Is civilization 5 over?

Why's everyone getting so excited for Civ VI? This is the fans' time; we now have the opportunity to mold the game to our liking without the risk of Firaxis putting up an update that breaks all of our code.

Fortunately Ed Beach and co. have done such a fine job that I only really want some minor tweaks to fine tune the game.

Some people just aren't into mods and most people like new things.
Personally I'm more looking forward to the pre-release discussions about Civ IV then the game itself.

Yeah, speculation and discussion of the first screenshot of Civ6 will overheat the servers of Civfanatics :lol:

Is it one unit per tile?
I see fish!
Can anybody read the text?
That brown pixel is an Impi!
No it's a bison resource!
One of the leaders in the diplomacy screen starts with and "A"!
That must be Alexander!
No it's Ashoka!
Why no religions!
etc..

Speculations are great. Looking forward to them.:)

Yes you are right. Interesting read in that context: So he was lead AI programmer for Civ V Vanilla, well...

Thanks for linking to that terrific article! I am a little confused as I cannot quite reconcile Ed Beach being the lead AI programmer for Civ V with the assertion that he got a cold-call asking if he was up for fixing V? But maybe that cold call was before V was released?

You don't see GTA or games like that releasing "expansions" for its games;

You mean GTA like in "GTA IV" - which (if I remeber correctly) actually got two expansions ("The Lost and the Damned" and "Ballad of gay Tony")? ;)

Thanks for linking to that terrific article! I am a little confused as I cannot quite reconcile Ed Beach being the lead AI programmer for Civ V with the assertion that he got a cold-call asking if he was up for fixing V? But maybe that cold call was before V was released?

You're welcome! :) Yes, it's not totally clear. That's why I also thought he actually was not around when Civ V development started.

Imo. people have a bit of a black and white impression of who were the good guys and the bad guys in Civ5 development, painting Ed Beach as the knight in shining armor who rode in and saved the day in the heat of battle when things looked bad after vanilla release. I'm not saying this to discredit Ed and what he - and the team - has accomplished with G&K and BnW, but from all I've read Ed was part of the original design team as well (and, if that article holds true, responsible for the AI diplomacy programming which, eh, let's be honest, still leaves a lot to be desired), and I think it's neither fair nor accurate to label John Schafer with the responsibility for everything that was bad with vanilla and Ed Beach with everything that's good post BnW. Many things were probably tweaked along the way as experience showed what worked and what didn't, and most likely many features that were left out of vanilla but later included were at least partially designed or at least planned for later inclusion even at the time of vanilla release.

I've been a fan since the game's first inception and I haven't a clue what you're on about

That perhaps means you think your a fan when your actually not?

Only thing required to get what i ment is being able to think, and liked the franchise for a long time, and the point i ment should come up by itself unless 1 of those 2 things isnt possible for somebody.

Imo. people have a bit of a black and white impression of who were the good guys and the bad guys in Civ5 development, painting Ed Beach as the knight in shining armor who rode in and saved the day in the heat of battle when things looked bad after vanilla release.

Fully agree here. As said, he was lead AI programmer on Vanilla. And AI in Vanilla did not shine at all...

That perhaps means you think your a fan when your actually not?
'scuse me?
Who are you to decide if I'm a fan or not? I've played thousands of hours of Civ, and seriously enjoy the game, every incarnation of it.
Only thing required to get what i ment is being able to think, and liked the franchise for a long time, and the point i ment should come up by itself unless 1 of those 2 things isnt possible for somebody.
I still don't know what you're on about. Can you explain what you mean to me, a (in your ivory tower) non-fan, your highness?

Complete is just marketing name for a game bundle, and as such it should never be taken as official confirmation that there will not be anymore new content for some game.

Could be? I remember that EU 3 first had a ''Complete Edition" which had 2 expacs and then the true full bundle was "Chronicles" which had all 4 expacs. So maybe it is not still the end?

Edit: Deleted it.

Moderator Action: Since this is an English language site, please revise your post to provide a translation of any foreign language content.

I hope for Civ 6 they hire someone who knows AI. :D

It would be so great if they hired the guy who programmed the AI for Unity of Command, it's so excellent it will blow your mind, there's nothing quite like it out there. Unity of Command is also a hex-game and while the AI has much fewer options to think about than in a civ game, what it can do in terms of unit placement is so excellent it really feels like you play against a really mean human who knows exactly what he's doing. Granted, rarely there are minor AI hiccups a human probably wouldn't do but they are so few and far between you could play the whole campaign and count the stupid AI moves on one hand.

Unfortunately it is a purely defensive AI, that is excellent at hindering your progress, but according to the developer it only ever considers the current turn and doesn't plan into the future, which would be necessary for a Civ game. Regardless, the person who made that fantastic AI happen was clearly very talented and I'd be surprised if he couldn't do better than current Civ 5 AI.

Some people just aren't into mods and most people like new things.
Personally I'm more looking forward to the pre-release discussions about Civ IV then the game itself.

Civ IV? Think that's one been discussed enough. A long time ago in fact! :lol:

Moderator Action: Since this is an English language site, please revise your post to provide a translation of any foreign language content.

I was speaking directly to player1 fanatic. I will revise it so that it looks that it is relating to him.

Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator action is strictly prohibited. PM the moderator in question next time you have a query regarding a moderator action.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The fact that your comment is directed to a specific person is not relevant. You still need to provide a translation.

Will they not be working on converting Civ5 to openGL to get into linux in time to launch with SteamOS? From what I understand that will take some effort

I think the comparison with other game "add-ons" is invalid, as civ add-ons traditionally introduce new mechanics, as well as new content, buffs and nerfs. The new mechanics thing does actually mean we have "incomplete" games in vanilla versions. Certainly civ5 felt like this. If all mechanics were in place (religion, trade etc) on civ6 vanilla and the add ons were just content and rebalancing, I would actually be pleased. Essentially an add on should feel like a major patch. If should not introduce new mechanics as that essentially means the vanilla game was truly incomplete and even a bit half-added to be honest, disingenuous towards the consumer.

Top Bottom