Interception does no damage

seamus2010

Chieftain
I recently discovered that interception in my game does no damage at all.

The animation plays correctly, the interceptor, be it SAM or fighters, will visually engage the attacker.

Then, a message will display. Something like: thanks to your intercepting Fighter, an enemy Bomber that attacked your Infantry suffered 33 damage. To further make sure, I can see the enemy Bomber returning to base, a red -33 marker over it. I can also see my Fighter gaining +2 EXP for the interception.

HOWEVER, that is a LIE. The 33 damage (or whatever the amount) is the damage inflicted to the Bomber by the TARGET in normal combat, not interception damage. The enemy Bomber still suffers 33 damage when I replay the scenario and take away my intercepting Fighter.

I have tested this many times, with me as both attacker and defender. The damage the attacking Bomber (No Evasion promotion involved!) suffers does not vary, be it intercepted or not, despite the animation playing correctly.

With me on the attack, I'll have for example a Bomber vs a GW Infantry. The tooltip shows that I'll suffer 15 damage, and target will suffer 50 damage, and that there is one interceptor (a Mobile SAM for example). I attack, sure enough, the enemy Mobile SAM plays its interception animation, and by the end, my Bomber takes 15 damage and the GW Infantry takes 50 damage, just like the tooltip says. I replay the scenario and take away the enemy Mobile SAM, the result is the same.

Please help?!

Version: Brave New World

This sounds like bad news, there's already been a lot of discussion going on about wonky behaviour of interception. I usually seem to have pretty good with interceptions (Fighters will insta-kill an GW Bomber for instance), so I do think it sometimes work. Just for reference, which version are you playing?

I set up a dual advanced start (information era) and tested. I did a small test with bombes versus cities (I used hotseat) with interceptors and without and my bombers got different damage. The animation something for the interception did not play, but the damage was there for it.

But I did only a small test. Also, I did not reload for the test. I rested for some turns and continued (and also, no important promotions.

I set up a dual advanced start (information era) and tested. I did a small test with bombes versus cities (I used hotseat) with interceptors and without and my bombers got different damage. The animation something for the interception did not play, but the damage was there for it.

But I did only a small test. Also, I did not reload for the test. I rested for some turns and continued (and also, no important promotions.

What kind of damage were your Bombers suffering with enemy interceptors? And without?

Have you tried testing against units? For example, put two Mobile SAMs next to a Mechanized Inf. Use two Bombers to attack the Mec Inf. Record damage suffered by Bombers and the Mec Inf. Reload, remove the SAMs and do the same thing. The animation plays when the target's a unit, but I get almost the exact same damage suffered and dealt with or without the SAMs.

Did some more testing and my first run against the city (no sam or fighters), my bombers got 36, 32 and 40 damage. I also used three fighters in the run against city and they got 42, 42 and 40 damage.

When I put a SAM next to a unit and bombed the that unit, my first bomer got shot down by the SAM. My next bomber got 33 damage.

After some good rest for everyone my bomers got 33, 30 and 27 damage. Again, if I put the SAM unit next to the city, it shots down a bomber.

Simple test with screenshot

1 Bomber, 1 enemy MecInf, 1 enemy SAM, all freshly spawned, no promotions

Bomber attacks MecInf, predicted damage 31-28 (predicted damage does not take interception into account, as it should be)
Spoiler :

Enemy SAM intercepts, according to animation
Spoiler :

Actual damage 35-30, not far from predicted damage, even with a SAM interception!
Spoiler :

Reload, or don't, it doesn't matter.
Remove the enemy SAM, same predicted damage, as it should be
Spoiler :

Bombing run
Spoiler :

Actual damage 35-32, ironically the Bomber suffered slightly more damage without the enemy SAM...

Spoiler :

This can be repeated many times with similar results

When I used SAM in my test, it nearly always killed the bomber. Of six bombers, only one survived. Also, I didn't reload (since reload makes the game use the same random seed numbers), I bomb, waited a turn and bombed the next marine with a new bomber and so on. So I always had a fresh bomber a fresh marine. Against the city I just bombed on since cities always use their max defence, regardless of damage. The result was nearly the same. With SAM, bye bye bomber, without, my bomer got anyting between 25 to 40 in damage.

I'm no expert, but I do know there is some kind of success rate applied to an interception. Not all interceptions are successful.

I'm not sure if a "failed interception" shows as not even trying or, as you've seen, you get all the animation but no damage!

AA and SAM units have a 100% chance to intercept, allegedly. Jet fighters do (ie should) too. I seem to recall a few other threads in the past about how intercept is broken. The conclusion reached in those was never build fighters, use AA guns instead.

Oh yeah, unless random seed is enabled, reloading should make no difference if the first attempt failed to begin with. Then again, it should have a 100% success rate...

Is your game up to date with the latest patches?
Are you using any mods?

I don't recall ever having this issue myself. My interceptions have worked perfectly fine.

After extensive testing, I found the source of the problem. Whenever I have DLL - Various Mod Components (v63) enabled, the bug occurs. DLL-dependent mods don't have to be activated for the bug to occur.

Could any of you kind souls run some tests with DLL - Various Mod Components (v63) (no submod required, just DLL), and see if you can replicate my problem?

Here is the link
http://www.picknmixmods.com/mods/d1b6328c-ff44-4b0d-aad7-c657f83610cd/mod.html

The bug occurs in v53 as well as latest version.

Top Bottom