Hall of Fame

Peaster

Emperor
Thanks to some anonymous moderator (DoM?) for finishing work on the GOTM HOF. Congrats to Grigor for the highest total among active players (behind Smash). :goodjob:

As far as I can tell, you get 3 points for a gold medal, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze, 0.25 for a green or silver star, and 0.15 for finishing an OCC.

BTW - GOTM 47 results are posted (but the "latest results" link still goes to 46).

Well, I have a lot of results, and some that are pretty good, but I am very impressed by Lafayette's 7 earliest finishes and Mercurios' indefatigable 13 high scores. And among current posters, OldnSlow's 3 gold medals is the leader. I suspect that nobody will catch Starlifter's 6 gold medals for a while. And I hope the irreprssible Smash is still alive and well, wherever he is. I still am basically using his early conquest plan most of the time.

Maybe Smash will speak for himself - I have seen him post in the forums a few times recently (but he never answers my questions!!). I started playing GOTMs after he quit them, so I am not sure I know his EC strategy. Can anybody suggest an old thread for this? Is his plan essentially the "normal" strategy in my EC guide? For some reason, I thought he used knights instead of ellies and cru's, but that's probably a minor difference.

I wonder if we could have a separate HOF that includes only GOTMs from the last year or so. This would give more people some hope of getting near the top. On the other hand, it's not clear that many people would care, and it might also be a lot of work for the GOTM staff.

Peaster, in parctice it works like that because most players fade away after a while so their score remains constant. I discovered this site when GOTM16 was on and I joined immediately. Back then Matrix was in charge of GOTMs. Few of the active players back then are active now. I submitted GOTMs 16 through 24 (though 16 never got officially recorded and I never found out why despite asking); could not get the lovely GOTM25 done in time (it was another game on earth where we started in new Zealand, I still regret not finishing that one); and faded away till GOTM40.

Just checked the Hall of Fame, which currently reflects games up to #149. I see you have exactly 50 gold, silver and bronze, a considerable milestone I would have riotously applauded in the manner of we-love-the-president had I noticed it before. (Peaster also has exactly 50.)

I note the untiring mercurios does have 52 blue stars, but the rest of us in the current "core" are grouped way behind (and closing on the moderator's 21): haleewud=20, Major_Advantage=16, Inkerman=17.
Thanks for the praise. Of course in no small part it is due to the fact that I have been playing GOTMs much longer than the rest of our current core group.

Mercurios games are unbelievable. I once looked at one of his submissions. He terraforms the whole world and builds many large cities with all the amenities. He has been playing for a long time but curiously enough never participates in any forum discussions. His 52 blue stars are even more impressive when you notice the fact that the next highest number of blue stars is 11.

Peaster joined later than I did but he was active during some of my absences. Of course, recently he has gone into a long absence of his own (with occasional appearances). I am now very close to displacing him as the long time leader of the Hall of fame. In fact, given how far behind the Hall of fame updates are (11 GOTMs compared to the ones past their submission deadline) I may have already displaced him.

Thanks for the praise. Of course in no small part it is due to the fact that I have been playing GOTMs much longer than the rest of our current core group.

Mercurios games are unbelievable. I once looked at one of his submissions. He terraforms the whole world and builds many large cities with all the amenities. He has been playing for a long time but curiously enough never participates in any forum discussions. His 52 blue stars are even more impressive when you notice the fact that the next highest number of blue stars is 11.

Peaster joined later than I did but he was active during some of my absences. Of course, recently he has gone into a long absence of his own (with occasional appearances). I am now very close to displacing him as the long time leader of the Hall of fame. In fact, given how far behind the Hall of fame updates are (11 GOTMs compared to the ones past their submission deadline) I may have already displaced him.

:).I looked too now at submissions,I like this style,real player with more patience....
' The whole world'.. In the ice barriers more places with fish,furs,whales,etc,good places for cities to increase the score :)),wait for GOTM163...

It seems mercurios also fights great wars, at least sometimes, and sets up a lot of trade routes. There is little time to spare with posting to spoilers. Maybe there isn't a lot of logging going on either. But if catalin is going to play the long style of game, perhaps we will hear more about that sort of game?

It seems mercurios also fights great wars, at least sometimes, and sets up a lot of trade routes. There is little time to spare with posting to spoilers. Maybe there isn't a lot of logging going on either. But if catalin is going to play the long style of game, perhaps we will hear more about that sort of game?

'He has been playing for a long time but curiously enough never participates in any forum discussions.'

A big 'mouth' or a little 'mouth' in this site does not reflect the quality of the player..
Every player with a style,but in the maps,GOTM's or not, can win quickly or hard,long time,depends.I have a 'bad' experience in other game,Civ IV BTS big dificulty,I reload the start of the map more times,no chances,a player AI(a good leader,industrious,etc) have the capital with gold tile near river,more science....,can't win.Too in Civ II can have bad luck..
Anyway,I'm happy:),Mercurios plays nice.. and here is a circle of friends,in 2015 playing the old Civ II...,big fun:)

I congratulate Major_Advantage on climbing to 4th in the HOF table, four years after joining. I've much enjoyed your posts over that time, including the occasional little buried treasure. And I think, at the risk of causing embarrassment, the high proportion of wins reflects considerable expertise and probably a slight "edge" over us other regulars. At least in anything close to a "normal" game (I know you are not so keen on scenarios.) If I might pick one thing out it would be your ability to best manage the choice of government.

