Things you only just now realized

after watching MadDjinn's Maya LP i learned that for diplomatic reasons choosing Order as policy will have a negative modifier on someone who has Autocracy. He took Autocracy to stay friends with the Mongols who were the powerhouse when Order opener would have been more beneficial for happiness.

this leads me to believe that any policies that have requirements like 'you cant adopt while 'x' is active' will have diplo effects. i just now realized this.

this leads me to believe that any policies that have requirements like 'you cant adopt while 'x' is active' will have diplo effects. i just now realized this.

No, not any policies - just the 3 modern trees - Freedom, Order, and Autocracy. They'll all give a bonus if you share and a malus if you oppose. Piety and Rationalism don't do this.

Am playing as Sweden now and I noticed with intrigue, that almost everyone wants to be friends, like 6 out of 7 AIs. Does the game data or XML indicate anything that AIs tend to like Sweden a lot or is it just another coincidence?

This might just be a snowball effect, since being friends of friends gives a bonus to relations, AIs that aren't angry will all tend to DoF each other and you. Same way that one denouncer can suddenly have every AI denouncing you, or everyone will dogpile on another AI that got denounced.

No, not any policies - just the 3 modern trees - Freedom, Order, and Autocracy. They'll all give a bonus if you share and a malus if you oppose. Piety and Rationalism don't do this.

ah, good to know. thanks.

Since it's not that big for its own thread, I thought I should do a check with everyone:

Am playing as Sweden now and I noticed with intrigue, that almost everyone wants to be friends, like 6 out of 7 AIs. Does the game data or XML indicate anything that AIs tend to like Sweden a lot or is it just another coincidence? I'm usually very diplomatic so I don't do things like expand or buy tiles if they asked me not to, but I would deny requests to ignore CS bullying or no CS allying, or make friends with their enemies.

It's a coincidence. If you don't go to war, don't settle too quickly or too close to the AI's borders, don't build many early wonders, and swap embassies that will automatically make most AIs friendly towards you. That will change over time as the free land gets sucked up, Industrial Era policies come into play, and competition for city states ramps up.

Though sometimes boats are exempted; or, finishing cities is different, or, any time you have enough movement to attack from the next tile and it calculates a win, it lets the attack go from the occupid tile.

What I am sure of is that just last night I told my destroyer to attack one of Mongolia's puppet cities that was at 0hp and it attacked from the same tile that held an Iroquous frigate.

The projected path, which I had enough movement for, was to reflect out and back after the frigate and then attack, but the boat was feeling pretty tired I guess, I mean it was pretty late at night, so.

Like you said with the destroyer, it's project path took it out of the tile, even if the graphic didn't show it. But I was really only talking about cases where you have one movement left and you could destroy the unit in an adjacent tile but it won't let you. What really sucks is the computer will let you move into a tile with another unit when you tell it to move/attack but then gets to the tile and won't let you actually attack so you have to move it somewhere else.

And if there is no empty adjacent tiles to move into, it won't let you move to the tile with your other unit at all even if you could definitely kill the enemy unit.

I've got one. Maybe it's stupid that it didn't occur to me sooner, but in the game I'm playing now I got the idea to, rather than DoW someone, go to another civ, offer to DoW on that civ I want to hurt, and ask "what will you give me for this?" I can get some gold for it and-- I'm just assuming here-- I don't think I'll get a diplomacy hit for starting a war with the civ I made the trade with (although I'd still get a hit for removing them from the game). If someone can confirm that, cool. Otherwise it's still nice to get paid for a war I was planning to start anyway.

