Force start bias?

robincox

Warlord
In my opinion the civs different start biases doesn't do much. I seldom get to start in jungle as Brazil or in the desert as Morocco. Does anyone know if there is a mod out there that forces the different civs to start at a location that their start biases says?

Not sure about a mod, but I will say that the larger the map, the more likely you are to get your start bias and lots of it. The larger the map, the more room there is per civ, so there are more places for each civ to get it's bias.

Also, smaller maps have less total room, meaning each feature is smaller (that is, jungles, deserts, mountain ranges, etc. are made up of fewer tiles). It's obvious if you think about it, but that means that on a huge map, Morocco might start in the middle of a desert that can support 4 or 5 cities totally within it's confines. Jungles, on huge maps, can often support a liberty wide start, with 5-6 tiles between each city, and each city with mostly jungle in them.

In my experience, standard size maps often give you your start bias, but the land changes so quickly that it doesn't dominate your starting area. Tiny maps give very little of any type of land in large enough quantities to take advantage of any type of land in one city. Huge maps give massive swaths of land that can really be abused by civs with a start bias that benefits them.

Note that the real earth map disables start bias entirely as do fixed maps.
It also appears from me making several maps on Small Continents that desert bias may be effectively disabled entirely on that one.

The regions that tend to be smaller percentage in a given game have the least reliable starting biases. The addition of Morocco may as a side effect decreased the change of Arabia getting a desert start. (There's unlikely to be enough desert tiles for both Morocco & Arabia to get a desert start.)

You can try to use advanced settings controls to try to increase. (For more desert, select both Hot & Arid, for more jungle, select both Hot & Rainy)

The game also has a "restart" option you can click on turn 0 if you feel you don't have any tiles in your starting bias within your immediate area.

Top Bottom