I think there is already enough in the pipeline for 3rd, and as a bonus, a first blue star.

1st and 2nd are probably safe though, unless we keep this going longer than I expect!
Congratulations Indeed. And not just to Major, but also to other current active players Inkerman (7th), haleewud (8th), and mercurios (12) for getting into the top 12. With grigor back playing and with Magic_Gorter hopefully getting back into playing soon now that he has significantly reduced the grading backlog, the competition for top spots will be intense and fun to watch.

Finally, I hope to see some of our new comer's names in the hall of fame soon.

Wow, thanks for embarrasing me! ;)
I would not say it was considerable expertise and probably a slight "edge" that brought me there. Mostly it was timing, playing at a time when there is less competition than there used to be, quite often there is a star for every participant nowadays. And being kind of conservative when it comes to playing games: Why going for something new when the old games are still so much fun play? Anyone remember Chip's Challenge, Death Rally or Spaceward Ho!? I stll play them every no and then, using DosBox (and a win 3.11 emulator for DosBox).
And sometimes I chose an anti-cyclical strategy, such as going for a big-score-game when I expected all others to go for an early game, OCC of EC.

What considerable expertise is, I think we would see if solo or samson would join here. We had a glimpse of that when starlifter was joining here.

Mostly it was timing, playing at a time when there is less competition than there used to be, quite often there is a star for every participant nowadays.
While it is true that there are far fewer people playing nowadays, it is also the case that those who are playing are super players and very tough to beat. The competition is still intense. Back when upwards of 20 people were playing, over half had no chance of playing a competitive game.
Anyone remember Chip's Challenge, Death Rally or Spaceward Ho!?
I am great fan of Spaceward Ho! and still play it occasionally on my mac. (Have not heard of the other ones you mentioned.) My other old favorites are Strategic Conquest, Risk, and Warlords.
What considerable expertise is, I think we would see if solo or samson would join here. We had a glimpse of that when starlifter was joining here.
It would be fun to have them return, but I bet you Peaster can beat them all in a head to head competition.

That is hard to pass by ...

1) I once asked who was the greatest Civ2 player of all time and LaFayette responded with samson. I never met him but I do find this answer believable. He figured out a lot of the mysterious game mechanics in the early days and found several ways to "break the game" with crazy 1AD OCC's and the like. As far as I know, he was not very interested in normal strategies, or in score-based comparison games like our GOTMs. So, we might have a chance against him.

2) I did play against solo a few times at Apolyton. He was both a scientist like samson and a player like us, though he was always experimenting and chatting and was not super-competitive about winning. As I recall, he was way better than me at OCC and most probably EL as well, but I had in edge in EC games and probably in a GOTM.

3) I never really met Smash, but I feel he contributed a lot to EC and GOTM strategy and would be a real threat if he returned (and studied a bit). It seems he was not as popular as Starlifter, maybe because he didn't write up his ideas as well, or because Starlifter beat him head-to-head a few times. But IMO his style was more sustainable and arguably better.

4) Ali, congratulations again on #1 in the HOF, and welcome to the elite circle. I will not embarrass you by analyzing your game too much, but you have clearly found an effective and sustainable style of play for GOTMs. I suspect it is based somewhat on Starlifter's ideas, but improved through years of practice.

5) The current cohort seems much stronger than most players from say 2002-2012 and maybe their names already belong on any list of great players. I am probably a bit behind the times. Of course, there are too many other great players to mention, some near the top of our HOF (grigor, magic ...) and some that the youngsters may not have even heard of (slowthinker, zenon, daveV...).

(10 years ago.) I wonder if we could have a separate HOF that includes only GOTMs from the last year or so.

There were 11 games in calendar year 2014 (no October game) and thanks to Magic's efforts reducing the backlog for scoring I can report a summary.
Code:
Player            Gold    Silver   Bronze   Green    Blue
Ali_Ardavan         5       1        4        1        1
Major_Advantage     2       5        1        2        1
Prof Garfield       2                         2
haleewud            1       2        3        2        3
Inkerman            1       3        3        2        2
mercurios                                              4
Peaster                                       1
grigor                                        1

Experienced players Professor Garfield, mercurios, Peaster and grigor only occasionally send in files. When they do they tend to get the award(s) they aim for.

I've updated The Hall of Fame.

We've got a new number one. Congratz AliArdavan.
Thank you Magic. Peaster was number one for years and would have still likely been there had he kept playing regularly.

Congratulations Indeed. And not just to Major, but also to other current active players Inkerman (7th), haleewud (8th), and mercurios (12) for getting into the top 12.
The above comment is from 6 weeks and a few scores ago. Besides a new number one, we have Major Advantage advancing from 4th to 3rd, and Inkerman from 7th to 5th. Congrats to all active players.

Positions 3, 4, and 5 are extremely close and all held by active players. The roster will probably change with each new posting.

Top Bottom