I've got one. Maybe it's stupid that it didn't occur to me sooner, but in the game I'm playing now I got the idea to, rather than DoW someone, go to another civ, offer to DoW on that civ I want to hurt, and ask "what will you give me for this?" I can get some gold for it and-- I'm just assuming here-- I don't think I'll get a diplomacy hit for starting a war with the civ I made the trade with (although I'd still get a hit for removing them from the game). If someone can confirm that, cool. Otherwise it's still nice to get paid for a war I was planning to start anyway.

if you pay attention to who is friends/denounced by who it's a great tactic. if someone wants you to join them in a war its a good indicator of asking for payment for it. but if you ask for payment from someone and they are friends and not interested there might be a diplo hit. and now that there's spies im wondering if that is also intrigue that can be shared by AIs.

Automated workers remove tile improvements on strategic ressources to connect them, even when the "workers leave old improvments alone" option is checked.

There is currently a glitch when stealing techs via espionage: Since the LUA scripts seem to lag a bit, the golden "Steal Tech" button is not instantly removed after stealing the tech - you can quickly press it again and grab another one!

Huh, cool.

been playing since vanilla

only realised that trade posts on jungles ( or forests) dont destroy them and retain the science bonus /faceplam

What I just now realized was that I can hit Ctrl + R to show the resources on the world map. I saw it on every screenshot and thought that it was a mod of some kind.

There are a lot of useful things in the manual, but who reads it? It is close to 300 pages :D

Bribe AI to attack your ally CS (or even more than one) or just notice when an AI DOW on an ally CS.

Declare war on that AI after the request that CS needs help, thus locking the AI from requesting peace to CS, just defeat 3+ units or give units to CS and get a huge boost in CS influence.

Technically not an exploit since it makes sense an ally civ will DOW on the AI who declare war on their CS allies. You get a minor diplo hit for aggression but if you already have friends and they aren't friends with that AI, then it's a great bonus.

It is an exploit. It's essentially entrapment. They're only declaring war because you paid them too.

It's not an exploit if your AI is stupid enough to DOW without you bribing - as I had it occur in a bunch of my games already.

Though sometimes boats are exempted; or, finishing cities is different, or, any time you have enough movement to attack from the next tile and it calculates a win, it lets the attack go from the occupid tile.

What I am sure of is that just last night I told my destroyer to attack one of Mongolia's puppet cities that was at 0hp and it attacked from the same tile that held an Iroquous frigate.

The projected path, which I had enough movement for, was to reflect out and back after the frigate and then attack, but the boat was feeling pretty tired I guess, I mean it was pretty late at night, so.

Like you said with the destroyer, it's project path took it out of the tile, even if the graphic didn't show it. But I was really only talking about cases where you have one movement left and you could destroy the unit in an adjacent tile but it won't let you. What really sucks is the computer will let you move into a tile with another unit when you tell it to move/attack but then gets to the tile and won't let you actually attack so you have to move it somewhere else.

And if there is no empty adjacent tiles to move into, it won't let you move to the tile with your other unit at all even if you could definitely kill the enemy unit.

I'd like to add to this when it concerns boats. I recently experienced a situation where boats would stack after an attack. I sent one ship to attack a city, and it did. The next boat I sent it showed a path that would attack from an adjacent tile. I clicked 'attack' and instead of taking the path it showed (for which it had enough movement points to execute) it stopped at the tile where my other unit was and attacked. It was then stacked on top of the other unit and then was teleported to an adjacent tile at the beginning of the next turn. This happened a few times. :confused:

I was using mods, so that might have been the problem.

That you can't liberate city states Austria has married into. They had taken four so I went to war to liberate them. Waste of time.

That coast-only ships (Triremes and Galleases) can enter Ocean tiles if they're in your territory. *slaps forehead*

If you capture a city and annex it, then sell it away, not only does the social policy cost not go back down, but if you go settle another city, it goes up again.

I thought the policy cost was proportional to the highest amount of cities you had at any given time, not the total number of cities you have owned.

I realized that the library "button" thing isn't an old man with a beard. For some reason I thought that it was a picture of an old man with a beard instead of a Library. The white on the cloak of the person looks like hair and a beard when you don't focus on it a lot.

look here: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/buildings

Top Bottom