"Fall of Rome" has a relatively short turn wait. Why?

feldmarshall

Dictator
I just played the Fall of Rome scenario as the Goths, and I found (pleasantly), that the wait time when I press "Next turn" and when the AIs are playing their turn was much shorter than other scenarios (e.g. into the Renaissance, Conquest of the New World deluxe) with such a large map and a large number of Civs.

Why? Is there something unique in this scenario that allows the AI to play their turn quickly in terms of CPU use? Or is there something wrong with the other scenarios/games?

Of course, I'm not complaining, this is very good :goodjob: I'm just curious if by disabling some feature I can significantly reduce the wait time when doing "Next turn" :D

Well, Fall of Rome doesn't have any trade routes, so it's not moving caravans & cargo ships around.

There's also no city states at all (no city state units to move around)

And the final factor is that both Romes start with a very small army.

Well, Fall of Rome doesn't have any trade routes, so it's not moving caravans & cargo ships around.

There's also no city states at all (no city state units to move around)

And the final factor is that both Romes start with a very small army.

Is the movements of trade units, city state units or Roman army really make that much difference? I mean, computationally, computing those should be easy. I suspect what's taking most time between turns is the AI's computation, i.e. when it is thinking what it should do. I wonder which of the scenario's simplifications made the most difference in this speed boost

Ahhh. You are forgetting that CS's are handled almost exactly the same way that a full fledged AI Civ is handled. I play with a ton of CS usually and my turn times are just insane.

Is the movements of trade units, city state units or Roman army really make that much difference? I mean, computationally, computing those should be easy. I suspect what's taking most time between turns is the AI's computation, i.e. when it is thinking what it should do. I wonder which of the scenario's simplifications made the most difference in this speed boost

Actually what takes the longest in normal view between turns is moving the darn pieces around the map in normal view. Switching to strategic mode before hitting end turn in normal games virtually eliminates the waiting.

Actually what takes the longest in normal view between turns is moving the darn pieces around the map in normal view. Switching to strategic mode before hitting end turn in normal games virtually eliminates the waiting.

Hmm.. not for me, it seems like the wait time is not much different between strategic and normal view, except when I am forced to watch a lot of battles/movement animation. In which case, the strategic view is way faster

Top Bottom