Crippling glitch

TheWhiteZombie

Chieftain
Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but there are very few places to make requests concerning civ 3 with any hope they would be noticed let alone answered. Some friends (who are mostly new to the TBS genre) and I were hoping to start a long-term game and since CIV 3 was on steam sale, I bought copies for the whole group. We started a regular practice game just feel out the system to make sure they were interested (and they were!) however player #5's units would move twice.

His troops would auto-move at the beginning of his turn, he would do as he pleased with his worker and his city, select end turn, then "continue game", as we were using the PBEM system as hotseat, and then his units would all move again. Meaning all of his units moved twice for every one of ours. I did not think to check to see if his research or production progressed as well, I will confirm that and update this post. If it matters, I did put a few AI's in, in the hopes they would encounter a rival civilization in the short demo we had. Player #5 was the last human player before the AI's had their turn and then it circled around to myself again.

I will try a few different experiments, such as removing all of the AI's or leaving the player 5 slot empty. I was hoping someone here would have prior experience with this issue. I will upgrade to civ 4 if I have to, however I would like to avoid the $140 for 7 copies!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid this issue, that would be great! Everyone is really excited and I would love to initiate 7 more people into the TBS genre!

Thank you for your time.

With respect to player #5 exploiting game mechanics like that...

I have a game called Love Letter. It's a card game where one of the cards asks you to guess what's in another player's hand -- if you get it right, he's out.

The rulebook notes that a player could lie to avoid losing the round in that way, but it advises not playing with knaves who cheat at cards.

I don't know about the movement of all units, but the fact that workers work twice as fast, if someone hits "continue game", is a well-known bug in the PBEM system. (It can be avoided, if you hit "Save" instead of "Continue Game" and then load the save file again... But that's tedious...)

The Hotseat system however works bugfree (as far as I can tell), so why don't you use that? Or if you have multiple PCs/laptops in a LAN, you could even use the turn-based LAN system? (I have used the simultaneous LAN system with friends before, and it was fine, so I assume the turn-based LAN system should be ok as well.)

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions as you'll most likely get a response there and this thread has nothing to do with play by email. Good luck in getting your issue sorted out.

Sorry for not responding to my own post for so long, the issue is that we want to set up a game so we can start it one night (hotseat) and then switch to PBEM for the duration of the game. As far as this glitch goes, it sounds like it only happens in PBEM games being played as hotseat? And it only affects the last player? I might just shell out for civ 4 rather than deal with it...

Top Bottom