Your Civ Environment

I guess that if You have 2 monitors (now I see why people have more than 1) and enough RAM You can play another game on the second monitor like FPS, racing, maybe even something online just waiting for the AI's in Civ make their turns !!!! :D

btw. Is it possible to open 8 different instances of CIV for each core ? :think: or play CIV 1,2,3 and 4 simultaneously on 4 monitors ! :D

Good question! I know I've accidentally opened other games while Civ3 is in the background before, to no ill effect. I haven't tried having, say, Civ3 full-screen on one monitor and Civ4 full screen on another so you could play both without alt-tabbing between them, though.

Hey Vincentz I know you have super-setup since You have posted pictures - Have You actually tried to play multiple games at the same time on this setup ? :)

edit : I mean like CIV 4 + Quake (for example) ant then some more ? :)

btw. Is it possible to open 8 different instances of CIV for each core ?

Yes. I used to run 3 different versions of Civilization IV a long time ago: one with 1.74, one with 3.13, and one with 3.19. I'd have them all open at the same time, but they were installed in different directories.

The problem I have is that it takes three years for me to alt-tab out of a game of civ IV, and my computer is quite good. Also, whenever I accidentally alt-tab to civ IV it takes sooooo long to go back to the desktop because I have to wait for the game to load up.

Have you tried windowed mode? I dont think I could ever play fullscreen. Civ 4 just seems more responsive, and iirc it was really good with low end systems too, strange as it might be...

A hint for windowed mode is to go to the ini file in documents folder, and manually set the resolution. For 1680 X1050 I found setting height to 998 works really good when maximizing the window.

I would but I mostly play to make stories and windowed mode makes some terrible screenshots.

I have no idea but that is just how it is unfortunately

That would probably work. It ran suuuper slow though because it was late game and there was stuff everywhere :p but I'll look into that, thanks.

Interesting, the notes about TV and the history channel in particular. I don't own a TV, so I don't have one near my Civ environment. But sometimes, when playing Civ or other history-based games, I will have my laptop nearby to look up historical aspects of the game on Wikipedia. Which does sometimes lead to a Wikipedia linkfest and reading instead of playing.

Hmm.... This happens almost every day with me. :mischief:
I once was playing as Greece, and I discovered that there national anthem
is quite nice....

I've just changed mobo - games are responig with reduced .... oh hell !! skip this - games just suck and suck hard !!!! help ! "D please ! .... ;) should I just install drivers , will it help ? Should I buy a new comp :O (I think I should)

Votes new comp :).

Seriously kiddo, The little HP lappy I got last year runs every mod beautifully ( and we're talking RI and C2C mods too :woohoo:), and cost me less than $400 USD.

Does the old mobo still work?

It couldn't hurt to install the drivers from the manufacturer's website - that is generally recommended. It could certainly explain some issues. In particular, if there are integrated graphics on the mobo that are different than your old ones, that would explain issues with games. For example, back in the day some Intel CPU boards came with Intel integrated graphics, but others came with nVIDIA or ATI integrated graphics (this is before Intel CPUs came with graphics on the CPU itself, which was relatively recently). Switching between those would definitely require new drivers to respond well.

Failing that, it may be time to start window-shopping (and perhaps actually shopping) for a full replacement.

Top Bottom