late game, when most terrain would already have turned into desert anyway. The idea of having to wage wars with loin-cloth warriors again, with the very dreaded tank or plane unit making occasional appearances on the battleground, sounds very appealing to me.

Well technically speaking, each of your mines have a small (moddable) % chance of discovering a resource, so its not like its the absolute end of the world. Although a (1*8/10,000) chance isn't particularly high.... :lol:

Top Bottom